What PC fans do you use and prefer?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this the successor to their Gentle Typhoon?

Still using the GTs and its very quiet with very high airflow. only issue is no rgb lol
I doubt so. The blade design looks familiar, but considering that Scythe' Gentle Typhoon is very well known, I don't think they will want to change the name/ brand if it is the direct successor.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fuma 2 got it limitation due to size, can watch tech Jesus video

I think it is a good cooler even though it is not the best out there. When I first got it, I was quite surprised it beat even the Corsair H100i Pro AIO cooler. The AIO cooling performance is not good from my opinion, but it is quite a feat for an air cooler to cool better it. The size is actually just nice without getting in the way of the components all around it.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thinking to get that cooler and add additional fan for a 5800x, it should suffice right
In my experience, the R7 5800X is quite difficult to keep cool at stock settings. You must definitely adjust the power limit (PPT) to a lower value. The stock value is 142 if I am not mistaken. The reason for lowering it is because that's too much power for the chiplet to stay cool. The Fuma 2 managed to keep my older Ryzen 9 3900X around 85 to 87 degrees under a sustained Cinebench R20 stress test. But I think it will struggle with the Ryzen 7 5800X because when I got the CPU, I also changed the cooler to an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm AIO cooler. First run of Cinebench R20, and the temp is already hitting 90s. I lowered the PPT, TDC and EDC values (can't remember my settings now, but I shared it in the Ryzen 5000 chat previously), and the temps plunged to a max of 78 degrees. I lost about a couple of % in performance that's all. So I think it was a great trade off.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the R7 5800X is quite difficult to keep cool at stock settings. You must definitely adjust the power limit (PPT) to a lower value. The stock value is 142 if I am not mistaken. The reason for lowering it is because that's too much power for the chiplet to stay cool. The Fuma 2 managed to keep my older Ryzen 9 3900X around 85 to 87 degrees under a sustained Cinebench R20 stress test. But I think it will struggle with the Ryzen 7 5800X because when I got the CPU, I also changed the cooler to an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm AIO cooler. First run of Cinebench R20, and the temp is already hitting 90s. I lowered the PPT, TDC and EDC values (can't remember my settings now, but I shared it in the Ryzen 5000 chat previously), and the temps plunged to a max of 78 degrees. I lost about a couple of % in performance that's all. So I think it was a great trade off.

I personally have not tried modifying these settings, would it result in any instability?

Also, the reason why i mentioned 3rd fan is particularly because of this. Hardware Canacks added a SF120M to the Fuma 2 and it did make significant impact, any thoughts?

image.png

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I personally have not tried modifying these settings, would it result in any instability?

Also, the reason why i mentioned 3rd fan is particularly because of this. Hardware Canacks added a SF120M to the Fuma 2 and it did make significant impact, any thoughts?

image.png

For my case, no. Decreasing the values did not affect stability. You prob may run into stability issues if you overdo it. But generally, it will just affect the boost clock speed because with insufficient power, it may not boost as high as the advertised clock speed.

As for changing fan on the Scythe Fuma 2, I feel the stock fan does its job of delivering on good cooling. The stock fans don't spin fast because they optimised the fans for low noise over high airflow. I think there may be room for cooling performance improvement, but at the expense of higher noise.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. but I doubt there is anything better at the same size? This has ram clearance too
Yup, the size is perfect in my opinion. Right after I sold the Fuma 2 off, I replaced it with a BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro, and given the extra size and inconvenience, the improvement in cooling is only around 2 to 3 degrees better. Hardly worth the sizeable price increase. And the Dark Rock 4 Pro is so big, it obstructs everything around it. Heck I can't even press on the catch on the motherboard that releases the GPU because of the CPU cooler.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yup, the size is perfect in my opinion. Right after I sold the Fuma 2 off, I replaced it with a BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro, and given the extra size and inconvenience, the improvement in cooling is only around 2 to 3 degrees better. Hardly worth the sizeable price increase. And the Dark Rock 4 Pro is so big, it obstructs everything around it. Heck I can't even press on the catch on the motherboard that releases the GPU because of the CPU cooler.

dont forget the ease of installation and removal that the fuma 2 has over it as well :s13:

quite surprised that the dark rock pro 4 performed better in your case

fuma 2 with 3 fans seem to beat it..

i am thinking to config my setup in a way that the slim fan is on the left, and 2 normal side fans on middle and right. This is because i think the left side can't install a normal sized fan, it probably will collide with my case fan at the back.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dont forget the ease of installation and removal that the fuma 2 has over it as well :s13:

quite surprised that the dark rock pro 4 performed better in your case

fuma 2 with 3 fans seem to beat it..

i am thinking to config my setup in a way that the slim fan is on the left, and 2 normal side fans on middle and right. This is because i think the left side can't install a normal sized fan, it probably will collide with my case fan at the back.
Actually depending on your case, the rear fan of the casing may act like a third fan for the cooler. In the case of the Dark Rock 4 Pro, it was so big in the Fractal Design Arc Mini Corsair Obsidian 450D that it was actually very close the rear fan.

The Dark Rock 4 Pro is actually a higher end heatsink than the Fuma 2, so I am expecting it to perform better. After all, it is not just more expensive, but also bigger in size. And in my testing, it did, but not worth the addition price, i.e. SGD 79 vs 139.

Edit: I was using a Corsair 450D back then when using the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4. Only started using the FD Arc Mini when I switched to AIO cooler.

Last edited:

Lastwishes

Reaction score
Noctua has mentioned before that a third fan to the d15 adds very little benefit to the cooling performance, but noticeable increase to the noise. Imagine it's similar for the Fuma 2.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this the successor to their Gentle Typhoon?

Still using the GTs and its very quiet with very high airflow. only issue is no rgb lol
Nope. GTs are just a marketing name for Nidec's D1225C series of fans. Pretty sure the Wonder Snail isn't made by Nidec anyways.

Scythe and Adata can only customise the fan to what Nidec is able to offer. Like how Phanteks "collaborated" with Sunon.

If you want a "GT successor", there's the Noctua A12x25. It's essentially the same design but quieter fan motor with signature vomit colours.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Noctua has mentioned before that a third fan to the d15 adds very little benefit to the cooling performance, but noticeable increase to the noise. Imagine it's similar for the Fuma 2.

i think like watzupz_ken mention it depends on the chassis, for hardware canacks it dropped temps from 61c to 57c, as shown in my prev post.

This will be interesting.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope. GTs are just a marketing name for Nidec's D1225C series of fans. Pretty sure the Wonder Snail isn't made by Nidec anyways.

Scythe and Adata can only customise the fan to what Nidec is able to offer. Like how Phanteks "collaborated" with Sunon.

If you want a "GT successor", there's the Noctua A12x25. It's essentially the same design but quieter fan motor with signature vomit colours.
Lol to "Signature vomit colours". Anyway, I feel if one don't have an issue with clearance, the Phanteks T30 is actually the better buy given that they cost about the same. So you get stronger airflow, and no vomit colours. Noise wise, I can't comment because I don't own a Noctua NF-A12x25 to compare.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

maybe I should buy new case

For maximum impact, I think a new airflow case will help. But assuming if you remove the front panel of your existing case, I think it will help a lot as well. The casing reviewed here is basically like running with no front panel since there is not even mesh to keep dust out if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, I am considering to try this case, Phanteks P200A. The NR200 I am using is nice, but given that there is only 1 spot for radiator, there is very limited cooling upgrade. The NR200 Max would have addressed this problem, but I think it will be quite costly because of the bundled AIO cooler and PSU.

Last edited:

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
For maximum impact, I think a new airflow case will help. But assuming if you remove the front panel of your existing case, I think it will help a lot as well. The casing reviewed here is basically like running with no front panel since there is not even mesh to keep dust out if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, I am considering to try this case, Phanteks P200A. The NR200 I am using is nice, but given that there is only 1 spot for radiator, there is very limited cooling upgrade. The NR200 Max would have addressed this problem, but I think it will be quite costly because of the bundled AIO cooler and PSU.

Yeah.. the casing front panel actually has dust filter to keep dust out.

If they release an mATX version ill definitely buy it.

c0ke123

Reaction score
Yeah.. the casing front panel actually has dust filter to keep dust out.

If they release an mATX version ill definitely buy it.
same if they release a "compact" version of it similar to mesify 2 compact. its a buy for me

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jialut. Just realised the fans from ekwb comes with m3 10mm screws. Omg. And my hwl rads is using m4 screws.

Heng our SLT store got sell m4 12mm screws. Phew~

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
same if they release a "compact" version of it similar to mesify 2 compact. its a buy for me

How about this compare to mesify 2 compact?

Phanteks Eclipse P300A (Amazon SG price S$72.40)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.