Which AVR is the best?

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yah seems the market really just doesn't want people to be able to play Spotify for cheap. Most solutions cost $500 and above. Like that might as well upgrade to AVR with Spotify.

Does your avr have usb input? Wonder if can connect raspberry pi 4?

Last edited:

romeo88

Reaction score
Yah seems the market really just doesn't want people to be able to play Spotify for cheap. Most solutions cost $500 and above. Like that might as well upgrade to AVR with Spotify.

Does your avr have usb input? Wonder if can connect raspberry pi 4?

For Spotify, best is to use AVR capable of Spotify Connect. All my AVRs (Denon 2300, 1400, Onkyo NR686) are capable. For those not familiar with Spotify Connect, it allows a device (say your phone) to be a remote control device and the streaming is done by the AVR directly to Spotify servers. Pure digital direct inputs for best sound quality as well.

frenzzsg

Reaction score
My AVR 390 got fried due to a power short-circuited....(sighs, dont ask me why cuz i really dont understand as my house power was not tripped)

Long story short, bought the avr abt 4yrs+ ago, very heartache cuz really enjoyed and love quality of it, pairing with my 5.1 monitor audio silver speakers system.

Need some opinions/advise from all gurus here....
Should i still try to repair the avr390 and use it for a couple more years, or bite the bullet, and get a new avr for future upgrade from my current 5.1?

mulderfox

Reaction score
Not a guru of any sort, but for home Cinema purposes, it's better to upgrade. Prices aren't cheap right now, so just see what you really need in terms of speaker setup and future upgrading and also listen to a few options before you pick. As in, if you don't need high wattage, go for a lower model. But always get the newest you can get so it'll keep longer in terms of compatibility. That's my two cents.

frenzzsg

Reaction score
Any upgrade suggestion? Lolollll

Primary usage :
1. Movies streaming ( Netflix, Disney+, StarHub)
2. YouTube (Same usage as pt. 1) for videos & music videos
3. Music streaming sportify premium.
4. Blu-Ray Movie/ Concert
4. Gaming - Nintendo Switch

Current System :
1. Monitor Audio Silver 5.1 speakers
2. Samsung 8K QLED TV

Replacement Needed (both fried by power short circuit…sighs)
1. AVR
2. Blu-Ray Player

I gotten my current system from av one, so when I enquire abt avr replacement, they recommended avr20 straight. Did some research on my own on Denon & Yamaha and they seem to be a worthy replacement at a lower cost.

Not exactly a very technical person and also lazy to research too much…any recommendation from the gurus/avr owners here based on my current system & usage? (Also ready for upgrade)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Primary usage :

Current System :
2. Samsung 8K QLED TV

1. AVR
2. Blu-Ray Player

I gotten my current system from av one, so when I enquire abt avr replacement, they recommended avr20 straight. Did some research on my own on Denon & Yamaha and they seem to be a worthy replacement at a lower cost.

Not exactly a very technical person and also lazy to research too much…any recommendation from the gurus/avr owners here based on my current system & usage? (Also ready for upgrade)
What are you going to do with your 8K TV?

:D

frenzzsg

Reaction score
What are you going to do with your 8K TV?

:D
Haha, dont like that lah.
The TV was recently replaced (this year). Previously was on LG OLED 4K, which had some issues after 4yrs and i was on extended warranty by HN. So managed to get a 1-to-1 credit. Was seduced badly by the youtube 8K video so bite the bullet and got that. Getting ready for the future 8k movies/videos from the streaming apps lor....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, dont like that lah.
The TV was recently replaced (this year). Previously was on LG OLED 4K, which had some issues after 4yrs and i was on extended warranty by HN. So managed to get a 1-to-1 credit. Was seduced badly by the youtube 8K video so bite the bullet and got that. Getting ready for the future 8k movies/videos from the streaming apps lor....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have the SAMSUNG NEO QLED 8K QN900A 65-inch tv

To tell you the truth, 8K movies whether streaming or physical discs is still light years away

The only thing you can do with the 8K tv NOW for 8K is to create your own content with

1) Cameras like SONY/CANON/NIKON which support 8K
2) Handphones which support 8K like SAMSUNG/XIAOMI/OnePlus etc

and

3) Watch 8K YouTube clips
4) The Explorers nature channel offering 8K content
5) Watch 8K videos
https://www.8k-stockfootage.com/videocat/demo/6) Can download 8K demo videos from here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TSdV36G_npDtjRJze54GEYpdxpBt7nCK7) Play 8K games on high-end PC with NVIDIA RTX3090 or Radeon RX 6900 XT graphics cards
8) XBX and PS 5 support 8K gaming but not enabled yet

Read about The Explorers below

https://www.engadget.com/roku-8k-channel-tcl-nature-191553851.htmlhttps://theexplorers.com/svod

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Primary usage :

Current System :
2. Samsung 8K QLED TV

1. AVR
2. Blu-Ray Player

budget on upgrade?

AVR20, you need to spend a lot on other stuff. AVR5 is the cheapest in the series. I think it costing ~$4k. I have the AVR10

Yamaha vs denon, I go with denon
Too bad Onkyo and Pioneer Dirac enabled AVR are not in Asia yet.

frenzzsg

Reaction score
budget on upgrade?

AVR20, you need to spend a lot on other stuff. AVR5 is the cheapest in the series. I think it costing ~$4k. I have the AVR10

Yamaha vs denon, I go with denon
Too bad Onkyo and Pioneer Dirac enabled AVR are not in Asia yet.

Budget wise i am thinking between 4K - 7K. So i guess AVR20 is still within it
What do u mean i need to spend a lot on other stuffs ah?

Now a friend also suggested maybe i can look at Denon X4000/6000/8000 series. esp the X8500HA since they have upgraded the HDMI.

As mentioned, i'm not a very technical person therefore my setup will likely stay as :
Source -> AVR -> Speakers + TV
Will definitely be upgrading/adding more speakers when i shift to my new place (Likely doing it in 2yrs)
Now my question will be, will it be an overkill to get such heavy-weighted AVR (Eg. X8500HA)?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Now a friend also suggested maybe i can look at Denon X4000/6000/8000 series. esp the X8500HA since they have upgraded the HDMI.

As mentioned, i'm not a very technical person therefore my setup will likely stay as :
Will definitely be upgrading/adding more speakers when i shift to my new place (Likely doing it in 2yrs)
Now my question will be, will it be an overkill to get such heavy-weighted AVR (Eg. X8500HA)?
The new YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A8A has ALL its HDMI ports as 2.1 as opposed to DENON X8500HA which has far less HDMI 2.1 ports. I think it comes with 1xIN/2xOUTS for HDMI 2.1 ports. The YAMAHA is great for connecting to many devices which support 8K and/or 120Hz. For near futureproofing the YAMAHA is a better choice.

As to which AVR (Denon vs Yamaha) performs better, easier to set up and use, better quality/reliability, tech support/troubleshooting support etc I believe users of these AVRs can contribute more.

The problem now with YAMAHA is still awaiting for the firmware updates to enable all the features. And it's not IMAX-Enhanced certified. If I'm not wrong SAMSUNG TVs are NOT IMAX-Enhanced certified as well.

Last edited:

beary2teddy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a noob in HT

I want to do a 5.1 system, which AVR is suitable for this? Not looking to get all fancy, just get the job done with decent price & sound. Don't think I'll be going more than 5.1

I'll be using to watch movies mainly via netflix, disney+, etc.

Also I just want to use the TV sound for daily usage, can I do this? Or must I always use the 5.1? Thanks!

My budget for AVR + 5.1 setup is about $2.5k

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Primary usage :

Current System :
2. Samsung 8K QLED TV

1. AVR
2. Blu-Ray Player

BTW, what blu-ray player are you using now? Too bad SAMSUNG 8K QLED TV not supporting Dolby Vision like mine. SAMSUNG TVs support HDR10 and HDR10+ formats only.

I bought the IPUK 4K UHD Blu-ray player when I bought my SAMSUNG 8K NEO QLED TV. It supports HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision so I can watch movies in HDR10 and HDR10+ formats. Read my short take here.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...u-ray-universal-player-my-short-take.6590810/

Last edited:

frenzzsg

Reaction score
BTW, what blu-ray player are you using now? Too bad SAMSUNG 8K QLED TV not supporting Dolby Vision like mine. SAMSUNG TVs support HDR10 and HDR10+ formats only.

I bought the IPUK 4K UHD Blu-ray player when I bought my SAMSUNG 8K NEO QLED TV. It supports HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision so I can watch movies in HDR10 and HDR10+ formats. Read my short take here.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...u-ray-universal-player-my-short-take.6590810/

Previously was using Marantz UD7007. Very entry one only ah....haha
Havent decide on my replacement yet becuz i dont watch blu-ray that often.
But i collected quite a fair bit of DVD concerts hahaha, so definitely need a player

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if U have budget to blow on 4-7k on just AVR sure go for it.
https://av1group.com.sg/collections/arcam
note they are not HDMI 2.1 yet.
if U just want to do 5.1 a AVR10 will do. Don't know how much is upgrade to HDMI 2.1.
issue with Dirac, if you are not technical its a pain to configure the system.

Denon or Yamaha is easier. Denon room correction algo is more complex than Yamaha.
ppl sold their Arcam for Denon just because dirac is not user friendly.

if bluray player. not sure if you can get Panasonic DP-UB9000 but Pioneer UDP-LX500 is $1.5k. IPUK also good, reading around it state its a OPPO clone.

speakers can get very expensive fast! Wilson cost alot, Revel Performa is like $8K for tower speakers alone. too many choice out there too. dont blow all your budget on AVR.

if you plan on doing a 5.2.4 then look for a AVR which supports that now. if you don't mind separates the like me get a separate Amp to power your atmos.

this year not a good year to upgrade. parts hard to find a pricing all high. denon and marantz all have trouble getting parts today.

enjoy your hunt!

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a noob in HT

I want to do a 5.1 system, which AVR is suitable for this? Not looking to get all fancy, just get the job done with decent price & sound. Don't think I'll be going more than 5.1

I'll be using to watch movies mainly via netflix, disney+, etc.

Also I just want to use the TV sound for daily usage, can I do this? Or must I always use the 5.1? Thanks!

My budget for AVR + 5.1 setup is about $2.5k

you can get a nice soundbar with Sub no need to get AVR.

AVR can get complicated and don't forget u need to wire those rear speakers.

something like the sony OR klipsch below can meet your needs
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/sound-bars/ht-a7000https://www.klipsch.com/products/cinema-1200-sound-bar-and-surround-system

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.