Where to tailor clothes, continued...

elvintay07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all,

any tailor in the west or recommendations?

personally owning both made to measure seah im vivo tailor and lai en.

looking for the same as above.
Seah im Vivo tailor probably moved to the east. Seah im have a few more tailors. Not sure good or not. Anyone use them?

StrawberryChris

Reaction score
Hello guise, anyone tried LG stylers on your wool trousers? Not very sure if it'll shrink it. Tried it on my linen pants in Korea and it seems to work very well at pressing the pleats.

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
My personal view, you don’t have to agree,

I find the factory or workshop shirt making in Southeast Asia not that good, slightly better in Bangkok. Maybe those Italian luxury brands like Zegna, Canali, did not outsource to Southeast Asia factories, so they didn’t learn from the best. The Chinese factories got orders from Italian, French and US luxury brands for a long time and the shirt making standards are much higher.

if you have the time to visit a proper tailor in major Chinese cities, take a look at the workmanship of the shirts.

I am still thinking whether should I reveal the details of the workshops in my next guide on Chinese tailoring.

some local tailors have supply chain from China, e.g made suits, Qmenswear, red dot bespoke, you can see some suits and shirts with Chinese characteristics

Firesage

Reaction score
Looking for some advice please:

1. What would be a recommended high-end tailor for shirt + pants? I have always thought of trying something 'top of the end' just once, and have an upcoming event in a couple of months which i think is suitable to finally try it out.
2. For off the rack shirt and pants, is marks and spencer considered to be the recommended/preferred right now? I have always been getting g2000, but these few years i feel that it has become a little too pricey for the quality.

Many thanks!

Moratia

Reaction score
Looking for some advice please:

1. What would be a recommended high-end tailor for shirt + pants? I have always thought of trying something 'top of the end' just once, and have an upcoming event in a couple of months which i think is suitable to finally try it out.
2. For off the rack shirt and pants, is marks and spencer considered to be the recommended/preferred right now? I have always been getting g2000, but these few years i feel that it has become a little too pricey for the quality.

Many thanks!
Go to Dylan for 1) lor.

Millimeter

Reaction score
I have a suit made at Sze Sze about 7 ~ 8 years ago. Unfortunately I've outgrown it (horizontally). Do you guys know whether it's possible to alter it so that it can fit the fatter me?

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a suit made at Sze Sze about 7 ~ 8 years ago. Unfortunately I've outgrown it (horizontally). Do you guys know whether it's possible to alter it so that it can fit the fatter me?

It should be possible, but of course there are limits (I had to do this for my suits after COVID :')).

Going back to the shop to ask would be your best bet

thingonbanch

Reaction score
Thanks. Are there any others i should consider as well or is this 'the one'?
Dylan is quite famous for his pants, even appearing on a certain menswear blog overseas. Especially with his bespoke offerings, the attention to detail and ability to account for clients' postures is really incredible (from what I have seen online). If money is no object, he would be my number 1 choice as well.

Can also look up the instagram page kayjenjournal, who used to work with Dylan when they used to run KayJen Dylan

Not sure how these two tailors compare, but have also heard good things about The cutting room 1982 (@tcr1982 on instagram) and in personam (@inpersonam.cc on instagram).

Would love to know who you end up deciding to visit!

Firesage

Reaction score
Dylan is quite famous for his pants, even appearing on a certain menswear blog overseas. Especially with his bespoke offerings, the attention to detail and ability to account for clients' postures is really incredible (from what I have seen online). If money is no object, he would be my number 1 choice as well.

Can also look up the instagram page kayjenjournal, who used to work with Dylan when they used to run KayJen Dylan

Not sure how these two tailors compare, but have also heard good things about The cutting room 1982 (@tcr1982 on instagram) and in personam (@inpersonam.cc on instagram).

Would love to know who you end up deciding to visit!
Thank you, this is really helpful. I'll check them out to see how they measure up against each other.

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
Alexander from The cutting Room is fitter, cutter and maker
Dylan, kayjen, are both fitters and cutters too
Not sure about inpersonam

the other fitters and cutters are Son of a Gan, the Prestigious, meiko, Ron and rich and HST.
By sheer passion or obstination , if you have the budget is TCR. Because technically that’s real bespoke.

Allen Tan 45

Reaction score
I think it's important to remember that tailoring is a long term relationship. If you're just looking to try 'one time', you'd have to manage your expectations accordingly.

Of course, by going to a high-end tailor, your overall experience and the end product you get should be better than what you will typically get from a budget-friendly one. However, if you are unable to build a good relationship and understanding with him, chances are that you'll come out feeling that the premium you paid is not really delivering a proportionate increase in value.

Moratia

Reaction score
Wah,
Alexander from The cutting Room is fitter, cutter and maker
Dylan, kayjen, are both fitters and cutters too
Not sure about inpersonam

the other fitters and cutters are Son of a Gan, the Prestigious, meiko, Ron and rich and HST.
By sheer passion or obstination , if you have the budget is TCR. Because technically that’s real bespoke.
for cutting room, fr $229 for Trousers isn't THAAAAAT expensive also

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.