WEB HOSTING COMPANY TO RECOMMEND!

jackoats.sg

Reaction score
I don't agree, I have already been using Google Cloud for quite some time, and the forecast for monthly cost is exactly what I will pay for the month.

Be careful with storage buckets as cost may go up because of security issues.

GCP prices still quite unpredictable as compared to AWS LightSail. The hidden costs itself can be scary.

Last edited:

Elliden

Reaction score
Hi,

Just to update you all, initially I went with Vodien but I felt their website hosting speed is not that great. For Vodien, anything you want to do they charge every single thing and their technical support damn lousy. So I did intensive research and realise that if you wish to host locally. First of all you will need find a web hosting provider that are using LOCAL data center in Singapore. Which I compared those web hosting have local data center (usually when you are purchasing a plan they give you an option to choose the data center where do you want to host your website from).

There is 2 types of web hosting service managed and unmanaged. I am a noob one, so I need managed web hosting service.

So here are from what I compiled:

Hostinger (Using their own Data Center in Singapore)
SiteGround (Using Google Data Center in Singapore)
A2 Hosting (Got their own local data center but cant remember what it is)
Vodien (their own data center)
Fast Comet (using Linode data center in Singapore)
CloudWays - (5 different types of local data centers to choose from DigitalOcean, AWS, Linode, Vultr & Google)

I strongly recommend CloudWays as you can choose your server like who you want to host from as they give you selection of 5 different server provider to choose from.

One thing good about CloudWays is pay per use and there isnt any gimmick to do any upfront pre payment for 1-2 year subscription (which most hosting do). CloudWays doesnt have such payment scheme. They charge you based on pay per use.

For example:
Their cheapest plan is $10 USD per month
So if let say after 5 days you dislike using and want to cancel their plan. They charge you based on 5 days of usage which is about $1.60-$2 USD as they charge by per hour.

Additionally, you can do a 3 days trial WITHOUT putting any credit card or payment information. Simply create an account and test their web hosting immediately (but only 3 days).

They also have CDN which is $1 USD per 25GB bandwidth per month. If you think you need CDN.

Here is a $15 discount code (only works when you upgrade your account)
https://vrlps.co/CSLMPRS/cp1

Last edited:

Alan.Oryon

Reaction score
This thread has been around for more than 8 years. Even the website URL on.sg on the very first page of thread already rename to oryon.net

My company is trying to come with a new web hosting service which is more suitable for corporate websites.

https://www.oryon.net/dedicated-application-hosting/

The main difference is there is only 1 website per server.

1) As much CPU and RAM as you need ( Only 1 account per server)
2) Cpanel Access
3) Free Content Delivery Network (CDN)
4) 14 x Daily Cpanel Backups + 4 x Weekly Server Snapshots
5) Free SSL
6) Premium Wordpress themes and plugins included for free
7) 24/7 Whatsapp and live chat support

Do you think the price is acceptable for the companies?

hardwaregone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I help clients with digital strategies, and have been doing this for a while, here are some thoughts:

Register your domain at namecheap. Keep your domain and hosting separate so that you can switch hostings easily, you will not be bound to any hosting if you don't like them.

One of the cheapest ways to run a website (if it is a static site) is to host it on AWS S3.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/WebsiteHosting.html

Otherwise, for sites like WordPress (where there are server side scripts such as PHP required) you can consider
Amazon Lightsail - you can have access to Virtual Private Servers, which means your site will be fast

However, AWS administration isn't the easiest, and you have to be really comfortable with Command Line Interface because you will need to SSH into your server to perform a lot of tasks. It is possible to install a cPanel graphical interface on AWS, but that needs some setup work
https://hostadvice.com/how-to/how-to-setup-cpanel-on-aws/

If the above sounds like too much work, then you can consider Shared Hostings, and the only hosting i would recommend whole-heartedly is SiteGround (i am not an employee/founder at SiteGround nor am i affiliated, it just happens that I have used them for a few years and i found it to be an absolutely wonderful experience).
If you are going to run a few sites, try their GrowBig plan https://www.siteground.com/wordpress-hosting.htm

Here's what I love about SiteGround
- Excellent Customer Service: I've not had to wait more than 5 minutes to chat with their cust service online
- SiteGround offers an easy 2-click installation for Let's Encrypt SSL certs (you can choose single domain or wildcard, for FREE)
- They have their own site migration tool (anyone who's had to migrate websites knows that it's a major headache)
- There's an SG Optimizer tool that offers caching and image optimization
- Easy activation of CloudFlare CDN (if you really need it)
- Look around online for SiteGround reviews, it's one of the highest rated

My only gripe with SiteGround is that it's not cheap. You can lock in the promotion price for 3 years, but look out for the usual price - that's how much it will renew at.

Also, as with Linux based servers, there is an inode limitation - which is the absolute number of files you can have on your server. I'm nowhere close to storage capacity, but i'm almost halfway at my inode capacity.
https://serverfault.com/questions/185553/what-does-it-mean-if-inode-usage-is-high

Some other hostings that I've tried:
HostGator - Please stay away from HostGator, it is absolutely terrible. I was on their plan a few years ago, they didnt have an option to install SSL for free (you need to raise a request to them to help you out. things may have changed though)

A2 Hosting - The only thing attractive to me is, A2 is pretty cheap. But its speed cannot compare with SiteGround, i actually notice the lag when i edit my sites

BlueHost - BlueHost is generally ok, but it is part of the EIG group, which is notorious!
Check online for EIG (Endurance International Group) reviews
https://www.reddit.com/r/web_design/comments/5suz1i/psa_avoid_all_hosting_providers_that_have_been/

I find that the local hostings (Vodien, etc.) are generally overpriced for what they offer.

Other hostings
Not to confuse you at this point, but there are other hostings you can consider too
WP Engine - https://wpengine.com/
Fast Comet - https://www.fastcomet.com/
InMotion - https://www.inmotionhosting.com/

I tot site ground speed in SG isn't that fantastic.

Wpengine nearest server is in taiwan, speed isn't that great either, even worse I think. But service and reliability is much better than site ground imo.

dexboi

Master Member
Reaction score
I tot site ground speed in SG isn't that fantastic.

Wpengine nearest server is in taiwan, speed isn't that great either, even worse I think. But service and reliability is much better than site ground imo.

I'm currently on SiteGround Cloud plan using Singapore datacenters. I also don't feel the fantastic speed that they have been claiming after using their SiteGround Optimizer + dynamic & mem caching plugin. The same website on Vodien with WP Rocket plugin is able to achieve almost instant loading speed.

I would say their marketing team has done a super job, always advertising bombastic words, but for their price, SiteGround is not worth it at all.

hardwaregone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody can answer this.

If my domain is namecheap and my host is wpengine, server in taiwan.

Is it better that I host my dns records with namecheap or cloudflare?

Will it affect the speed?

hardwaregone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Whatabout if my hoster is vodien or Oryon base in SG.
Visitors mostly from SG.
Should i let Cloudflare or namecheap do the DNS?

Is there any real and useful advantage of using cloudflare dns?

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Whatabout if my hoster is vodien or Oryon base in SG.
Visitors mostly from SG.
Should i let Cloudflare or namecheap do the DNS?

Is there any real and useful advantage of using cloudflare dns?

Cloudflare other than DNS also provides CDN, security firewall and free SSL, it acts as a reverse proxy to your web server filtering bad bots and DDoS traffic before reaching your own server. Namecheap on the other hand provides only plain DNS function.

If you have a new/old site with relatively low traffic count then it doesn't really matter which DNS provider you use but if you want more protection and better performance then Cloudflare is the way to go considering its free.

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody can answer this.

if you are talking about dns resolution speed then Cloudflare will beat Namecheap hands down but if you want to compare Cloudflare among the rest of the DNS providers then DNSMadeEasy/Constellix is one of the top DNS service provider in the market.

Alan.Oryon

Reaction score
if you are talking about dns resolution speed then Cloudflare will beat Namecheap hands down but if you want to compare Cloudflare among the rest of the DNS providers then DNSMadeEasy/Constellix is one of the top DNS service provider in the market.

1) CloudFlare offers one of the fastest DNS service in the world. It is free and faster than some of the paid DNS service.

2) CloudFlare provides CDN only if you go for free version. CDN does not make a big difference if the origin server is in the same location.

3) For CloudFlare to really make a difference you need to go for

Cloudflare’s WordPress Automatic Platform Optimization (APO) which help to optimize Time to First Byte

https://www.cloudflare.com/automatic-platform-optimization/wordpress/

Last edited:

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DNSMadeEasy/Constellix like no CDN , will that slow down my site? :(

I am just saying that in terms of DNS resolution speed, DNSME/Constellix ranks among the top 3 DNS provider, faster than Cloudflare. While you can't use Cloudflare in conjunction with DNSME since both requires you to use their nameservers, you can use DNSME with another CDN cloud provider like KeyCDN, BunnyCDN, Cloudfront etc... to achieve similar performance of Cloudflare. The nice thing to use DNSME other than speed and reliability is you can use vanity nameservers and failover records but its not free.

If you want free then stick to Cloudflare... cheap & good.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody can answer this.

EyEeXAS.png

evoluti0n7

Reaction score
Hi everyone, can you recommend a local webhost for me ?

I need to migrate from my webhost as it is too slow hostpapa.sg
was paying around 30usd per mth for vps hosting

My 2 websites are about 23gb in total

Tried siteground gogeek.. but the customer support is jus leading me in circles telling me that i have problems migrating

I am afraid that the database for xx.sg at your remote host is quite large - about 2 GB. Please note that there is a limit for 1 GB per database on your current shared GoGeek plan. You can only have databases over 1 GB on our Cloud hosting plans.

Most of the size of the database is accumulated by the table wp_statpress:

https://prnt.sc/100rsog

If we are to transfer the website to this server, the database needs to be brought down to under 1 GB. Please consult with your developer.

Alternatively, you can upgrade your plan to a cloud plan.

I am a wordpress novice..

Main concern is speed
followed by ease of use by a wordpress noob
Third is price.. not willing to pay alot more than what i paid usually

I am looking at hostinger too but user reviews are quite poor

Oryon recommend me a $69 plan in which im hesitant on it.. first time hearing was on here

TIA if anyone can assist..

Have less than 14days left on my current webhost after refunding on siteground

Last edited:

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, can you recommend a local webhost for me ?

I need to migrate from my webhost as it is too slow hostpapa.sg
was paying around 30usd per mth for vps hosting

My 2 websites are about 23gb in total

Tried siteground gogeek.. but the customer support is jus leading me in circles telling me that i have problems migrating

I am afraid that the database for xx.sg at your remote host is quite large - about 2 GB. Please note that there is a limit for 1 GB per database on your current shared GoGeek plan. You can only have databases over 1 GB on our Cloud hosting plans.

Most of the size of the database is accumulated by the table wp_statpress:

https://prnt.sc/100rsog

If we are to transfer the website to this server, the database needs to be brought down to under 1 GB. Please consult with your developer.

Alternatively, you can upgrade your plan to a cloud plan.

I am a wordpress novice..

Main concern is speed
followed by ease of use by a wordpress noob
Third is price.. not willing to pay alot more than what i paid usually

I am looking at hostinger too but user reviews are quite poor

Oryon recommend me a $69 plan in which im hesitant on it.. first time hearing was on here

TIA if anyone can assist..

Have less than 14days left on my current webhost after refunding on siteground

Without understanding why your site is slow and what is the reason for the slowness, moving to another plan may not necessarily brings you value.

If your VPS allows you to login to the server via console, and also able to examine the database, you might be able to discover where is the slowness. Is it that the server cpu or memory is insufficient or the database is the bottleneck and what kind of slowness correspond to what kind of operations. It is also necessary to understand what data you are storing in your database which may be optimised to give you better performance.

Do you have a tech fella to help you with examining the performance of your solution?

I saw you mentioned something important regarding the size of your database growing to 2GB. Might interest you, read it up

https://www.saotn.org/optimize-wp-statpress-plugin-database-performance/

On top of that, you might want to housekeep that table of yours. It might have grown too large and you might not need such long history of stats.

Last edited:

evoluti0n7

Reaction score
Appreciate your reply david, i did some layman research and realise that although its hostpapa.sg, they do not have local servers.. hosting was with them since 2015

Thats why i wanna change it..i think i can log in to that.. but i dont understand it

U know where can i find that tech fella , as i am a layman.. beside changing provider for faster speed.. i dont know what else i can do

When i talked to siteground.. they ask me to ask tech fella also.. where to find them T_T

https://carousell.com/p/1042777166

I saw this.. but no reviews on them..

Last edited:

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your reply david, i did some layman research and realise that although its hostpapa.sg, they do not have local servers.. hosting was with them since 2015

Thats why i wanna change it..i think i can log in to that.. but i dont understand it

U know where can i find that tech fella , as i am a layman.. beside changing provider for faster speed.. i dont know what else i can do

When i talked to siteground.. they ask me to ask tech fella also.. where to find them T_T

You either need to find a local Wordpress vendor yourself, or who setup the CMS for you in the first place ?

Was the hosting slow for you in the first place ? A local hosting may helps, but it might not help if the location of the hosting isn't the main issue of the slowness you are perceiving. It seems like a pretty large table you have for just statistics alone at 1.9GB which the rest of your database is only 2GB.

Would you want to disable the stats press plugin and see if your problem gets better ? If it does, then it is the large table that is causing the issue.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.