What PC fans do you use and prefer?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. the casing front panel actually has dust filter to keep dust out.

If they release an mATX version ill definitely buy it.
I feel you should look out for compact ATX case instead. I generally either go for ATX as it gives me the most options when it comes to motherboard, or be specific and go with ITX. I like MATX boards, but most of them are mid rangers and locally, distributors also tend to charge a lot for good MATX boards. My recent MSI B550M Mortar Wifi was purchased from a store that imports from China, but provides 2 years warranty. Locally, Corbell is charging 300+ for it which is quite absurd for a mid range board.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How about this compare to mesify 2 compact?

Phanteks Eclipse P300A (Amazon SG price S$72.40)
Never tried either of the cases. I was planning on trying out the Meshify 2 Compact, but availability is a problem, followed by the price.

In my opinion, most mesh type case should provide good airflow, so the difference in temp should not differ too much. The difference only boils down to, (1) build of the case, and (2) quality of fans bundled. The P200A arrived today, and I would say that build is good.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Never tried either of the cases. I was planning on trying out the Meshify 2 Compact, but availability is a problem, followed by the price.

In my opinion, most mesh type case should provide good airflow, so the difference in temp should not differ too much. The difference only boils down to, (1) build of the case, and (2) quality of fans bundled. The P200A arrived today, and I would say that build is good.
Can't wait to see your review on the p200a new case :D

Nowadays my first consideration will be non TG next is mesh front case.

I got a define compact 7 full black out for my i5 spare pc, still thinking if I should try swap my current evolve atx for testing purposes.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see your review on the p200a new case :D

Nowadays my first consideration will be non TG next is mesh front case.

I got a define compact 7 full black out for my i5 spare pc, still thinking if I should try swap my current evolve atx for testing purposes.
I think TG sides are fine, though I am not a fan of it because I tend to open up my system to fiddle with the parts. So glass being glass is not as sturdy as a proper metal cover. Neither do I apply any RGB lighting in my system, so there is nothing to display. Machine & More's deshroud video did show that the TG glass of the NR200 actually help funnel air upwards, which improved the GPU temps quite a fair bit. I am waiting to see if that is the case for my deshroud mod. For my NR200,

Anyway, don't hold your breathe for my review of the case man. Nowadays, I don't have a lot of time to play around with my PC. So even things like swapping out fans can take days or even weeks. :p But I have to say, I am quite excited to try it out. I've just measured the bottom fan distance to the second PCI slot, and I think it is possible that the 30mm thickness of the T30 may just fit in nicely with no gaps. It may even be fatter by a couple of mm.

I opted for this case because I think the ability to use a ATX PSU and to install 2x radiator are going to be useful in the longer run. The NR200 is quite limited particularly when it comes to installation of radiator. My poor Arctic Liquid Freezer AIO's hoses are getting bent out of shape in the case as well because of the extremely tight fit.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I think TG sides are fine, though I am not a fan of it because I tend to open up my system to fiddle with the parts. So glass being glass is not as sturdy as a proper metal cover. Neither do I apply any RGB lighting in my system, so there is nothing to display. Machine & More's deshroud video did show that the TG glass of the NR200 actually help funnel air upwards, which improved the GPU temps quite a fair bit. I am waiting to see if that is the case for my deshroud mod. For my NR200,

Anyway, don't hold your breathe for my review of the case man. Nowadays, I don't have a lot of time to play around with my PC. So even things like swapping out fans can take days or even weeks. :p But I have to say, I am quite excited to try it out. I've just measured the bottom fan distance to the second PCI slot, and I think it is possible that the 30mm thickness of the T30 may just fit in nicely with no gaps. It may even be fatter by a couple of mm.

I opted for this case because I think the ability to use a ATX PSU and to install 2x radiator are going to be useful in the longer run. The NR200 is quite limited particularly when it comes to installation of radiator. My poor Arctic Liquid Freezer AIO's hoses are getting bent out of shape in the case as well because of the extremely tight fit.
Wow that sound very encouraging consider the new case could be your next best PC setup resolve all the imperfection of previous build :LOL:

I do understand family come first no worry (y)

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just bought a sound meter from challenger S$14.90 (membership price) to measure against my fan setup, it seems to be consistent with my pixel 4 measurement @ 56dBA as previouly reported in #225 and there was no different in sound lever if i covered with front panel as picture show below:

T30 setup sound meter measurement.jpg

However the temperature will increase approx. 4c average for CPU and GPU if front panel is closed.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought a sound meter from challenger S$14.90 (membership price) to measure against my fan setup, it seems to be consistent with my pixel 4 measurement @ 56dBA as previouly reported in #225 and there was no different in sound lever if i covered with front panel as picture show below:

View attachment 29491

However the temperature will increase approx. 4c average for CPU and GPU if front panel is closed.
I don't recommend putting the sound meter on the casing itself. When the fans speed up, there may be vibrations that will impact the reading. Makes more sense to put the sound meter close to where you normally sit or on the desk.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend putting the sound meter on the casing itself. When the fans speed up, there may be vibrations that will impact the reading. Makes more sense to put the sound meter close to where you normally sit or on the desk.

thats exactly what i thought

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

same thoughts, I rather get plastic case. Why no manufacturers use it anymore??

plastic is good, when you open your case you can throw the panel one side.. no need to shiver

Last edited:

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for guidance, as first time using actual sound meter didn't have good idea how to properly use it 😅

Below is the measurement again for reference if this is more reasonable?

I also using the laser distance meter bought this morning to get the seat distance from PC, environment no fan & no AC.

1. Measuring at pc level - front cover closed (seat distance 0.682 meter @ 52dBA)

PXL_20210922_142041192.jpg

2. Measuring at pc level - front cover open (seat distance 0.682 meter @ 53.9dBA)

PXL_20210922_142122546.jpg

3. Measuring from keyboard level - front cover closed @ 46.6dBA

PXL_20210922_142512970.jpg

4. Measuring from keyboard level - front cover open @ 47.2dBA

PXL_20210922_142548910.jpg

Measuring at chair and head level with stand fan and AC on @ 54.5dBA +- 2dBA for margin of error. (front cover open)

PXL_20210922_154652177.jpg

Last edited:

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for guidance, as first time using actual sound meter didn't have good idea how to properly use it 😅

Below is the measurement again for reference if this is more reasonable?

I also using the laser distance meter bought this morning to get the seat distance from PC, environment no fan & no AC.

1. Measuring at pc level - front cover closed (seat distance 0.682 meter @ 52dBA)

View attachment 29493

2. Measuring at pc level - front cover open (seat distance 0.682 meter @ 53.9dBA)

View attachment 29494

3. Measuring from keyboard level - front cover closed @ 46.6dBA

View attachment 29495

4. Measuring from keyboard level - front cover open @ 47.2dBA

View attachment 29496

Measuring at chair and head level with stand fan and AC on @ 54.5dBA +- 2dBA for margin of error. (front cover open)

View attachment 29498
Wah I would love to try this when my wife yells. Just to get an idea. 🤣

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

plastic is good, when you open your case you can throw the panel one side.. no need to shiver
Yeah, I would prefer plastic ones as well. One downside of plastic is that it gets scratched fairly easily. But since I don't really bother about how the PC looks, so neither do I care about the scratches. :LOL:

Glass is quite heavy. The 2 side panels (1 tempered glass and 1 full steel) of the P200A is almost as heavy as the frame of the chassis with the 2 RGB fans on.

Lastwishes

Reaction score
@Yongkit

I think your AC will be louder than the system. If want to measure the decibel difference in the fans, you more or less have to have a very quiet environment, where the noise measured only comes from the fan.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
@Yongkit

I think your AC will be louder than the system. If want to measure the decibel difference in the fans, you more or less have to have a very quiet environment, where the noise measured only comes from the fan.

Many thanks 😊

I will try again later close all door, no fan no AC and try again 🙏

Because right now I have 4 front intake fans (2 x T30 120mm) + (2 x 140mm original case fan) running at full speed on this setup maybe the sounds also increased significantly and I am expecting it will be about 42dBA +- 5dBA...will definitely try again for sure.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many thanks 😊

I will try again later close all door, no fan no AC and try again 🙏

Because right now I have 4 front intake fans (2 x T30 120mm) + (2 x 140mm original case fan) running at full speed on this setup maybe the sounds also increased significantly and I am expecting it will be about 42dBA +- 5dBA...will definitely try again for sure.
Are the T30s set on performance of advance mode? I feel the sound readings is quite high in the 50s decibel. Recall the last time I did the Sound Meter app reading? Just for fun I placed the phone just beside the fans running at full speed. Both the Vento Pro and T30s exceed 50 decibels only when the phone is just a few cm beside them. So I suspect something is adding to the noise, or I think you may have too many fans in the front. Instead of the existing config, it should be more than enough if you use just the T30s. Ideally one should be directed towards your CPU and other towards your GPU. No need to cover the full front with fans. ;)

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Are the T30s set on performance of advance mode? I feel the sound readings is quite high in the 50s decibel. Recall the last time I did the Sound Meter app reading? Just for fun I placed the phone just beside the fans running at full speed. Both the Vento Pro and T30s exceed 50 decibels only when the phone is just a few cm beside them. So I suspect something is adding to the noise, or I think you may have too many fans in the front. Instead of the existing config, it should be more than enough if you use just the T30s. Ideally one should be directed towards your CPU and other towards your GPU. No need to cover the full front with fans. ;)
Ya it is currently at performance mode for both T30 running at 1.9k RPM.

Top fan of T30 running at 1.9k RPM being cover by another 140mm case fan at 1.6k RPM 😅

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Lol actually i would prefer metal/glass instead of plastic case or acrylic side panels.

I feel that a pc that is able to blend in well with my furniture goes a long way. Glass and metal and the way they design pc case these days feels more modern.

Dont get me wrong, plastic is also good, but the finishing of some plastic case just dont feel right/good. For instance, if i can find a good polycarbonate/PBT casing, with good paint job, i certainly think it will be a good looking case. But sadly it isnt the case (pun intended).

Apart from that, glass panels has its own benefits as well, sound intrusion from the fans inside isnt sound as bad as plastic/acrylic cases/side panels. Also for plastic cases, the screw mounts for the side panel or acrylic over time gets loosen, and there goes the rattling sounds. And as fans are getting faster these days to cool our components down, i feel the TG does a better job in isolating the noise.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I tested again based on the condition of

1. close all door, no fan no AC
2. 30cm away from PC case
3. 2x T30 120mm (Top & Middle) set @ 2000 RPM daisy chain
4. 2x 140mm case fans (Top & Bottom) @ 1671 RPM (average)

Results (normal browsing and video non gaming):

1. Envinronmental noice: 39dBA ~ 41dBA
2. PC operation noice: 53dBA ~ 56dBA
3. CPU Startup (Minimum) = 38c ~ 41c
4. CPU Idle (Current) = 45c ~ 47c
5. CPU Max (Maximum) = 64c ~ 68c
6. GPU = 42c

It is so hard to let go the current temp reading :LOL: , but for the health of my lovely ears, as Ken suggested, I should remove the 140mm case fan at least try to remove and see how it fair in overall cooling. really interesting to have so many variable for only case fan testing.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
20210923-213651.jpg

Holy shyt. Im blown by this radiator. I can afford to run passively for light cpu load!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.