Those who got terrapins please come in..

Poor old man

Suspended
Reaction score
how is it doing?

Tu4gr6f.jpg

Starts to grown abit .. and good thing she is bk to pellets

Linuslook

Reaction score
They needed a huge tank with good filter and they actually can be free roam and fed outside the tank.

axelpuppy

Reaction score
Need some advice. I have 2 large terrapins, about 5 inches each. They’re housed in a small tub right now, but they’ve really outgrown it. What options do I have to properly house them? Should I go for a 4ft glass tank or look for a similar plastic tub? I stay in hdb so my options are limited.

kreja

Master Member
Reaction score
Need some advice. I have 2 large terrapins, about 5 inches each. They’re housed in a small tub right now, but they’ve really outgrown it. What options do I have to properly house them? Should I go for a 4ft glass tank or look for a similar plastic tub? I stay in hdb so my options are limited.
i went for 2 4ft tanks.
small tub->2x 2ft tanks->2x 4ft tanks

axelpuppy

Reaction score
i went for 2 4ft tanks.
small tub->2x 2ft tanks->2x 4ft tanks

Wow, that is a very big upgrade! May I know what kind of filtration you use for your 4ft tanks? I don't intend to keep the water level too high, and this limits the kinds of filters that I can use.

Computeron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have 4 big ones... I wanted to set them free in condo..
but my daughter refused.
have to wash n replace the tub water every now and then...

axelpuppy

Reaction score
I'm also interested in what uva and/or uvb bulbs I should use for my 2 adult terrapins. I'm currently using a cheap uva+uvb bulb from a Carousell seller, but I'm not sure how effective it is, or if it's doing more harm than good.

Amuroraysg

Master Member
Reaction score
I think my small res is sick, from the way it look probably lung infection, anybody know how much it cost to see vet for this kind of issue?

Poor guy not eating at all and swing slightly wai wai..

Vet entertain walk in? Or strictly appointment?

Any vet near punggol area?

donut88

Reaction score
Which filter recommended for terrapin?

My tank is 60cm long and always low water level.

Hyutarou

Reaction score
I think my small res is sick, from the way it look probably lung infection, anybody know how much it cost to see vet for this kind of issue?

Poor guy not eating at all and swing slightly wai wai..

Vet entertain walk in? Or strictly appointment?

Any vet near punggol area?

Sharing my experience with my res who passed away last month.

I can recommend all pets (dr shamala) and my family vet (dr vennesa). Not a lot of vet see turtles though. Can walk in, but best to call first. All pets got other vet, my family vet always looking queue.

Consultation around $20+ to $30~ if add X-ray will cost over $100. Cheaper than human IMO.

Lung infection they will give anti biotics and vitamins. Check for breathing sound. Best keep it out of water for now.

Not eating, you will need to force feed using syringe. It's a challenge opening their mouth though.

RES are very tough, they can last a few months not eating. But at the same time, they can hide their sickness. Drop me a PM if you need any help, good luck.

Hyutarou

Reaction score
Guys, just curious did anyone encounter such turtle before?

I have a female res, 5 years old. She would stop eating for 3-4 weeks. Then she will slowly pick up her appetite and eat like siao for 1 week. After that she will lose appetite for another 3-4 weeks and the cycle repeats. This happen last year during April-August period I guess.

Yes she has laid eggs before, 4 years ago, but since, I have separated her away from the male and she stopped laying eggs.

Is this normal?
Suspect you over feed. Turtles have wild instinct to eat anything when available. They also digest slow.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.