Warning: TP Link Powerline adapter

appleo

Reaction score
Just purchased a TP Link powerline adapter set for $99 last night. The theoretical speed on the box stated 500mbps, but it is obviously not going to happen. But to not even get 10% of 500mbps is ridiculous!

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4530-KIT.html

Despite plugging into the wall sockets directly and hooking up with Cat 6 cables, the speed was only a pathetic 29mbps. 29 is not even 10% of the stated 500mbps. Even wifi is faster!:s8:

Will take more screenshots of this garbage product soon.

lobo76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, it also depends on the wiring in your house. May I know if you house is new/old or had re-wiring done recently?

appleo

Reaction score
New house new wiring.

The pairing is rubbish as well. Instructions tell u to press 'pair' button for 1 sec and the power button will blink. It doesn't. Have to press several times before it happens. So if you think u are going to set it up in one or two minutes, u will be shocked at how terrible this junk is.

revogsx

Reaction score
welcome to the world of home plugs.

plug it directly to wall and not extension socket. also, make sure u dont use surge suppress product like thos apc or belkin.

appleo

Reaction score
I mean let's be realistic. No one is asking for the theorectical speed of 500mbps, but to not even get 10% of the stated performance is a joke.

I am on Singtel 1gbps plan. Router is a Linksys EA9500 top of the range router.

TP link should be ashamed of themselves for selling such garbage.

BBClone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never, ever buy power line adapters. That rubbish barely gives a decent connection, and is unstable as hell. Drops all the time. It's just some hobo technology to make users believe they can get wired connection without laying lines.

For $150 (cost of the adapter), you can get any contractor to come your house and lay Cat 6 cables. Gold standard, not that expensive, do once and forget. This is from my own experience with trying different adapters before caving in to what I should have done from the start.

thngzx

Reaction score
Never, ever buy power line adapters. That rubbish barely gives a decent connection, and is unstable as hell. Drops all the time. It's just some hobo technology to make users believe they can get wired connection without laying lines.

For $150 (cost of the adapter), you can get any contractor to come your house and lay Cat 6 cables. Gold standard, not that expensive, do once and forget. This is from my own experience with trying different adapters before caving in to what I should have done from the start.

I second this. Have been on a 1Gbps plan for a while but yet barely making full use of it because I use a TP link wireless adapter / home plug for my desktops.

Feels like a pure waste of the monthly internet bill. Going to do the above for my new BTO flat.

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
u will only get 100mbps max... because the ethernet port on your homeplug is "Fast Ethernet", not gigabit port.

The 500 mbps refers to the communication speed between pairs of homeplugs.
Many people are misled by this.

I use Sineoji, performance v good. Full 1Gbps connection

Last edited:

eventidephoenix

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a TP Link powerline adapter set for $99 last night. The theoretical speed on the box stated 500mbps, but it is obviously not going to happen. But to not even get 10% of 500mbps is ridiculous!

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4530-KIT.html

Despite plugging into the wall sockets directly and hooking up with Cat 6 cables, the speed was only a pathetic 29mbps. 29 is not even 10% of the stated 500mbps. Even wifi is faster!:s8:

Will take more screenshots of this garbage product soon.

This is quite normal. Power lines are not good solutions, do read up more if you are interested.

In general, wire where you can, otherwise just stick to wireless.

P R N D

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought this.

wfojUDGl.jpg

dfZLMnzl.jpg

No Wi-Fi powerline cause I want reduce Wi-Fi radiation in my room.

Sent from Oneplus Galaxy S8_edge_plus using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.