Uber & Grabcar driver lip lai - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Insurance claims from road accidents climb by 11.8 per cent despite fewer reported accidents

SINGAPORE - Motor accidents are becoming more severe and involving more injuries, going by first-half results released by the General Insurance Association (GIA) on Tuesday (Sept 25).

The association said there had been a "significantly higher increase" of 11.8 per cent in incurred motor insurance claims, totalling $291.3 million for the interim period, despite a dip of 4.3 per cent in the number of reported motor accidents.

As a result, the motor insurance sector incurred an underwriting loss of $12.6 million for the six months up to June 30, from a profit of $17.2 million in the same period last year.

The association noted that this was the third consecutive quarter in which motor insurance - which accounts for more than a quarter of the general insurance business - had been loss-making.

On the back of that, gross premiums for motor insurance shrank by 2.4 per cent to $600.9 million in the first half of 2018.

There are no details on what contributed to the situation but the GIA said an inference could be made about the figures. It said escalating claims on the back of fewer accidents can mean only one thing: the accidents were on average more severe, possibly involving more injuries.

The Straits Times understands that more claimants engaging lawyers could be a secondary contributing factor, as claims through legal means are usually bigger. An increased number of inflated and fraudulent claims could also be a factor, sources said.

A bigger pool of private-hire cars - a fairly new phenomenon - could be another contributor.

Earlier this year, statistics from motor insurers showed that private-hire cars - which make up 4.9 per cent of the total vehicle population - accounted for 9.4 per cent of 82,800 accidents reported in the second half of 2017.

Passenger cars, which make up 59 per cent of vehicles, accounted for 49.5 per cent of accidents.

Taxis, which make up just 2.4 per cent, accounted for 13 per cent of accidents.

On the whole, the general insurance sector saw a marginal 1.1 per cent increase in total gross premiums to $2.07 billion in the first half of 2018, the GIA said.

Underwriting profit plunged by 94.5 per cent to $3.14 million, "as claims costs increased significantly across key segments such as motor insurance and work injury compensation insurance", it said.

Work injury compensation posted an underwriting loss of $6 million - down from a profit of $1.4 million in the first half of 2017.

GIA president Karl Hamann said: "Our top priorities include working with key stakeholders to reduce the severity and frequency of motor accidents, and leveraging digital technologies... to lower and mitigate claims costs inflation."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...accidents-climb-by-118-per-cent-despite-fewer

georgemcics

Banned
Reaction score
Power of AA

Eat ton of GS

9 trip passenger cancel, countless i cancel :s13:

X4XJmh1.jpg

Posted from PCWX using Don’t avoid, just pick any job, easy, step and go, no need use brain , remember u need Grab,Grab don’t need u

Ambienlim

Reaction score
Hey how come my cancellation credit comes in as “TOP up $4.00”. I don’t have anything that looks like yours.

Power of AA

Eat ton of GS

9 trip passenger cancel, countless i cancel :s13:

X4XJmh1.jpg

Posted from PCWX using Don’t avoid, just pick any job, easy, step and go, no need use brain , remember u need Grab,Grab don’t need u

georgemcics

Banned
Reaction score
How tribecar work ah?

I just book for the time slot i want. They will auto help me update with Grab the car plate right?

Then i just drive accordingly then just return.

I might be using it this sat and sun. For Grab is book economy sedan or standard sedan or both also can?

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If not mistaken tribecar needs to inform grab u using your car. Smove process is like dat for uber.

How tribecar work ah?

I just book for the time slot i want. They will auto help me update with Grab the car plate right?

Then i just drive accordingly then just return.

I might be using it this sat and sun. For Grab is book economy sedan or standard sedan or both also can?

couscous

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually geogre, the other rental coy cannot let u collect car on sat?

so to save e hassle of porting ur acc from tribe then to normal gc acc

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mr Alex Lim, are you here? Remember: You need Grab more than it needs you.

——-
Anti-competition conditions for Grab affect drivers

I am disappointed at how the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) has directed Grab to maintain its pre-merger prices in its latest decision (Grab, Uber fined $13m for violating competition laws; Sept 25).

CCCS obviously did not give a thought to the welfare and livelihood of people like me who are Grab drivers.

Already, the prices before the merger were low, and drivers are now still having problems earning a sustainable income.

Preventing Grab from changing its fares means drivers will continue to suffer.

While I understand that there is a need to address commuters' complaints about spending more on transportation, the solution should not be at the expense of drivers.

I hope the CCCS will not impose more conditions like these on Grab.

Making it difficult for Grab to do business in Singapore will only make drivers like me suffer more in the end.

Alex Lim

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mr Kenny Lim, are you here? Yes, passengers don’t care whether it is a taxi or a private hire car. Passengers only want it cheap.

———
Competition watchdog should add taxis to ride-hailing market definition

As a private-hire driver, I agree with Grab Singapore head Lim Kell Jay that the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) has taken a very narrow definition of the ride-hailing market (Grab, Uber fined $13m for violating competition laws; Sept 25).

It baffles me that CCCS does not consider taxi operators to be competition for Grab in Singapore. Private-hire drivers compete with taxis for customers every single day.

When I chat with passengers, most of them admit to comparing the prices and promotions available between taxis and ride-hailing services before deciding which to take.

Some even submit their requests for service on multiple providers and take the ride from the driver who reaches first.

Ultimately, passengers do not differentiate between a taxi or a private car.

They just want a vehicle to take them where they would like to go.

If we think about it further, why did taxi drivers cry foul over the rise in ride-hailing apps in the past if the two sides are not competitors?

I hope the CCCS will revise its market definition to reflect the real situation.

Kenny Lim

https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/...d-add-taxis-to-ride-hailing-market-definition

georgemcics

Banned
Reaction score
actually geogre, the other rental coy cannot let u collect car on sat?

so to save e hassle of porting ur acc from tribe then to normal gc acc

They told me car only ready by monday :(

georgemcics

Banned
Reaction score
Ayer rajah food centre

Lai recommend what to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.