Tommy Koh: we can’t distinguish ceca over local Indian. You agree?

Manthink

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Errr..No one is suggesting gov policy exist in a vacuum - that was why GE2011 lead to major swing against the PAP - like I said from immigration to housing to transport to job opportunities.

However, unlike 10 years ago , SGreans now witness more open tension in the mist of the Pandemic, not because over race, but over the policy of open bias against SGreans within the context how CECA is perceived to impact SGrean directly - All these goes BEYOND the internet forum and social media now. That basically also address your question why Tommy make noise in ST Forum only today and not in 2011.

Policy don't just exist in a vacuum itself. The influx of foreigners is the result of said policy. And what was the main influx at that time? The tiongs and pinoys. Ask any of the other old birds in this forum and they can tell you the same thing. Whole pages of the forum complaining about the presence of tiongs and pinoy.

The dislike largely correlates to whichever the gahment decides to bring in more of at a particular time or whatever incidents that happened during the time period. Now that many of the tiongs have gone back due to better prospects being offered at home, the dislike has lessened somewhat.

The gahment thought that sinkies would be more accepting of cecas than the tiongs but they were dead wrong. They were likely pushed by the ceca gahment to let in more as well.

Just because we dislike ceca now doesn't mean we have no problems with bringing in more tiongs/pinoy/etc to replace them. We don't like having so many foreigners as a whole which is why we are against the idea of 6.9m/10m. If they switch out the cecas to bring in more of the tiongs again, we will dislike it as well.

:(

Laneige

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
He cannot tell doesn't mean other people cannot tell. You ask any local Malay can they tell a local, Malaysian Malay and an Indonesian speaking their behasa. Can tell one.
I cannot tell leh
i think female local indian and femal CECA indian lagi easier to tell
wa this 1 I think I can tell. ‘nose 鼻孔 see ppl.’ .......???

uselessbum

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Errr..No one is suggesting gov policy exist in a vacuum - that was why GE2011 lead to major swing against the PAP - like I said from immigration to housing to transport to job opportunities.

However, unlike 10 years ago , SGreans now witness more open tension in the mist of the Pandemic, not because over race, but over the policy of open bias against SGreans within the context how CECA is perceived to impact SGrean directly - All these goes BEYOND the internet forum and social media now. That basically also address your question why Tommy make noise in ST Forum only today and not in 2011.

And I'm saying that that the tiongs were part of the issue back then as well as evidenced by the large number of threads complaining about them.

The reason I'm questioning tommy is because back then our sinkie chinese were being mistakened for tiongs as well but he kept quiet. Now he suddenly come out to show concern that our sinkie indians are being mistakened for ceca? Also, he knows very well why there is so much confusion and distrust but he is being disingenuous about it by acting blur. Just as the tiong influx irritated us back then, so has the ceca one.

Last edited:

Manthink

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I voted in 2011 and knew the driving concern had everything to do with PAP loosing touch with SGreans and remember the shock PAP had with the election results...

The question TODAY is NOT about race - the concern NOW is CECA imports are seen to be different from SGreans in value, attitude and sense of belonging.

That is a fact the PAP gov has no control over.

You’re trying to side step things here. During the 2011 election people we already irritated but that time it was more PRC than Indians because of the influx of unruly Chinese behaviours.

don’t need to fun fact because it is not accurate

cloudnim

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alot taxi uncles comment i look tiong and plus i speak chinese to them even though i local born. So yah some cant tell the differences

Laneige

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alot taxi uncles comment i look tiong and plus i speak chinese to them even though i local born. So yah some cant tell the differences
msian said I speaks with msia accents. Jin jialat. Nowadays msian in lots of trades. U talk to them in mandarin their msia accent come out then I don’t know why now I also find myself sometimes have msia accent out. Walao 😂

soaresb

Master Member
Reaction score
He's right. He should go and correct Shan and the other ministers for jumping to the conclusion that the recent incidents are about race when it's probably due to CECA

Ohayo!

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what are the facts?

facts that employers are hiring more of a single nationality (not disclosed too)

they can only give sweeping statements like they create jobs for sinkies but what kind of jobs? where are the stats?

Manthink

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LOL Nicely said !

Your observation precisely supports the perception that in general CECA'ian are FAR less likely to integrate into SG social values as compare to new Chinese migrants....hence u admit having hard time diferentiating naturalised and local Chinese SGreans.

Perhaps that shouldn't be a surprise for a Chinese-majority country, considering CECAain comes from a country that retains Caste-based system gov'd by a confrontation political system since independence...Far removed from Confucius-oriented SG where society matters above invidualism.

That difference may also explain why Indian themselve had been fleeing their Motherland during good and (now) bad times...

Tommy himself, should know better.

The reason I'm questioning tommy is because back then our sinkie chinese were being mistakened for tiongs as well but he kept quiet. Now he suddenly come out to show concern that our sinkie indians are being mistakened for ceca? Also, he knows very well why there is so much confusion and distrust but he is being disingenuous about it by acting blur.

Last edited:

occifer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some people cant even differentiate a pinoy doctor from a msian doctor :(

Last edited:

uselessbum

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LOL Nicely said !

Your observation precisely supports the perception that in general the CECA'ian less likely to integrate into SG social values as compare to new Chinese migrants.

Perhaps that shouldn't be a surprised since SG is largely a Chinese-majority country while CECAain comes from a country that retains largely caste-based system gov by a confrontation political system...a far removed Confucius-oriented SG where society matters above invidualism.

That futher explains why Indian themselve are fleeing their Motherland during good and (now) bad times...

i cannot agree with that and I believe most of my fellow sinkies won't either. We simply don't like so many immigrants regardless of where they come from. I never viewed the tiongs as being more suited for sg than ceca and I likely never will.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.