Using BlueTooth receiver/transmitter for subwoofer

galapogos

Reaction score
Enable developer mode. It will then show what your current connection is using.

It is also supposed to be able to change it but that's buggy I guess. On my phone it will say it changes to something that is clearly unsupported e.g. LDAC but when refreshing the menu it will change back to the supported and currently used settings.

Another more direct way is to just measure latency since that's what you need.
Yikes, I just tried that, and it shows that it's only using SBC, with the other options grayed out.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Also I wonder why the dedicated subwoofer wireless transmitter limit frequency range up to 1khz. Does it make the bass frequencies higher in resolution compared to full range or something? Less noise and distortion or less latency?

Last edited:

galapogos

Reaction score
Also I wonder why the dedicated subwoofer wireless transmitter limit frequency range up to 1khz. Does it make the bass frequencies higher in resolution compared to full range or something? Less noise and distortion or less latency?
I have the same question as well. I would have thought it's regardless of whether it's for a sub, or a full-range audio signal. Still having some dilemma on whether to shell out $200 for a sub specific proprietary solution from REL/SVS/etc, or to get a more general purpose BT solution, especially since this is just for a sub where sound quality wouldn't be as noticeable. Even a more "branded" product with a known CSR8675 chipset is less than half the price.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can test if your current phone as a transmitter is affected by interference...

index.php

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What’s your sub operating freq?
SVS ppl fav here starts to roll off at 1khz. Some even earlier at few hundred hz.

why spend the effort to do something when sub is not using the data? Less data to process also improves latency.

cross over freq also set 80hz or 100hz. More work is done there. If u doing wireless for rear speaker I will be concern if it’s not doing full range.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-3000/conclusion
bass is freq range is not above 1khz
https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum#bass

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the same question as well. I would have thought it's regardless of whether it's for a sub, or a full-range audio signal. Still having some dilemma on whether to shell out $200 for a sub specific proprietary solution from REL/SVS/etc, or to get a more general purpose BT solution, especially since this is just for a sub where sound quality wouldn't be as noticeable. Even a more "branded" product with a known CSR8675 chipset is less than half the price.

if u cannot hear or equipment cannot reproduce just go with CSR chipset. CSR is own by Qualcomm

galapogos

Reaction score
What’s your sub operating freq?
SVS ppl fav here starts to roll off at 1khz. Some even earlier at few hundred hz.

why spend the effort to do something when sub is not using the data? Less data to process also improves latency.

cross over freq also set 80hz or 100hz. More work is done there. If u doing wireless for rear speaker I will be concern if it’s not doing full range.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-3000/conclusion
bass is freq range is not above 1khz
https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum#bass
I think the question was whether focusing on up to 1KHz makes a difference, i.e. do it better in terms of higher sampling rate or something, compared to going the full 20-20KHz. I see you mention latency, that's 1 advantage. Is the advantage large? How much latency improvement over, e.g. aptX LL which has 40ms latency, do the proprietary solutions from REL/SVS/Emotiva achieve? Honest question.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the question was whether focusing on up to 1KHz makes a difference, i.e. do it better in terms of higher sampling rate or something, compared to going the full 20-20KHz. I see you mention latency, that's 1 advantage. Is the advantage large? How much latency improvement over, e.g. aptX LL which has 40ms latency, do the proprietary solutions from REL/SVS/Emotiva achieve? Honest question.

i think I answer it too technical for you to follow. In short the answer is NO. Doesn’t matter.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Super confusing haha.

Anyway doubt there are many bluetooth transmitters with rca input. Most seem to have optical and 3.5mm. As dual purpose transmitter/receivers, their rca sockets look like for output to be used only in receiver mode.

I will personally just run a longer subwoofer cable alongside the surround speaker cables.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Understand the working of technology can be intimidating which is why many ppl staying away from STEM.

AVR sub output iirc don’t send higher freq to sub, sub also does filtering on freq higher than 1-2khz at the input staIf you have no need to use these freq why do work on them? If you using SVS you can see nothing beyond 1khz is played.

A simple analogy, why filter your tap water when you want to use water to water your plant?

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that patryn33... So nobody knows what's the difference in benefits between a full range bluetooth transmitter used as makeshift subwoofer wireless transmitter and a dedicated subwoofer wireless transmitter?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No body as in you and ppl who liked your post don’t know? Lol

Make shift supporting Bluetooth only does 16bit res encoding whereas dedicated does 24bit. In short for those no tech ppl, u get better audio quality.

another is low latency with dedicated one. 40msecs vs 150msecs. Can u catch the 100+Msec?

Or the traditional saying goes good things not cheap, cheap things not good.

but if your ear cannot discern then just go for make shift cheapo stuff.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm latency is no issue if using with av receivers room correction system?

I guess can just buy cheap one to try.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Guess this must be a stupid question beneath everyone...
Or I have to say Nobody knows again? Haha

Last edited:

galapogos

Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of being too technical. I love a good tech discussion, because hey, I'm in the tech industry. I think we understand the concept of not getting the stuff we're not using, i.e. not transmitting the high frequencies which a sub doesn't need. However, that argument is one of wastage, not one of performance/quality. What benedium and I are asking is, how does this translate to higher quality?

Latency was a performance benefit that was thrown about, but with aptX LL reaching sub 50ms latencies, are there additional advantages to proprietary protocols that transmit only sub 1KHz signals? How low are the latencies for these protocols?

Also, how about sound quality? What is the extra bandwidth that is freed up from not having to transmit high frequencies being used for? Higher bitrate? Higher sampling rate? More bit depth?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.