ViewQwest Fiber Broadband Official Thread - Part 6

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi. I recently signed up for ViewQwest no contract plan 2 days ago. There was no sms or email confirmation. It is common to be like this? Can any senior advice what is the SOP for ViewQwest new sign ups ? thanks!

Welcome to vq legendary customer service. When it works its good.

When it doesn't, good lux to u

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bookmarked

Sent from A universe Where pink PWNED everything using GAGT

BradenHeat

Master Member
Reaction score
Welcome to vq legendary customer service. When it works its good.

When it doesn't, good lux to u

Lol no leh, mine works all these while until their DNS server owned me :s22: :(

Posted from PCWX using iPhone13,4

epigram

Reaction score
Using it since 2012. Generally ok. No major outages.

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this the worst fibre broadband company?
Ymmv

For me so far no issue, only got 2 downtime due to their dhcp/dns

Solved within 30-45mins

Sent from A universe Where pink PWNED everything using GAGT

TonyStark

Master Member
Reaction score
my netflix say i’m using unblocker or proxy... any fix?

aCuria

Reaction score
any experience with this service provider?

www.viewqwest.com

I have been using Viewqwest for many years, so far the experience has been good I would rate them 9/10. Recently their prices have come down allot, which is a plus point

Pros:
1) Possible to request for static or dynamic ip depending on your requirements this is a huge deal for some, and is even more important now with more work from home. Note that Singtel Starhub and M1 won’t give you a static ip. You have to pay extra to get one from My Republic.

Static ip allows you to connect to your own machines easily from outside. This allows you to:

Run a personal website from your pc
Connect to your pc using Remote Desktop
Run software such as your own SVN server / GIT server
Access your photos videos & music with jellyfin / emby/ plex
Run your personal shared folders (windows shared folder)
Run a personal “Dropbox” like application (Eg owncloud, nextcloud sync)
Sync 2 NAS units in different locations

Without a static ip, you have to reconfigure everything when your modem resets... not fun.

Singtel used to run a transparent proxy which made all of the above impossible and added 12ms+ of latency. Not sure what they run now

2) “No router” plan now available, let’s you buy what you want, like a PF sense box

3) Call Centre is responsive enough, I had nightmares with dealing with Singtel (many years ago tho). You do have to describe your problem fairly precisely, eg poor connection to <ip-address> Tracert is <...>

4) they hire they guys sent to your house directly. Singtel outsources everything

Cons:

1) 2 gbps implementation is abit broken, does not allow 2 gbps to a single machine. while VQ was the first to offer 2gbps, they need to update their implementation to support direct 2gbps. I suspect it’s a limitation of gpon, they actually may have to update their infrastructure to switch from gpon to something else for direct 2gbps and 10Gbps to work.

2) no 10Gbps offered now (used to have)

3) peering with starhub has sometimes been unreliable... had to call them to get it fixed. Not sure if it’s vq or starhub fault tho

4) call centre is not as good as it once was, back then you could talk to an actual engineer. Now you need to escalate some issues to get it fixed (but hey it’s much cheaper now too)

5) no direct fiber capability (not that anyone has this I think) but it would be nice to support fiber -> SFP Adapter -> pfsense / router

Last edited:

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A few extra points on top based on what I read here.

1) Low cost no router plans (500Mbps and 1Gbps) will be under CGNAT with no public IP (no static or public IP), just like MyRepublic. MyRepublic offers S$50 one time charge for static IP. It is not clear if Viewquest offers Static IP add-on for no router plan or not and clear about the pricing. Hopefully the users here can clarify.

As for normal plans with router, then static IP is provided free of charge. This is the premium feature from Viewquest. Other than Viewquest and MyRepublic (S$50 one time charge), only M1 provide static IP add-on with monthly charges. SingTel, Starhub and Whizcmms do not offer static IP for consumer Fibre Internet customers.

2) no more IPv6. Viewquest was supporting IPv6 early but stopped offering IPv6 later.

3) no more dual 1 Gbps based 2Gbps plan. Viewquest used to offer multiple network 2Gbps plan which is in reality dual 1Gbps plan but stopped offering this plan any more.

Starhub 2 Gbps plan, MyRepublic 1+1 and SingTel 1+1 Gamer plan are dual 1Gbps plan.

Advantage of dual 1Gbps plan: You can use router with dual wan load balancing (eg: RT-AX86U) to get to up to 2Gbps download speed with the 2.5 LAN port or wireless.

Viewquest's current 2Gbps plan is similar to SingTel 2Gbps plan, aggregated 2Gbps across 4 ports and no way to bridge the ONR.

4) no more 10Gbs plan. It is a niche anyway so probably not making business sense for Viewquest. Only SuperInternet and SingTel are still offering 10Gbps plan for consumer.

All in all Viewquest was established as a premium ISP and still offers the best performance (fast speed, good international routing, no throttling of BT). But over the years, they have dropped the price to compete and dropped some premium services along the way.

If you want to have dual ISPs for redundancy, Viewquest can well be your primary ISP and then you can add M1 or Starting 500Mbps as the backup. They offer IPv6 which Viewquest does not offer.

Last edited:

jasonho

Reaction score
I re-contracted mine last year and it still includes a static IP.

Most of us won’t even utilize 1Gbps let alone 2. However, I am one of those who consider dual 1gbps for failover (not so much for load balance though), I am leaning toward having 2 (difference ISPs) x 1Gbps environment due to wfh situation.

So for me, 2Gbps is more of a want than a need. :)

bert64

Reaction score
5) no direct fiber capability (not that anyone has this I think) but it would be nice to support fiber -> SFP Adapter -> pfsense / router

Supposedly supernet offer this, although i've not tested it myself.

Sanguoshitaisen

Reaction score
Anybody got problems loading html5 videos ? Using iPhone take forever to load but android ok

genriliz

Reaction score
How do I get port 80 and 443 unblocked by Viewqwest? I sent an email to their residential support email and haven't got any mail back for a day already, is this normal?

Apex

Reaction score
How do I get port 80 and 443 unblocked by Viewqwest? I sent an email to their residential support email and haven't got any mail back for a day already, is this normal?

Try calling them. sometimes email take 2 to 3 days to reply back.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.