What is the scariest city you have visited?

blkshp

Reaction score
Brazil
- Rio de Janeiro

My business associates and I had a meeting with a Sao Paulo businessman and he told us that even Sao Paulo folks are afraid to go to Rio de Janeiro!!!

Machiam like a War Zone under Martial Law

Everywhere you can see Brazilian Police armed with submachine guns and bullet proof vests ( like the Armed Umbrella Corporation Guards in the Resident Evil movies) because armed bandits with M16s are known to occasionally block off the entire road and just systematically rob every car along the road of everything valuable you possess.

Really lawless place..... moi business associates and I were advised not to flash our smartphones in public, otherwise knife wielding punks ( just about everywhere!!!) will just rob you in broad daylight.

On top of all these.... the local scum are known to target Chinese because they are the richest type of people there.
I agree Rio is a dangerous place but it’s not nearly as dangerous as you describe.
There are certain areas you definitely want to avoid, and you’re smart to be cautious, but you can definitely spend time there as a tourist without issue. It’s not a war zone by any means.
And btw, Chinese tourists are indeed targeted there (and most other countries), but it not because they are richer than others. It is because Chinese are known to carry their vacation funds in cash. On their person at all times. Thus the ideal target to rob.

Mindset1976

Reaction score
I agree Rio is a dangerous place but it’s not nearly as dangerous as you describe.
There are certain areas you definitely want to avoid, and you’re smart to be cautious, but you can definitely spend time there as a tourist without issue. It’s not a war zone by any means.
And btw, Chinese tourists are indeed targeted there (and most other countries), but it not because they are richer than others. It is because Chinese are known to carry their vacation funds in cash. On their person at all times. Thus the ideal target to rob.
Rio was ok for me around 3 years back...i was walking around late at night around Ipanema and Copa Cabana beach no problem...maybe that is more touristy areas? :unsure:
My BnB was in an apartment with strong thick metal gates though, same as those entrances into the banks there...
Only saw and heard alot of noise when it was a local football derby, throngs of people on the street getting into the mood...

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Manchester —- got mugged once

Madrid/Barcelona —- constantly being targeted… not sure is it a racial thing or just want to rob us… but luckily we stayed on crowded streets and avoided any incidents
Is it tio mugged and targetted by the gypsies?

rogerfederer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beijing.....the air pollution there is no joke.
Sri Lanka....dare not drink or eat anything there

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it tio mugged and targetted by the gypsies?
Mugged was in Manchester… not gypsies… 2 teenage blacks with small knives…

Tio aimed was in Spain… some are gypsies some are big groups of teenagers… felt like they just want to overwhelm you with numbers then rob u when they got the chance… it’s like whenever u get off a bus or came out of a train station will have big groups of kids following u wherever u go…

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Mugged was in Manchester… not gypsies… 2 teenage blacks with small knives…

Tio aimed was in Spain… some are gypsies some are big groups of teenagers… felt like they just want to overwhelm you with numbers then rob u when they got the chance… it’s like whenever u get off a bus or came out of a train station will have big groups of kids following u wherever u go…
Gypsy gangs 来的
Mostly those from Romania and the Balkan states :look:

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me is Baltimore. Was in DC for work, but I was Sian of DC, so took a 1 hr Uber to Baltimore. Saw on the news that it's one of the most dangerous cities. But I went anyway.

Walked through the dodgy streets and first time I really fear for my life.

Newtype_com

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Paris is overrated

Tell people I went to Lyon before in France, they give the stupid deer look and asked which part of Paris is that

Worst encounter in Lyon was kanna chased and followed by some hobo. Followed me from across the street and past 2 traffic light, then keep scolding me in french. Until 1 AMDK saw it, scolded him in french then the hobo F off.

Cmonster

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why so many of you think Paris is the scariest city you have visited
unless you only gone to Hong Kong and Singapore in your life

Paris is one of the 10 most visited cities in the world!

It is such a lovely city, and I walked around at night with no issues (night being when shops are open.... if you wander around at 3am , any where is risky)

sure there were scammers, but you leave them alone, they leave you alone
pickpockets exist all around the world, except for Singapore

so not sure which part of Paris you guys going to....

royd3n

Reaction score
Brazil
- Rio de Janeiro

My business associates and I had a meeting with a Sao Paulo businessman and he told us that even Sao Paulo folks are afraid to go to Rio de Janeiro!!!

Machiam like a War Zone under Martial Law

Everywhere you can see Brazilian Police armed with submachine guns and bullet proof vests ( like the Armed Umbrella Corporation Guards in the Resident Evil movies) because armed bandits with M16s are known to occasionally block off the entire road and just systematically rob every car along the road of everything valuable you possess.

Really lawless place..... moi business associates and I were advised not to flash our smartphones in public, otherwise knife wielding punks ( just about everywhere!!!) will just rob you in broad daylight.

On top of all these.... the local scum are known to target Chinese because they are the richest type of people there.

Haa I actually strolled through one of the favela (vidigal) in the late afternoon to a viewpoint up a hill and then came out of it at night. Was scared initially but after a while looking at the residents going through their daily life along the main road, I felt more relaxed. My risk appetite was much higher back then, prob won't do the same thing again.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.