Unblock TV Discussion Thread II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. I tried but cannot work. If press the reset button on power, no power at all. Only when I release the reset button, off the power supply n on again then have power. But still stuck at the loading page...

the next step is to flash firmware.

if still within warranty peroid, the easier way is to send it to service centre at SLS.

Yinsan

Reaction score
That is supposed to be a pretty good box but maybe a bit pricey with the price of around S$180-200 based on Lazada. How much do they sell? Does the seller mark up the price by adding apps for you? Got local warranty?

If you are willing to pay that price for the Minix brand and continuous support (it is already 2 years+ old but still supported),
it should be okay.

Personally I will go for cheaper boxes like S$50 Tanix TX3 Max or S$90 Mi Box Global version first because they are already good enough to replace UnBlock UBox Pro or Evpad Plus.

Hi. Where to get a good tanix or mi box? Any recommendations? See so many but reviews all mix with not good

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. Where to get a good tanix or mi box? Any recommendations? See so many but reviews all mix with not good

Tanix TX3 Max can be bought from Lazada and Shopee at around S$50. I can not give you recommendations on particular shop since I do not use Lazada/Shopee myself.

Mi Box global version can be bought at around S$90 from local online vendors. Again I will not be able to tell you which shop. You can head to Facebook group “New TV Box SG” for recommendations and tips after getting Mi Box.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

y2suc

Reaction score

I bought a UnBox UPRO just before I chanced upon this thread. It got delivered yesterday but am thinking of returning it now to get one of the cheaper boxes you mentioned. Is Unbox no longer popular?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had bought an UnBox upro just before i chanced upon this thread. but am thinking of returning it now to get one of the cheaper boxes you mentioned. Is Unbox no longer popular?

I believe it is still popular. They seem to survive the M1 block pretty okay.

You can decide by yourself. I will not buy it myself.

Problem I see is two fold other than the higher price vs low HW spec.

1) quality so so — quite some reports of failure after warranty

2) M1 block shows that it becomes too popular to get the attention of the content provider. It could be blocked completely in the future and not a simple DNS workaround can fix it. Without UBTV, then this box is no better than the S$50 generic box.

y2suc

Reaction score
I believe it is still popular. They seem to survive the M1 block pretty okay.

You can decide by yourself. I will not buy it myself.

Problem I see is two fold other than the higher price vs low HW spec.

1) quality so so — quite some reports of failure after warranty

2) M1 block shows that it becomes too popular to get the attention of the content provider. It could be blocked completely in the future and not a simple DNS workaround can fix it. Without UBTV, then this box is no better than the S$50 generic box.

ok thanks for the helpful info! just wondering if Nvidia shield will be able to sideload apks?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe it is still popular. They seem to survive the M1 block .

Today’s update: SingTel and StarHub start to block UBTV as well but the simple dns change method still works.

Anyway I will say do not buy UBox any more based on the court order.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://www.ievpad.com/index.php/Index/Product/evpad3

New model EVpad 3. Hardware wise looks like the CPU changes to the same Allwinner H6 as UBox Pro. But at least it has 2GB RAM and 16GB storage (EVpad Plus: Amlogic S905X CPU, 2GB/16GB) compared to 1GB/16GB of UBox Pro.

Still do not buy it — you are still paying for the apps since the HW is similar to but a bit worse than a Beelink GS1 Box (H6 CPU, 2GB/16GB, Gigabit Ethernet) selling at between S$75-S$100 in Shopee (not so popular so not many shops, Taobao price is RMB375 or S$75). Beelink GT1 (S912, 3GB/32GB, Gigabit Ethernet ) is more popular and sells at about S$90-110 in Lazada/Shopee (Taobao RMB425-465 or S$85-91).

If if it gets more popular the app may get blocked just like UBox since EVpad is listed in the Australia ban.

Last edited:

wizzer

Reaction score
Today’s update: SingTel and StarHub start to block UBTV as well but the simple dns change method still works.

Anyway I will say do not buy UBox any more based on the court order.

can share how to change the dns? My UBTV is less than one month old :-(

Last edited:

doofie

Reaction score
Tanix TX3 Max can be bought from Lazada and Shopee at around S$50. I can not give you recommendations on particular shop since I do not use Lazada/Shopee myself.

Mi Box global version can be bought at around S$90 from local online vendors. Again I will not be able to tell you which shop. You can head to Facebook group “New TV Box SG” for recommendations and tips after getting Mi Box.

is the mi box s any good?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the mi box s any good?

Yes it should be good replacement for UBox and EVpad.

Both older Mi Box and Mi Box S should be good. The only concern for Mi Box S is the compatibility of Android 8.1 with some apps but that should be sorted out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.