Tommy Koh: we can’t distinguish ceca over local Indian. You agree?

somewhat

Reaction score
If Sg is racist, how can

1) Indian lady be the president
2) most admirable politician is an Indian (Tharman)
3) Chief Justice be an Indian
4) Head of MAS be an Indian
5) 5 Indian full ministers (Tharman, Shan, Indranee, Vivian, and Iswaran) in a 20 person cabinet. This is 25% against their 7% population ratio.

Tommy better shut his mouth and not try to divert the attention from the real CECA problem.

busfreaks

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask him dun assume or xeno. Just 1 or 2 isolated cases. We are a racial harmony country.

virtualape

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its quite obvious this tommy koh hasnt been interacting enough with foreign indians across the different caste. some eg based on my personal interaction with them ranging from ordering meals to business meetings.

they will shake their heads when they talk or when its ok. a mix of low to mid level. my sinkie indian friends dont.

mid to senior level: their indian english accent is much thicker. my sinkie indian friends some have a mild tinge of indian when they speak. some are just normal singlish sounding. if you close your eyes, you wont know is indian sinkie speaking.

Manthink

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LKY said India is "not a real country" but "32 separate nations"...
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ceful-role-model-even-for-dissenters-in-india
I interact with many CECA. They can be quite different as well.
North ones are fairer, higher caste/class, smooth talkers. Actually they can be more polite and considerate (sometimes). But more often than not quite guailan.
South ones a bit more similar to locals. Darker skin.
Funny thing is that they sometimes don't talk to each other and even prefer to talk to other races other then their own people from same country. Caste system is very strong.

eeLoyH

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I voted in 2011 and knew the driving concern had everything to do with PAP loosing touch with SGreans and remember the shock PAP had with the election results...

The question TODAY is NOT about race - the concern NOW is CECA imports are seen to be different from SGreans in value, attitude and sense of belonging.

That is a fact the PAP gov has no control over.
Stop pivoting so many times. First you keep pointing out race and pin ceca down then you say it’s not about race.

fact is you’re a tiong and you benefited from the import yourself.

lucifer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

really gong Jiao wei, Lim peh one look can tell who is ceca who is our local Indian.

some more he said there is a perception of too many ceca here? did he go and walk in Chennai Buisness park and visit Bayshore condo in east coast????

Tell him **** off la.

I can tell between the difference between my Singaporean brothers and the ******* CECA snakes.

bentos

Reaction score
Obviously in Ivory tower dont know whats going on on the ground.

PAP open leg policy to India/CECA is the cause of all these.

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Same rike we cannot distinguish our president and hawker ctr marcik

UptheToon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The only ones unable to distinguish properly between local and ceca Indians are the ones wearing white and looking down from their ivory towers.

Manthink

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I personally had pleasure working with southern Indians with good work ethics and personal accountability - sadly those are VERY few and far in between.

in my company I worked for in the past decades, I have encountered many ceca.... so far only one from south india really impressed me.. he is very hard working, no politics, act like local, talk like local, i still maintain friendship with him.

Lss

Honorary Member
Reaction score

really gong Jiao wei, Lim peh one look can tell who is ceca who is our local Indian.

some more he said there is a perception of too many ceca here? did he go and walk in Chennai Buisness park and visit Bayshore condo in east coast????

bro. i walk outside got ppl think i from china ask me which province one. dont like this can. i born here and did NS. even my grandmother who passed away years ago also born here.

i agree with him that outward appearance isn't the best way to tell nationality and allegiance.

Manthink

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Who cares when our system now is based on "selected" presidency, regardless of race, language or religion ?

Gee....sound like 1 Country, 2 Standards leh...:grin:

Same rike we cannot distinguish our president and hawker ctr marcik

gohsan

Reaction score
If cannot tell the diff then during war between the two countries how to fight. Any how shoot

Manthink

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am curious of Minister Tharman, who is of southen Ceylonese Tamil ancestry. ... reaction to Peranakan Tommy Koh sweeping generalisation that "Indian" as a single race...

actually Tommy say until like that, doesn't it offend our native born Singaporean Indians ?

Already heard many stories about how the 2 groups buay gam....now people say they are indistinguishable from each other. :rolleyes:

Manthink

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I walked in HK, pple thought I am a local.
I walked in Hangzhou pple though i am Japanese.
I walked in Seoul, pple thought I am from China.

But when I go JB, I always kenna ketok.. HA! :grin:

bro. i walk outside got ppl think i from china ask me which province one. dont like this can. i born here and did NS. even my grandmother who passed away years ago also born here.

i agree with him that outward appearance isn't the best way to tell nationality and allegiance.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.