What is the average GPA in NUS/NTU/SMU/SIT etc. ?

Poggers

Reaction score
Just curious what is the average persons gpa in nus/ntu/smu/sit etc. throughout the 3/4 years
Do most people think
1)Eh above 2.0 can liao no need do so good, as long can graduate and get bachelors can already or if able to do better, try a bit lorh (bell curve anyway)
2)Must get 4.0 and above no matter what
I cant seem to find the average graduating/yearly gpa in each cohort in any uni so thinking if can get some sample size here lol and wanna know what is a "good" gpa to maintain

Last edited:

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
Depends on the individual la.

Some people feel they have studied too hard for the past 16 years so they just wanna party (if that's the case, hall life / FASS is probably for you).

Others really want to get good results (so for them, life is just like JC all over again).

Yet others are experience-focused, so they want to do as many internships as possible, go overseas for exchange, and do many interesting CCAs.

To be honest, a string of relevant internships can easily trump good academic results, but the latter is a more popular target.

Being Singapore, most people put in decent effort at the start, but if after one or two years they feel that their GPA is unlikely to improve much, that's where they divert their attention to other things. Conversely those who are doing well feel pressured to keep on doing well.

Honestly there is no right or wrong la. Uni will be the most liberating time of your life (seriously). You can almost do whatever you want. Study, fall in love, play, travel, CCA, intern, intern overseas, research, take random fun electives, take electives you are curious about, play around in hall, do CIP overseas, prepare for further studies, job search, the possbilities are endless.

And time will fly by so damn fast. Before you know it, you will be in your graduation gown taking photos around the school. So seize the day!

mypillowtalks

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Studied NTU Elect Engr.
Wanted to get no. (2), but my studying style was similar to how i studied in polytechnic.

Unfortunately due to the above, for the 3rd and 4th year, I wasted a lot of time studying trying to get a GPA above 3.

Regretted a bit because starting pay is lower than first class honours, yearly increment low.

But I believe I understand some topics better than my colleagues in the same line

More importantly, wish i went for CCA and make more friends and connection.wish i did more things i like.

I had more fun in poly than uni. Poly i didnt study a lot. I find poly is relatively easier and need lesser effort.
Sent from Your Favourite Non-Biting Talking Pillow using GAGT

Last edited:

rabbit1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Studied NTU Elect Engr.
Wanted to get no. (2), but my studying style was similar to how i studied in polytechnic.

Unfortunately due to the above, for the 3rd and 4th year, I wasted a lot of time studying trying to get a GPA above 3.

Regretted a bit because starting pay is lower than first class honours, yearly increment low.

But I believe I understand some topics better than my colleagues in the same line

More importantly, wish i went for CCA and make more friends and connection.wish i did more things i like.

I had more fun in poly than uni. Poly i didnt study a lot. I find poly is relatively easier and need lesser effort.
Sent from Your Favourite Non-Biting Talking Pillow using GAGT

Whats your CGPA now?

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most people I met in NUS science belong to category 2. The average gpa is ~3.5 and it makes sense to be in category 2, because it's easier to work towards 4.0 than slack off to end up with 2.0. If you take into account those that get into honours, gpa is higher because the bell curve is scaled up towards 4.0, because the minimum gpa to qualify for honours is 3.2, so the bell curve will fail to function if the average gpa for that year is 3.5.

I know this guy with a high 2.0 and he still managed to get a job in chemical engineering, took him a couple of months to get a job, but he still managed to get a job in the same field. Another guy I know, who scored low 3.0, didn't qualify for honours yr in science, managed to get a job in the same field despite not having done honours. Eventually, the first guy changed fields entirely after working for a while and the second guy managed to do masters after 2 years of work experience, which override the honours degree qualification.

It's exactly as FrostWurm said, many who didn't do well enough, just accept life after 2yrs, some of those that didn't do well, might get a place in exchange, come back and do one semester then graduate. Some that don't get exchange, might continue to tryhard, maybe for the semester where their friends go exchange, because it's less competitive with the brighter students going on exchange.

Those who did well, will feel the pressure to continue doing well. I know this guy who regretted doing well despite getting high 4.0, because he graduated without joining any clubs/societies and only participate when he was in his PhD.

o.o123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maintained FCH till year 2 NTU mech eng but i never enjoy campus life at all, im no genius that can study and play:(. thinking year 3-4 just let it drop.

sellbuyboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just checking on GPA for master in local uni...

is 4.33/5 a good GPA? TQ.

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most important is just above 3.0 at least to get honors, especially if you want to do Masters in the future.

Beyond that, GPA doesn’t matter much in the working world. You are assessed on deliverables and work performance and connections.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.