True DIY Home Automation Enthusiasts

redhouse

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are any other "more than your average" home automation enthusiasts, that design and build your own systems from scratch? Meaning, mostly you source, build and solder your own components, and write your own code and software. Currently all my devices are controlled by ESP8266/Arduino chips programmed from scratch, with Raspberry PI as the controlling server, and an android app for interface, completely no cloud required.

I have quite an extensive DIY setup, which range from control boxes/switches/relays, various sensors, to IR and RF receivers, all self-built and I'm wondering if anyone else has took on such a task similarly.

glarerder

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
plus 1. what materials do you use to build your own components besides the electronics? my set up are mostly manual but I'd like to have a choice to automate them one day as i made them to be "configurable". e.g. i made my own partition to separate the kitchen and dining/living room space and would remove the partition if more space is needed. I'd one day make it such that i can just push a button and the partition would move accordingly.

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
does the google nest mini, hub, max etc google assistance device able to support chinese command?

blackestvoid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
esp8266 and esp32 are the best DIY chioces out there with no hub needed if you so wish
or can integrate to whatever hubs you like with the libs or api

in my case no need for arduino or pi if running wifi network

can control "stupid" older devices that uses infrared with a infrared led and correct frequency
can control "stupid" older devices that uses commercial rf with a 315 or 433 transmitter
can make "stupid" lights smart with a relay and even incorporate timer function
list goes on

researching on controlling zigbee network using esp

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.