where to get China Sim Card in SG?

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably should hv gotten one at changi airport. I was in hangzhou recently.....alot of website couldnt work as they seemed to tag on google. Some crash. Better to get one to hv less frustration once reach china.

Sent from Asus ME173X using GAGT

tianxin

Reaction score
Hihi, I am looking for a simcard with china number and one that I can still continue to receive sms in Singapore. Is there such a card? Thanks in advance!

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all,

going to shanghai tmr for 1 week for business trip. am looking to get a china local sim for data usage, then cloudvpn (im using samsung s6) to bypass their great firewall. not sure if it works though, anyone can confirm?

any recommendations as to what sim card should i get as well? i would be able to claim from company too. seems like i read here, everyone recommends getting from sg. dont think i require any calls; mainly just data i guess. but changi recommends is out of stock. also, laptop wise, what vpn should i use?

thank you all, first ever business trip too haha! would appreciate other misc. tips too!

Lippyt

Reaction score
hi all,

going to shanghai tmr for 1 week for business trip. am looking to get a china local sim for data usage, then cloudvpn (im using samsung s6) to bypass their great firewall. not sure if it works though, anyone can confirm?

any recommendations as to what sim card should i get as well? i would be able to claim from company too. seems like i read here, everyone recommends getting from sg. dont think i require any calls; mainly just data i guess. but changi recommends is out of stock. also, laptop wise, what vpn should i use?

thank you all, first ever business trip too haha! would appreciate other misc. tips too!

If you are using Singtel, there's a readyroam promo for $20
http://info.singtel.com/personal/sites/personal/files/160627 ReadyRoam FAQ.pdf

You won't need a VPN for this :s12:

RoyceSmith

Reaction score
Hi, i heard from my friend. He said that iphone user no need to use vpn. It can use facebook google instagram etc. Just buy china sim card and sign internet data. Its true? Thanks

Lippyt

Reaction score
Hi, i heard from my friend. He said that iphone user no need to use vpn. It can use facebook google instagram etc. Just buy china sim card and sign internet data. Its true? Thanks

Sadly, your friend is mistaken, the GFW doesn't discriminate between phone types. The only China Sims that allow you to use google and FB are Hong Kong sims with mainland access. Aside from that, if you use a roaming plan on a SG sim card, all your data requests will be tunnelled through your SG network operator, so you won't need a VPN.

mamboeidos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
changi have these counter that sell china sim card but can surf face book etc...cos is shenzen/hk sim card. can go to their changi recommends website to see. but problem is that top up online online can do...dun think anywhere else can, unless u have the wat wechat top up

gimcrack

Reaction score
changi recommends doesnt seems to be selling china sim card. anyone know where i can get one prior to departing singapore? need to get one pretty urgently. thanks!

innumerabilis

Reaction score
Hihi, I am looking for a simcard with china number and one that I can still continue to receive sms in Singapore. Is there such a card? Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can get a mychinaunicom/lvycom card.

I bought one on qoo10, and it was activated in Singapore. You have to send them an email with a copy of your passport though.

Edit: Realised the query is from 1 year ago. D'oh.

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haiz. Those on post-paid plan, pls look for auto-roaming plan from your telco and subscribe to it before flying to China. The price you pay is about the same or less. Convenient, efficient, can surf facebook, Instagram, google, google map, twitter, youtube, etc. No need take out put back sim card. No need VPN. No need set this set that.

For those on pre-paid, there are also similar auto-roam packages from your local telco. Do check them out. Buying pre-paid sim card on overseas short trip is so yesterday already.

lolzzzzz

Reaction score
Hi. I'll be going to Sichuan province for three weeks and I'm planning to buy ExpressVPN too. Should I opt for a local CHINA SIM card or data roam from Starhub's data roaming plans? http://www.starhub.com/personal/mob...g/postpaid-roaming/data-plans/datatravel.html

I read that China Mobile has a 10-days 1.5GB plan that costs SGD 15-20+ whereas this data roaming by Starhub seems more worth it.

Can someone advise me? Price and data are my concern. Thanks.

didymus

Reaction score
M1 seems to have only Hong Kong for the data pack... any idea that can be used in ShenZhen? Changi recommends selling HK data pck too, not sure can be used in SZ too? Anyone can confirm? If not any ideas? :D

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys.. im leaving for china next week (heading to beijing and xi'an), any recommendation what kind of data plan should i get? im using m1 btw. thanks!

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just came back from CAN, sim card counter at the airport only sells one type of sim card (4g china unicom) at RMB180. Not sure how much data there was but they deducted RMB25 (RMB19 for the "monthly rental" + RMB6 for caller ID), leaving RMB15.46. I made one domestic short call and there is still RMB15.21 remaining. Coverage was good compared to my SO, roaming on China Mobile via Singtel.

I find that quite ex compared to other countries, maybe because the validity is longer.

Arcanell

Reaction score
get China SIM if you wish to book Didi (taxi) or make local calls. otherwise, basic whatsapp and internet surfing, local data roaming plans are sufficient.

twinklingstars

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just came back from CAN, sim card counter at the airport only sells one type of sim card (4g china unicom) at RMB180. Not sure how much data there was but they deducted RMB25 (RMB19 for the "monthly rental" + RMB6 for caller ID), leaving RMB15.46. I made one domestic short call and there is still RMB15.21 remaining. Coverage was good compared to my SO, roaming on China Mobile via Singtel.

I find that quite ex compared to other countries, maybe because the validity is longer.

get China SIM if you wish to book Didi (taxi) or make local calls. otherwise, basic whatsapp and internet surfing, local data roaming plans are sufficient.

how do i buy a china sim card? do they sell to foreigners?

i'm on m1, so i should be looking at m1's data passport?

absolut777

Reaction score
Just got a China Unicom local sim. The translation seem to be that if I use that sim to data roam while in Australia is capped at 25Yuan per day.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my mum will be going to China for a week next week and I plan to help her install an VPN app for her phone.

Any VPN apps that is recommended to use? I installed Tunnelbear but looking through some reviews of it, seems that it may or may not work in China well depending on location.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.