Which Direction Will Property Prices Go ?

kpkb

Reaction score

HDB Resale Prices Continue Rising for Ten Straight Months in April 2021; Year-on-Year Prices Increase 10.8%​

• Year-on-year, the overall price increase is 10.8%.
  • Year-on-year, prices for all room types increase in April 2021: 3 Room by 13.5%, 4 Room by 10.4%, 5 Room by 9.1% and Executive by 10.8%.
  • Mature and Non-Mature Estates prices increase by 9.4% and 11.8% respectively from a year ago.
  • April 2021 prices are 3.7% lower than the peak in April 2013.

Who would have predicted a HDB resale boom during a recession? Almost unbelievable. While this pandemic has badly disrupted housing supply with delays, i didn’t realize the demand is so strong.

Last edited:

sgpropertyhodler

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
it will depend on how fast the property sectors - hdbs and condos - grow month to month. if it's double-digit month to month, i would think we might see some form of cooling measures soon.

Squeezer

Reaction score
Why are people still talking about cooling measures?

The gahman have their hands full with so many problems and this is of the lower priority, at least for now.

superflygun

Reaction score
People still get married and need houses... Perhaps the construction backlog caused this mess. And also a lack of housing stock akin during MBT time, bto should have been a speedier process, considering there's always a heavy oversubscribed in popular places

See some people mentioning they ballot for over 4 times.. That's like 1 year gone easily. 1 year of life and plans may just get delayed

bujingyun82

Reaction score
Who would have predicted a HDB resale boom during a recession? Almost unbelievable. While this pandemic has badly disrupted housing supply with delays, i didn’t realize the demand is so strong.

I think mainly because of the BTO delays..

Passerboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
People still get married and need houses... Perhaps the construction backlog caused this mess. And also a lack of housing stock akin during MBT time, bto should have been a speedier process, considering there's always a heavy oversubscribed in popular places

See some people mentioning they ballot for over 4 times.. That's like 1 year gone easily. 1 year of life and plans may just get delayed
HDB upgrades recently big huat can upgrade to private now w the high resale prices.

Falafell

Reaction score
Actually, there are certain camps of people who feel that purchasing a BTO from HDB is nothing more than renting from HDB, where after 99 yrs the rental ends. The govt did clarify before that a buyer indeed owns the HDB flat, but if a HDB flat really runs to 0 value, isnt it the same as renting 99 years? After so long, HDB still hasnt finalised VERS or improved LBB scheme.

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If HDB pricing continues to move up, there is no way private will rise slower.
Hoot private if you can afford it.

TeamUSA

Reaction score
Actually, there are certain camps of people who feel that purchasing a BTO from HDB is nothing more than renting from HDB, where after 99 yrs the rental ends. The govt did clarify before that a buyer indeed owns the HDB flat, but if a HDB flat really runs to 0 value, isnt it the same as renting 99 years? After so long, HDB still hasnt finalised VERS or improved LBB scheme.
I dont understand what is the issue with this...so most people assume that 99 lease hold condos will confirm enbloc ? That is not true... Look at those in east cost/bayshore, many are around 50 years- 60 years lease left and nowhwere close to being enbloc.

scanner007

Reaction score
I dont understand what is the issue with this...so most people assume that 99 lease hold condos will confirm enbloc ? That is not true... Look at those in east cost/bayshore, many are around 50 years- 60 years lease left and nowhwere close to being enbloc.
That's true. That is also why the need to get a good prime location if possible, such as where rejuvenation will likely take place if not there is this unknown.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Hippocrates

Reaction score
If no need to buy near Punggol then go find other gems ard sg. I find that it’s too expensive Liao. So far so ulu n so many ppl
Lol, ulu means deserted… it conflicts with “so many people”.

Near or far depends on the reference. With the shift of population density and decentralisation… the central reference point may not be CBD anymore. That’s a trend to take note of.

keithster

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If HDB pricing continues to move up, there is no way private will rise slower.
Hoot private if you can afford it.

I will say not for resale condos...

even prime location ones may have hard time selling cos too many selling so no exquisitivity yet wanna profit enuff...

Passerboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will say not for resale condos...

even prime location ones may have hard time selling cos too many selling so no exquisitivity yet wanna profit enuff...
Not true..

see the below EdgeProp article on top gains and loss, unit at Maplewood in D21 completed in 1997 gg for 18xxpsf. Noticed a steady climb in the resale prices of this project, 2016 was 14xxpsf..

ThinkCarefully

Reaction score
Not true..

see the below EdgeProp article on top gains and loss, unit at Maplewood in D21 completed in 1997 gg for 18xxpsf. Noticed a steady climb in the resale prices of this project, 2016 was 14xxpsf..

###

Looks like Sentosa consistently chui...

###

bujingyun82

Reaction score
Not true..

Maplewoods is a quite well-maintained condo..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.