Univeristy Of Wollongong (SIM) future/current/students come in!!!

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Definitely. 2.5 years ago UoW was the best option available but now the alternative choices are much more attractive. CS theory is really at the lowest level of importance in jobs that exclusively utilize high-level programming languages - fields like data analysis, but you are at a strict disadvantage at almost every other field because they require knowledge of machine hardware level manipulation(eg: software engineering, game development, network eng). UoW does have theory, but just enough to have a working knowledge of the module. it has its strengths elsewhere, primarily that it gives their students very good applied programming skills and you learn more technologies than in other unis. As an example in ISIT312 we learned hadoop, hive, hbase, pig, spark, mapreduce along with lots of theory in 1 module. Having said that, I would not choose UoW if I was looking for a degree course to enroll in today because the alternatives are better choices than they were in my time.

Frankly, I wouldn't even choose UoW for cybersecurity, I would go to SIT. If you like learning about general CS theory(OS, architecture, compilers...) go to UoL or SIT, you will get almost none of it in UoW except the odd chapter in a module.

SIM does not provide internship opportunities, but they do have big career fairs as well a student job portal which is decent at best.
The lack of internship is really the big killer..

can only

Go to the UOW australia campus

Dont even have overseas attachment elsewhere.. My friend from UoL went to finland for summer exchange...

anderson666

Reaction score
The pt is some students in UoW form cartels to gurantee HD from Luke McAven and Lee Kwok Cheong AND Cham Tao Soon r turning a blind eye to it and the Aussie r finding excuses to fail students for $ bro.

Shadow X

Reaction score
Hello! Is there any existing Big Data senior or graduate senior who took machine learning related FYP? I have some question to ask regarding your experience on it. Please DM thanks! :)

Geminianer

Reaction score
Hii I’m gg to study in UOW computer science ( dss) this year anyone gg ? Haha

alfredo13

Reaction score
Hi! I applied for UOW cyber security for oct intake, just sent in my application, what about you?

Hi, i applied for oct intake UOW cyber security. I just received offer letter yesterday. How about you?

enginefish

Reaction score
Anyone doing UOW IT? Or able to offer some insights as to why you chose UOW CS over IT?

dawntime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any info on timetable for July intake?
any seniors can share coursework or course notes? 😄

jess95

Reaction score
Hi, i applied for oct intake UOW cyber security. I just received offer letter yesterday. How about you?
Hi! I completed my certs submission on 6/1/2021. Haven't receive any offer letter yet, when I login to SIMconnect it shows Application Status as "submitted". When did you submit your application?
I studied Computer Eng in Poly, CGPA 2.443 (graduated in 2017) . You applied with a level results or diploma? 😀

alfredo13

Reaction score
Hi! I completed my certs submission on 6/1/2021. Haven't receive any offer letter yet, when I login to SIMconnect it shows Application Status as "submitted". When did you submit your application?
I studied Computer Eng in Poly, CGPA 2.443 (graduated in 2017) . You applied with a level results or diploma? 😀
Hi, I applied in late April. I have diploma in Cyber Security. It will take about 4-6 weeks to process the application.

binhee24

Reaction score
Does any students know if we have to purchase the textbooks for class or will they be provided?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.