Uber & Grabcar driver lip lai - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcert

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/thumbs-private-hire-driver-tax-deduction-proposal

Thumbs up for private-hire driver tax deduction proposal
Praise for proposals that allow drivers to claim deductions on some expenses

Private-hire drivers and industry players are applauding proposed changes to the income tax code announced by the Ministry of Finance (MOF) last week.

The long-standing bugbear of not being able to account for rental and petrol when filing taxes is set to be resolved, with the MOF calling for public feedback on proposed amendments to the Income Tax Act, including one that will allow private-hire drivers to claim deductions on car-related expenses.

"When it announced (the proposal), everybody was so happy... Hopefully there is more to come," said Mr Mohamad Azan, 50, who owns a limousine business and drives for Grab part-time.

A spokesman for Grab said the company was glad MOF is considering the tax deductions, "following months of discussions and sharing of our drivers' typical costs".

"This will help drivers keep more of their hard-earned income, and we remain committed to looking at other ways of doing so, such as reducing daily operating costs through fuel discounts and rental rebates.

"We will also continue to liaise with all parties to ensure our drivers get a fair tax deduction policy that is easy to comply with," the spokesman said.

If the draft provision is approved, both taxi and private-hire drivers will be able to claim these expenses in the 2019 tax season, either at a ratio of 40 per cent of their total annual driving income, which includes incentives and excludes service fees paid to platform providers, or based on the actual amount of running expenses.

Currently, only taxi drivers are allowed to do so, based on the actual amount incurred.

Private-hire drivers will still be unable to claim capital allowance for purchase cost of cars.

"The (tax) deduction is good and fair to us," said Mr Johnson Koh, 46, a full-time Grab driver.

"You cannot put our capital into our earnings, that does not make sense at all."

Mr Koh said he makes close to $60,000 gross a year after Grab's 20 per cent commission, driving about 10 to 12 hours a day for the whole week. His rental, $75 a day, and petrol costs come up to about $35,000 a year.

For drivers like him, the proposed deductions can mean that, after reliefs, the assessable tax income is zero, said Mr Ang Hin Kee, executive adviser to the National Private Hire Vehicles Association (NPHVA).

Mr Ang had proposed the tax deductions after taking over the NPHVA role in February.

The MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC had also raised it in Parliament during the Committee of Supply debate in March.

Before the Private Hire Car Driver's Vocational Licence was introduced last year, private-hire drivers had to register as businesses and could therefore file for allowable business expenses.

With the new licence, many drivers could no longer claim tax deductions for doing essentially the same thing, Mr Ang said.

He said: "The tax issue actually affected the parity on the ground."

Mr Ang said the proposed tax deductions would ensure operators are not relying on artificial pull and push factors to attract and retain drivers and instead come up with good packages and business models to do so.

Transport economist Walter Theseira had similar observations.

"Both private hires and taxis are providing pretty much the same service as perceived by commuters, so, as far as it is practical, they ought to be treated equivalently. Otherwise over time there will be market distortions," he said.

"Even though realistically the marginal tax rate on a private-hire driver is not high, it is still probably going to make some difference. Once this move comes into place, perhaps some people on the margin will be a private-hire driver instead of a taxi driver... It will swing the pendulum back again."
its still a proposal at this stage and at 40%....not very attractive for people who rent cars for PHV although its still a better-than-nothing.

ch33rix86

Reaction score
Hi Bros if I don’t chase incentives what is the minimum acceptance rate and cancellation rate that I must maintain?

DeltaGolf93

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m planning to start driving part time next week. Now still got any referral thing? Just wanna ask if drive daily 3-4 hours can earn around how much.

TIA

couscous

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ar 30%, CR 15%

BUT if u accidentally accept jobs tag with promo, dun anyhow cancel, suck thumb and complete.

if u cancel jobs tag with the word promo and pax complain, gg.

Hi Bros if I don’t chase incentives what is the minimum acceptance rate and cancellation rate that I must maintain?

couscous

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just use this as a gauage.

$25-$30 per hr before comm fees :o

Hi,

I’m planning to start driving part time next week. Now still got any referral thing? Just wanna ask if drive daily 3-4 hours can earn around how much.

TIA

kl39717

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ar 30%, CR 15%

BUT if u accidentally accept jobs tag with promo, dun anyhow cancel, suck thumb and complete.

if u cancel jobs tag with the word promo and pax complain, gg.

I think first few jobs of the week dun ignore n cancel if not gonna do a lot of trips.

couscous

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes when i first started to do grab,

i panic sia, not enuff ammo for weekend :s13:

on average i only do 35T per week lol.

I think first few jobs of the week dun ignore n cancel if not gonna do a lot of trips.

Stirling69

Reaction score
If you are hard working, grab will give you additional incentives in the form of "SPECIAL BONUS FOR YOUR HARDWORK" for week 25Jun - 1 Jul. 😉😄

if hardworking sure hit 2 weeks 2.2k de lei minus rental parking 20% i can eat grass liao

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

couscous

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
last time i fetch one ang mo

from slumgol to AP

tell me no sgd for $28 fare. pay me euro.

jin sian

Sians just now fetch one angmoh paying by cash (booked by a passerby) boh sgd paid me in usd.

Cash fare is 10sgd paid me 8usd 😐

Last time drive taxi also kena such case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.