Which Direction Will Property Prices Go ?

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
That is exactly who i was referring to

and a few others

i rmb receiving an economics lecture that interest rate is impossible to stay high!!!
interest rate is impossible to stay high forever.

But "markets can stay irrational longer than we can remain solvent" applies for both bull and bear.

bluegt

Reaction score
Looking at resale in D9-D11 indeed. Came across few people recently who are renting in D9-11 and the rental they are paying is sky high. It is interesting in an environment of high rental yield in CCR, the prices are supposedly still beaten down.

Any interesting projects I can target? Looking at bigger projects with healthy transactions.

Soleil @ Sinaran has been a hot one recently. Just keep in mind that you will be paying full price with these large projects (because there are lots of transactions). For the same reason, easier to exit if you are the type to buy/sell often.

Trilight and Residences @ Evelyn at the Newton area large as well. Not as "hot" as Soleil, but they are Freehold.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Soleil @ Sinaran has been a hot one recently. Just keep in mind that you will be paying full price with these large projects (because there are lots of transactions). For the same reason, easier to exit if you are the type to buy/sell often.

Trilight and Residences @ Evelyn at the Newton area large as well. Not as "hot" as Soleil, but they are Freehold.
My budget is below 2m for 2 bedder. Soleil looks like a good shout thanks.

FH should be out for me especially in Newton.

bluegt

Reaction score
My budget is below 2m for 2 bedder. Soleil looks like a good shout thanks.

FH should be out for me especially in Newton.

Really nice development. Worth doing a viewing, facilities are still top notch and it's just beside the MRT. Larger units have private lifts also.

Prices at Soleil have run up to 2000 PSF and its 16+ years into the lease, so personally I'd rather get a FH at 2000-2100PSF at Newton rather than a LH at 1900-2000PSF at Novena. That said, both are great options vs say LM or AMO.

Hohohomoo

Banned
Reaction score
Really nice development. Worth doing a viewing, facilities are still top notch and it's just beside the MRT. Larger units have private lifts also.

Prices at Soleil have run up to 2000 PSF and its 16+ years into the lease, so personally I'd rather get a FH at 2000-2100PSF at Newton rather than a LH at 1900-2000PSF at Novena. That said, both are great options vs say LM or AMO.
Amo and lentor is the best. Because there’s a lot of queuing. Newton/novena no good because no one queuing.
when buy cai png, look out for longest q.
When buy property, the same principle applies :(

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Saw a few 2 bedders transacted at 18xx psf this year, got chance. Aug, there was one for 1801psf. Let's see if this imminent inflation spook off more weak hands.

FH at Newton, don't think have 2-2.1PSF.

I have no interest in new launches.

bluegt

Reaction score
Saw a few 2 bedders transacted at 18xx psf this year, got chance. Aug, there was one for 1801psf. Let's see if this imminent inflation spook off more weak hands.

FH at Newton, don't think have 2-2.1PSF.

I have no interest in new launches.

Smart!

The ones I have seen transacted in the last 2-3 months around that area, < 2,200 PSF and <1,000 SQFT - all Freehold:
- The Peak @ Cairnhill I
- The Armadale
- Suites @ Newton
- Novena Suites
- Novena Hill
- Novena Court
- Newton Edge
- Newton 18
- L'Viv
- Mulberry Tree

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Smart!

The ones I have seen transacted in the last 2-3 months around that area, < 2,200 PSF and <1,000 SQFT - all Freehold:
- The Peak @ Cairnhill I
- The Armadale
- Suites @ Newton
- Novena Suites
- Novena Hill
- Novena Court
- Newton Edge
- Newton 18
- L'Viv
- Mulberry Tree
Some FHs like Novena Court, is 52 yo! Looking like it's from another dimension. The prices are also quite depressed.

I just wonder for people who pays premium for FH, like 3k psf or something, do they really expect to hold it "forever". When that development reaches 50yo and look like a relic, how will it still be worth 3k psf?

Maybe by then properties are averaging 6k psf lol.

bluegt

Reaction score
Some FHs like Novena Court, is 52 yo! Looking like it's from another dimension. The prices are also quite depressed.

I just wonder for people who pays premium for FH, like 3k psf or something, do they really expect to hold it "forever". When that development reaches 50yo and look like a relic, how will it still be worth 3k psf?

Haha yeah, many old ones. I'm not familiar with those developments so would would need to check age for all of them.

Novena Court just transacted at 1500 PSF so they hold value. Buyers are either a) hoping for enbloc or b) plan to Reno and then it's like new (but not the facilities obviously). At that age, the building structure is probably worth 0 and what you pay for at 1500 PSF is just the land value (which will only appreciate).

Personally, I'd go for one closer to ~2000 PSF which is ~10-20 years old for own stay . They will still have modern facilities & exterior.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah, many old ones. I'm not familiar with those developments so would would need to check age for all of them.

Novena Court just transacted at 1500 PSF so they hold value. Buyers are either a) hoping for enbloc or b) plan to Reno and then it's like new (but not the facilities obviously). At that age, the building structure is probably worth 0 and what you pay for at 1500 PSF is just the land value (which will only appreciate).

Personally, I'd go for one closer to ~2000 PSF which is ~10-20 years old for own stay . They will still have modern facilities & exterior.
Yeah the only drawback for the 10-20yo FHs is the lack of transactions and the small development >100 units. Sleepy developments are not very ideal for investments.

I will go for Soleil if i can get below 1800.

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Rental flats r renewed ones right
Then going to build more elsewhere
the rental buildings will b torn down to let those ppl go stay with those 2/3/4 rooms kind of bto to kinda upgrade their social status? So the jialat ones won’t mix with the jialat ones? Will slowly see simi is “norm” ?

N plans r moving
Now see this n that but 5-10yrs down who will know if the rental flats will b demolished?

scanner007

Reaction score
08-11 starbuy 2273 psf

1076sqft

Just checked still available

48% sold as of today
The only one @$2273?
Anyway, you sounded as if LM unit "strangely still can’t move".

Extracting from squarefoot average PFS is now at S$ 2,361 psf excluding sale after 4 Sep 2022.
Cheapest: 1 bedder unit of 495 sqft is selling at $2,668 and 2 bedder 678 sqft at $2.6k psf.

Units has been moving for past few months likely all thanks to the breeze sale of the OCR untis selling above $2k psf.

Got to watch whether the increase interest rate will greatly impact its sale.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score

52 year old is crazy. I rather stay somewhere new. Last Sun my friend jio me to Punggol Marina to see his atas yatch. Then buy us lunch. **! The whole place rundown like ****. Even toilet freak me out. I rather go NorthShore.

bluegt

Reaction score
Yeah the only drawback for the 10-20yo FHs is the lack of transactions and the small development >100 units. Sleepy developments are not very ideal for investments.

I will go for Soleil if i can get below 1800.

The more the transactions, the more transparency in pricing which also means there is no "deal" to be had.

Soleil for example - you will have dozens of people viewing, buyer will have half a dozen offers. If you want to "win" then you must be the highest bidder (I've tried to buy there before multiple times). That said, yes it does mean when you want to exit, you will also have multiple people bidding on your property (maybe less because people are hesitant about old leasehold). So you buy high, but also hopefully sell high.

Smaller developments will take weeks to sell, but it also means you can offer a lower price and win. However, on exit, you will also face the issue of the unit taking weeks to sell.

In most property markets, the discount experienced by smaller developments is relatively small because people value the intrinsic value of the development (space to live, amenities, location).

In SG the discount is massive because we like to follow the queues and crowds! Should queues and crowds determine what you buy? If you treat property like a stock, then liquidity (ability to quickly buy and sell) matters - so yes do go for high transaction volume. If you value the space you have, location, etc, don't mind it taking a few weeks to sell at some unknown point in the future, smaller developments have the best value.

All depends on individual situation. This doesn't necessarily mean bigger or smaller gains. I shared this before about transactions in the last 2 years - lots of money to be made in mid and smaller developments...

Mid-Size Developments:
Residences @ Evelyn - 13 Transactions, 12 Profitable, Largest Gain: $1,432,880
Trilight - 8 Transactions, 100% Profitable, Largest Gain: $709,000

Smaller Developments:
Newton One - 3 Transactions, 100% Profitable: Largest Gain: $819,100
Newton 18 - 9 Transactions, 100% Profitable, Largest Gain: $832,000

Last edited:

Hohohomoo

Banned
Reaction score
The more the transactions, the more transparency in pricing which also means there is no "deal" to be had.

Soleil for example - you will have dozens of people viewing, buyer will have half a dozen offers. If you want to "win" then you must be the highest bidder (I've tried to buy there before multiple times). That said, yes it does mean when you want to exit, you will also have multiple people bidding on your property (maybe less because people are hesitant about old leasehold). So you buy high, but also hopefully sell high.

Smaller developments will take weeks to sell, but it also means you can offer a lower price and win. However, on exit, you will also face the issue of the unit taking weeks to sell.

In most property markets, the discount experienced by smaller developments is relatively small because people value the intrinsic value of the development (space to live, amenities, location).

In SG the discount is massive because we like to follow the queues and crowds! Should queues and crowds determine what you buy? If you treat property like a stock, then liquidity (ability to quickly buy and sell) matters - so yes do go for high transaction volume. If you value the space you have, location, etc, don't mind it taking a few weeks to sell at some unknown point in the future, smaller developments have the best value.

All depends on individual situation. This doesn't necessarily mean bigger or smaller gains. I shared this before about transactions in the last 2 years - lots of money to be made in mid and smaller developments...

Mid-Size Developments:

Smaller Developments:
If a property (esp a boutique development) only takes weeks to sell, u should be going temple and thank the Buddha Liao. Unless u sell at 50% discount or much lower than last transaction then maybe still possible.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Mid-Size Developments:

Smaller Developments:
Depends on your horizon and your purpose for it. Those that made alot of money should be those who bought big units average 20 years back for their own stay, and is benefiting from the overall increase in prices.

My horizon is 5-10 years max and purely investment, I don't see the prices for small (and old) developments going up alot. Ultimately the exit plan is hazy, which I don't like. From my observations of some of these sleepy small developments, sometimes you sell at a loss also no takers. Bigger developments have an easier exit plan. Worse case I break even on capital just earn off my rental if i go in at a good price.

The rest depends on a good entry price. If I don't get the price I want, I won't buy even if there are 10 or 0 bidders. Something like Soleil I am looking at 1600-1700 psf for 2 bedder. If I can't get it I won't buy.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Buy new price is fixed. You don’t buy, next person may buy. Buy resale either kana carrot by seller or lowball by buyer. Still sian one.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy new price is fixed. You don’t buy, next person may buy. Buy resale either kana carrot by seller or lowball by buyer. Still sian one.
Resale I can also lowball before I buy mah, it's all fair game.

New, the developer grab you by the nose, some even hang up to sell. I'm not so desperate ah. The desperate ones can go buybuybuy, I see show only.

nats7798

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U then Kum lan. That one not only no queue, also poorly maintained and look like slum. How to have satki house warming and show off to your relatives? Chio bu will only cheer for u if u buy new launch. :(
Lol ya la u can go and chase the top market
Recently Centro got 1 unit 904sqft transacted 1.6M

go and chase after ur amo and lentor..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.