Which AVR is the best?

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s help.
Gotten my x3700H and gosh I missed my 5.1 sooooo much.
I think it’s really good nuff for me, for now.^_^
U got the multiEQ app? Can try since its cheap compared to hardware.

Also I recently got a second svs subwoofer and wah another positive jump in sound quality even for me, a single listener at home.

Dual subwoofer seems to help make my speakers sound more high resolution and the bass sounds more complete across wider frequency range even at lower playback volumes.

My two subs are different size though cos the price for bigger one dropped during 11-11 sale. So I left my older smaller one where it was, near corner of room while the newer bigger one I placed between left and center speaker, where I have less boundary reinforcement. Not sure if I am doing it right though heheh.

Last edited:

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score

Also I recently got a second svs subwoofer and wah another positive jump in sound quality even for me, a single listener at home.

Dual subwoofer seems to help make my speakers sound more high resolution and the bass sounds more complete across wider frequency range even at lower playback volumes.

My two subs are different size though cos the price for bigger one dropped during 11-11 sale. So I left my older smaller one where it was, near corner of room while the newer bigger one I placed between left and center speaker, where I have less boundary reinforcement. Not sure if I am doing it right though heheh.

Whooo nice!! I originally thought need subs of same size. Thanks to you, now I know I don't need!! Yeah, I am thinking of adding another sub to my room. Haha, going to scout in carousell...

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Whooo nice!! I originally thought need subs of same size. Thanks to you, now I know I don't need!! Yeah, I am thinking of adding another sub to my room. Haha, going to scout in carousell...
Eh I not expert hor. Dunno if same subs will be better also but my listening area is on right side of a long rectangle (old hdb 3rm) so I was thinking not symmetrical so maybe dun need same size sub? U may wanna research why many say get same size?

petetherock

Reaction score
Two identical ones will be ideal
Similar range as a second choice
I’m using two JL Audio E112s

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
Two identical ones will be ideal
Similar range as a second choice
I’m using two JL Audio E112s

Oh I see. The problem is that I have one super duper old def-tech pro-sub 100. ITs well over 10yrs old (more like 20yrs) and long obsolete. Can't find another in carousell. If I replace it, I feel its a waste since its still good. So kind of stuck.

Hmm.... maybe I shift this sub to the living room. Then I can get a ew sub!! lol....... need my "finance minister" to approve though.

petetherock

Reaction score
You can use this for now, but plan the next sub to be of the same model, eg the Starke 12" sealed sub is good value and a pair new won't break the bank.
Two JL Audio subs will be even nicer of course, maybe there are example on the resale market?

frenzzsg

Reaction score

Never get the app, looks quite complicated to me....haha

My current sub is already between the left and center speaker.
Additional sub will also means additional wiring and power source..lolol, cuz my current setup wirings are all concealed. Was lucky to buy the system when I was planning my renovation.

Never know that a 2nd sub will improve the sound quality. will keep that in mind and make sure i try it when i go for an audition for my speakers upgrade!! Thanks bro :)

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Additional sub will also means additional wiring and power source..lolol, cuz my current setup wirings are all concealed. Was lucky to buy the system when I was planning my renovation.
This tells me if I ever do reno I gonna ask them make hidden but accessible trunking for self adding new/additional wiring or for maintenance and replacement. Prolly gonna cost more though.

WatCult

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s help.
Gotten my x3700H and gosh I missed my 5.1 sooooo much.
I think it’s really good nuff for me, for now.^_^
Nice! How much did you get it for? I am also thinking about getting x3700H or Yamaha A4A or wait for the RZ50.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Just listened to a song and found it has very good quality recording for a rock song. With dual sub, really sound dem good.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Oh I see. The problem is that I have one super duper old def-tech pro-sub 100. ITs well over 10yrs old (more like 20yrs) and long obsolete. Can't find another in carousell. If I replace it, I feel its a waste since its still good. So kind of stuck.

Hmm.... maybe I shift this sub to the living room. Then I can get a ew sub!! lol....... need my "finance minister" to approve though.
Eh let us know once u have the 2nd sub. I wanna hear your opinion if there is much sound quality improvements also. Heheh.

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
Eh let us know once u have the 2nd sub. I wanna hear your opinion if there is much sound quality improvements also. Heheh.

Yea! ok can. Me scouting on Carousell....hehe. Hmm.... me also thinking about assembling my own sub... haha....

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yea! ok can. Me scouting on Carousell....hehe. Hmm.... me also thinking about assembling my own sub... haha....
Great idea! Last time I went to ac infinity seller flat, he showed me two giant DIY subwoofers behind his couch. They were each almost the size of a washing machine lying flat. Maybe that's why they say there is no replacement for displacement.

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
Great idea! Last time I went to ac infinity seller flat, he showed me two giant DIY subwoofers behind his couch. They were each almost the size of a washing machine lying flat. Maybe that's why they say there is no replacement for displacement.

Haha!! Yes... I am thinking subwoofer is basically just for bass.... Big 12-14" driver with lots of power. Saw this 12" JBL driver for ~$100. Then get a powerful class D amp. Then use a 1000W computer PSU...lol...

https://www.carousell.sg/p/jbl-12-i...ofer&t-referrer_sort_by=popular&t-tap_index=2
https://www.carousell.sg/p/soundstr...amp&t-referrer_sort_by=popular&t-tap_index=26

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Haha!! Yes... I am thinking subwoofer is basically just for bass.... Big 12-14" driver with lots of power. Saw this 12" JBL driver for ~$100. Then get a powerful class D amp. Then use a 1000W computer PSU...lol...

https://www.carousell.sg/p/jbl-12-i...ofer&t-referrer_sort_by=popular&t-tap_index=2
https://www.carousell.sg/p/soundstr...amp&t-referrer_sort_by=popular&t-tap_index=26
How much if u bought new parts online instead? Your diyAudio site should have lots of build guides and kits right?

sg_rangers

Reaction score
hi all, new to home theater. i'm building a new 5.1.4 setup.
i've gotten all the equipment except for receiver.
klipsch rp8000f, rp6000f, rp450c, cdt-3800c-ii
svs pb2000 pro
I need at least 2x HDMI 2.1 ports for ps5 and PC for 4k120 gaming.
so i'm very interested in onkyo rz50. but there seems to be no news of it being available in singapore. i texted hwee seng and their answer was rather disinterested at best, saying they have no idea on new onkyo products.
yamaha A6A also not available and probably super expensive. their hdmi2.1 is "available based on future firmware update" which means it isn't going to work right out of the box?
denon x3700h only has 1 hdmi2.1 port.

should I wait for onkyo or go for the denon?
I plan to have everything in place before christmas.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, new to home theater. i'm building a new 5.1.4 setup.
i've gotten all the equipment except for receiver.
klipsch rp8000f, rp6000f, rp450c, cdt-3800c-ii
svs pb2000 pro
I need at least 2x HDMI 2.1 ports for ps5 and PC for 4k120 gaming.
so i'm very interested in onkyo rz50. but there seems to be no news of it being available in singapore. i texted hwee seng and their answer was rather disinterested at best, saying they have no idea on new onkyo products.
yamaha A6A also not available and probably super expensive. their hdmi2.1 is "available based on future firmware update" which means it isn't going to work right out of the box?
denon x3700h only has 1 hdmi2.1 port.

should I wait for onkyo or go for the denon?
I plan to have everything in place before christmas.
All of the YAMAHA's HDMI inputs/outputs of A6A/A8A support 8K@60Hz and 4K@120Hz. It is great if you want to connect to many devices running 8K@60Hz/4K@120Hz

It seems the ONYKO RZ50 comes with 7xHDMI inputs and 2xoutputs. 6 of which are HDMI 2.1 supporting 8K@60Hz/4K@120Hz and 1xHDMI input is 2.0. See below specs

https://listenup.com/onkyo-tx-rz50-9-2-channel-thx-certified-av-receiver.html
I believe the YAMAHA is better for future proofing. And firmware update will come next quarter. The SINAD performance of the A6A don't look good from net review so far if I'm not wrong............unless future firmware corrects it.

Latest news is hands-off those YAMAHA AxA AVRS lor

Here are some updates right from a Yamaha insider.

The current AxA line have a serious YPAO bug that will not allow accurate calibrations if more than 3 measurement points are used (will results in speaker distance error that will cause serious comb filtering effect). Atmos + DD+ will results in erroneous object location when AI is used. And finally, the low SINAD on the Center, and surround channels is hardware related so it cannot be fixed by future FW updates. Yamaha engineers are aware of this and promise to replace some component in upcoming future revisions of these AVRs (mid 2022).

So the bottom line, you should avoid the new line of Yamaha AVRs until after the second half of 2022 (component shortages is the blame for the long delay).

Unquote

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../yamaha-rx-a8a-japanese-website.23564/page-11
DENON has only 1xHDMI In/2x HDMI Out supporting 8K@60Hz. If you want to get the DENON then get a HDMI 2.1 switch supporting 8K and 120Hz for more inputs. Example is the HDFury 4x4 HDMI 2.1 8K Vrroom switch below.

https://hdfury.com/product/8k-vrroom-40gbps/
A small comparison between the Onkyo TX-RZ50 vs. Denon X4700H vs. Yamaha RX-A6A below

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...rz50-vs-denon-x4700h-vs-yamaha-rx-a6a.373669/
IMO, THX, Auro 3D and IMAX Enhanced features are useless because THX/IMAX-Enhanced certified equipment are needed before they can be taken advantage of. The latter two have even fewer content utilizing them as compared to Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos/DTS:X. And using IMAX Enhanced feature will upset your room calibration by resetting the crossover frequency to 70Hz.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.