Trekking in nepal,anyone?

kitkat2

Reaction score
nov28 to dec14 is not really that winter. to me it's late autumn-early winter. hiked nepal 3 times and all them during december. cold, yes very cold but relatively snow free. should be no problem if stick to the main trail.

january to late spring is most dangerous due to heavy snow fall and hidden crevasess.

so, relax people. :)

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup. going solo. what's wrong? it's not like i'm climbing the Everest. chill lah. lots of people go trekking alone in this world. just need to be careful and well prepared can already.

anyway, back to my question. for those who have gone trekking in Nepal, how do you settle your backpack from SG? do u pack everything into a 40l and then check-in the flight? or can use a typical luggage case and then pack only what u need over there and leave the luggage in the hostel/hotel in KTM?

Ekspakk

Reaction score
yup. going solo. what's wrong? it's not like i'm climbing the Everest. chill lah. lots of people go trekking alone in this world. just need to be careful and well prepared can already.

anyway, back to my question. for those who have gone trekking in Nepal, how do you settle your backpack from SG? do u pack everything into a 40l and then check-in the flight? or can use a typical luggage case and then pack only what u need over there and leave the luggage in the hostel/hotel in KTM?
Personally I'll bring 1 backpack + 1 day pack maximum. Having a wheeled luggage in addition to 40L backpack won't be a problem during the hike itself since you can always leave your extra stuff at the hotel, but I will find it very troublesome when moving from from 1 place to another (e.g. Kathmandu to Pokhara).

I always prefer to travel light when traveling alone so that it's easier to move around and watch your things. One thing though, I haven't traveled in Nepal this long, so I'm not sure if you can fit all your stuff in a 40L backpack unless you bring only the bare minimum... so let's wait for other suggestion.

FlyingOhm

Reaction score
Just back from ktm few 3 days ago. For me , I'll do my packing over there . Leave my luggage and unnecessary stuff in the hotel in ktm

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally I'll bring 1 backpack + 1 day pack maximum. Having a wheeled luggage in addition to 40L backpack won't be a problem during the hike itself since you can always leave your extra stuff at the hotel, but I will find it very troublesome when moving from from 1 place to another (e.g. Kathmandu to Pokhara).

I always prefer to travel light when traveling alone so that it's easier to move around and watch your things. One thing though, I haven't traveled in Nepal this long, so I'm not sure if you can fit all your stuff in a 40L backpack unless you bring only the bare minimum... so let's wait for other suggestion.

Just back from ktm few 3 days ago. For me , I'll do my packing over there . Leave my luggage and unnecessary stuff in the hotel in ktm

thanks guys. so I guess it's ok to bring a wheeled luggage there and leave it in the hotel in KTM before I depart for my trek (doing the AC).

about the capacity of the backpack, is 40L enough? yes i'm trying to pack light. i read that we can actually rent there quite cheap (100 NPR a day or something). but may not be durable/clean? cos i am not sure how often i'll be using the backpack (esp. a big one) after this Nepal trip...

Reaction score

maumu you hike in snowy/high altitude condition before?
Not sure about your experience. trek solo on ABC is fine as the route is not that dangerous. Full AC trek without much experience in snow condition can be deadly.
I think at that time of year some of the high passes will already covered in snow. There is risk of avalanche. And you might lose sense of direction if heavy snow.

a guide/porter will understand the route better and they always have the latest condition of the road ahead. :)

Last edited:

Reaction score
about the capacity of the backpack, is 40L enough? yes i'm trying to pack light. i read that we can actually rent there quite cheap (100 NPR a day or something). but may not be durable/clean? cos i am not sure how often i'll be using the backpack (esp. a big one) after this Nepal trip...

you can rent down sleeping bag, down jacket, pants etc but not sure whether you can rent backpack :s13:
Maybe you should list down the things that you want to bring then you will know whether 40L is enough.
I think the bulkiest item will be the down sleeping bag.

artemov

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

Just wondering if anyone knows what are the entry and trekking requirements these days (vaccinations, forms, visa, TIMS, permits, ...)?
Also, what are the airlines that still fly from SIN to KTM, reasonably priced of cos :) I used to fly Thai.

Thinking of going this year end or early next year.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.