Which Direction Will Property Prices Go ?

bluegt

Reaction score
You have to decide between comfort vs store of wealth. Novena court maybe cheap but I think my wife will kick a fuss if I tell her that will be our new home. We love full height window and lots of light into the house. Those old estate cannot.
Store of wealth definitely yes. If I want my money to appreciate, then stock market definitely is better
For me, status is secondary. One can haolian a lot but end of the day still boils down to how much ur bank account has. Haha

Haha, not always such a tradeoff. Can have comfort & store of wealth, yet not be "new". If you want 1) comfort, 2) store of wealth and 3) new... very hard because store of wealth and new is often contradictory. New in itself doesn't give any intrinsic value. New does mean full-height windows, but resale can also get the same. New means well kept amenities, but resale can also have. New means in good condition, but resale can also be - anyway, false choice as reno likely regardless of new or resale.

Find a resale that ticks all your criteria, nearby to amenities, very well lighted, etc. I agree, very old like Novena Court, no way, but there are many others that are <15 years old and as such have modern design. Get a high floor and you are set. All can be had in prime area for less than AMO/LM/SE new launch.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Haha, not always such a tradeoff. Can have comfort & store of wealth, yet not be "new". If you want 1) comfort, 2) store of wealth and 3) new... very hard because store of wealth and new is often contradictory. New in itself doesn't give any intrinsic value. New does mean full-height windows, but resale can also get the same. New means well kept amenities, but resale can also have. New means in good condition, but resale can also be - anyway, false choice as reno likely regardless of new or resale.

Find a resale that ticks all your criteria, nearby to amenities, very well lighted, etc. I agree, very old like Novena Court, no way, but there are many others that are <15 years old and as such have modern design. Get a high floor and you are set. All can be had in prime area for less than AMO/LM/SE new launch.
Ppl tell me property if > 20 years old value drop very fast lei. Sure buy 15 year old property?

Gibbfa

Reaction score
Meanwhile D'Evelyn, a FH just behind Pullman and a stone's throw from Newton MRT (1 stop from Orchard), just had a transaction at $1,654PSF (614sqft unit).

Amazing that people are willing to queue and pay 2100+ PSF for ulu location LH new launches.
New launch premium doesn’t make sense .

much more value in resale

Gibbfa

Reaction score
For me, stay in house must be new. Must have good facilities also. Amenities such as ntuc, good school, medical facilities, eateries more important than mrt. Sea/ mountain view is good but sea view must be those Maldives type.

For investment, don’t buy property but good businesses (stocks). D'Evelyn is cui. (1) looks old (2) no facilities

Sometimes it is the perception. Today u can say you have $10m portfolio and got few properties. If you got no car, ppl also see you no up. Just like properties, you buy value for money property but old and no facilities, ppl also laugh at you. Like Novena court, give me lobang I also don’t want
Novena court is a good buy. Just hold till en bloc

googoogaga

Reaction score
Novena court is a good buy. Just hold till en bloc
Agree with the Elvin Tay clone here. Some old property are just too old for self stay. Maybe good as an investment and rental. But even then novena couet is risky causes it's super old and freehold. If it hasn't been Enbloc yet then probably there are problematic or greedy owners?

ThinkCarefully

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
#####

the EC video was very telling
Lentor ulu 9 mrt stops to Orchard... what’s the big deal

go and look at the mrt line network, within 9 stops to orchard there are so many options.

ok, Lentor ulu is new, but amenities and schools etc very lacking...

Anyway 84% of buyers think it is worth their Cheque, so we hope they Huat...

then we all can Huat very very big

#####

bluegt

Reaction score
Ppl tell me property if > 20 years old value drop very fast lei. Sure buy 15 year old property?

For leasehold, best to exit before 25 years IMO... the potential buyer pool shrinks as the property ages. Further, after 20-25 years the value loss due to lease decay could easily exceed appreciation. So hard to sell + lose value.

For freehold, no issue of lease decay. Like Gibbfa said, just hold till enbloc. At that price, you are paying 0 for the unit and really only playing for the land. It's great value...

Good enbloc potential, likely appreciation, sure make money... interior very nice after reno. However, feel good factor won't be there because its an old development - hence why I wouldn't buy personally.

Sweet spot to me is FH 10-20 years old (2002-2012). Still nice facilities & units, no issue of lease decay and they tend to be much cheaper. Some examples from Newton, 1 stop to Orchard and Novena Health Hub, direct line to CBD, MBS, Botanic, and just across Cairnhill. No mass mega developments as it's largely a landed area -- can't get much better of a location:

Property - Recent Transactions - # Profitable, Gain -> Year Built / Current PSF
Residences @ Evelyn - 13 Transactions, 12 Profitable, Largest Gain: $1,432,880 -> 2007 / 2100 PSF
Trilight - 8 Transactions, 100% Profitable, Largest Gain: $709,000 -> 2012 / 2100 PSF
Newton One - 3 Transactions, 100% Profitable: Largest Gain: $819,100 -> 2009 / 2200 PSF
Newton 18 - 9 Transactions, 100% Profitable, Largest Gain: $832,000 -> 2002 / 2000 PSF

To me, these vs ulu location AMO / LM at the same PSF is a no-brainer. Especially as there will be good appreciation. Pullman (FH) beside Newton One is selling at 3000 PSF and Kopar (LH) beside Newton 18 is selling at 2600 PSF. Once they TOP, the whole area will appreciate.

Last edited:

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
#####

the EC video was very telling
Lentor ulu 9 mrt stops to Orchard... what’s the big deal

go and look at the mrt line network, within 9 stops to orchard there are so many options.

ok, Lentor ulu is new, but amenities and schools etc very lacking...

Anyway 84% of buyers think it is worth their Cheque, so we hope they Huat...

then we all can Huat very very big

#####
New then got upside mah. Last time ppl also say Sentosa no school and all the cock. 10 years later you see Lentor price. Don’t cry

ThinkCarefully

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New then got upside mah. Last time ppl also say Sentosa no school and all the cock. 10 years later you see Lentor price. Don’t cry

###

why cry?
If they can Huat, Many Huat very very big...

should be happy

new launch buyer is one time only
Subsequent buyers are either subsale or resale buyers...

###

Last edited:

Robertcarrot

Banned
Reaction score
For leasehold, best to exit before 25 years IMO... the potential buyer pool shrinks as the property ages. Further, after 20-25 years the value loss due to lease decay could easily exceed appreciation. So hard to sell + lose value.

For freehold, no issue of lease decay. Like Gibbfa said, just hold till enbloc. At that price, you are paying 0 for the unit and really only playing for the land. It's great value...

Good enbloc potential, likely appreciation, sure make money... interior very nice after reno. However, feel good factor won't be there because its an old development - hence why I wouldn't buy personally.

Sweet spot to me is FH 10-20 years old (2002-2012). Still nice facilities & units, no issue of lease decay and they tend to be much cheaper. Some examples from Newton, 1 stop to Orchard and Novena Health Hub, direct line to CBD, MBS, Botanic, and just across Cairnhill. No mass mega developments as it's largely a landed area -- can't get much better of a location:

Property - Recent Transactions - # Profitable, Gain -> Year Built / Current PSF
Residences @ Evelyn - 13 Transactions, 12 Profitable, Largest Gain: $1,432,880 -> 2007 / 2100 PSF
Trilight - 8 Transactions, 100% Profitable, Largest Gain: $709,000 -> 2012 / 2100 PSF
Newton One - 3 Transactions, 100% Profitable: Largest Gain: $819,100 -> 2009 / 2200 PSF
Newton 18 - 9 Transactions, 100% Profitable, Largest Gain: $832,000 -> 2002 / 2000 PSF

To me, these vs ulu location AMO / LM at the same PSF is a no-brainer. Especially as there will be good appreciation. Pullman (FH) beside Newton One is selling at 3000 PSF and Kopar (LH) beside Newton 18 is selling at 2600 PSF. Once they TOP, the whole area will appreciate.
Wah, FH condo hold until enbloc. Means my whole life must hold on to one property? What if uplorry Liao still no enbloc leh? Lol
Err…btw, most of the newton examples u gave mostly less than 3 transaction per year. And these condos are from last decade or two. Which pre 2010 condo can’t make money after holding for so long? Many other non core region districts condo of the same era also can perform as good if not better, and with a much healthier transaction volume than all these newton condos. Why die die must be newton? :o

Last edited:

bongbongboy

Reaction score
Wah, FH condo hold until enbloc. Means my whole life must hold on to one property? What if I uplorry Liao still no enbloc leh? Lol Err…btw, most of the newton examples u gave mostly less than 3 transaction per year. And these condos are from last decade or two. Which pre 2010 condo can’t make money after holding for so long? Many other non core region districts condo of the same era also can make huge profit and with a much healthier transaction volume. Why die die must be newton? :o
Land betterment charge has increased too which may affect enbloc.

https://www.edgeprop.sg/amp/propert...residential-developments-see-biggest-increase
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/go...average-by-129-for-non-landed-residential?amp

bluegt

Reaction score
Wah, FH condo hold until enbloc. Means my whole life must hold on to one property? What if uplorry Liao still no enbloc leh? Lol
Err…btw, most of the newton examples u gave mostly less than 3 transaction per year. And these condos are from last decade or two. Which pre 2010 condo can’t make money after holding for so long? Many other non core region districts condo of the same era also can perform as good if not better, and with a much healthier transaction volume than all these newton condos. Why die die must be newton? :o

like I said, store of wealth, can pass on 10 generations until it’s worth $50,000 PSF. In case of LH, if one can’t enbloc within 20-30 years then no chance. Too exp for developer to top up so land will just be returned to gov. All value lost. LH is just a rental from government after all.

River Valley, Orchard, Cairnhill, too late already. Very expensive. Newton is still reasonable.

Other locations either ulu or no good schools. Tell me where else in desirable prime districts you can fetch a FH for $2000 PSF? I haven’t been able to find… maybe Rocher or Wilkie but those areas aren’t so nice.

bluegt

Reaction score

Btw, your analysis quite backwards looking. Non core performance was due to Covid. Easy to see this if you look at historical trends.

2 years ago was the best time to enter noncore. Now trend has flipped, enter non-core now and it’s a sure loss.

Robertcarrot

Banned
Reaction score
like I said, store of wealth, can pass on 10 generations until it’s worth $50,000 PSF. In case of LH, if one can’t enbloc within 20-30 years then no chance. Too exp for developer to top up so land will just be returned to gov. All value lost. LH is just a rental from government after all.

River Valley, Orchard, Cairnhill, too late already. Very expensive. Newton is still reasonable.

Other locations either ulu or no good schools. Tell me where else in desirable prime districts you can fetch a FH for $2000 PSF? I haven’t been able to find… maybe Rocher or Wilkie but those areas aren’t so nice.
Honestly newton/novena quite a crappy district to invest. Less than 3 transaction per year means u basically hardly can find 🥕 to bail u out. Why must one buy into a district with transaction volume in such a pity state? Of coz u can continue to sing praises but transaction volume don’t lie :o
FH can Pass down to 10 generation? You mean From Tang Dynasty to Ching dynasty ?

Robertcarrot

Banned
Reaction score
Btw, your analysis quite backwards looking. Non core performance was due to Covid. Easy to see this if you look at historical trends.

2 years ago was the best time to enter noncore. Now trend has flipped, enter non-core now and it’s a sure loss.
Hehe Nonsense la. Non core area performance like D15 has always been performing consistently well and one of most sought after district even before covid. Even slumgol also see distinctive growth in price over the years. Go check out non core areas like high park residence, poiz, Waterbank profitably and transaction volume la. The next growth area probably to be Tengah. Simi backward looking and due to covid?! Everyday come here promote your newton/novena condo u buay Sian meh? Number of transaction so pathetic how to exit? Sell to who? Who would want to get stuck with a property that is so hard to exit? Lol

Last edited:

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Honestly newton/novena quite a crappy district to invest. Less than 3 transaction per year means u basically hardly can find 🥕 to bail u out. Why must one buy into a district with transaction volume in such a pity state? Of coz u can continue to sing praises but transaction volume don’t lie :o
FH can Pass down to 10 generation? You mean From Tang Dynasty to Ching dynasty ?

Simi $50,000 psf? You talking about hell notes or banana notes? To me, FH only if you can afford landed. FH condo seriously is a waste of time to me.

Robertcarrot

Banned
Reaction score
Historical data has proven FH CCR carry a higher risk due to higher quantum and lower transaction. self stay still ok but definitely not for investment. When in buyer’s market, Pullman hardly moves. Pullman is just another version of perfect 10. Many past huat kuey transactions mostly come from suburb or city fringe LH properties. Healthy transaction volume and profit seen in jadescape, park colonial, park esta, seaside residence already pointing to the fact that many sinkie are not keen to stay in CCR area. The only value I see in FH is in landed nia.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hehe Nonsense la. Non core area performance like D15 has always been performing consistently well and most sought after district even before covid. Even slumgol also see distinctive growth in price over the years. Go check out non core areas like high park residence, poiz, Waterbank profitably and transaction volume la. The next growth area probably to be Tengah. Simi backward looking and due to covid?! Everyday come here promote your newton/novena condo u buay Sian meh? Number of transaction so pathetic how to exit? Sell to who? Who would want to get stuck with a property that is so hard to exit? Lol
I think Lentor maybe another hot area. I think think developers are idiots. We are not like Malaysia lei. Develop 9 parcel of lands to be ghosts town. If ppl dare to develop around Lentor, I think likely got demand in future. Novena/ Newton many small development. The area beside TTSH/ NCID a bit dangerous. If ppl say cannot be beside 1 hospital (simi Sengkang, SGH, Changi), the worst is to be beside health city. Anything can pop up here and there

Robertcarrot

Banned
Reaction score
I think Lentor maybe another hot area. I think think developers are idiots. We are not like Malaysia lei. Develop 9 parcel of lands to be ghosts town. If ppl dare to develop around Lentor, I think likely got demand in future. Novena/ Newton many small development. The area beside TTSH/ NCID a bit dangerous. If ppl say cannot be beside 1 hospital (simi Sengkang, SGH, Changi), the worst is to be beside health city. Anything can pop up here and there
The worst investment strategy is to buy in a smallish development with low transaction and at high quantum. Even a 2 bedder in newton can cost as high as near 3mil. If I got 3 mil to invest, I think I can fully paid off 2 RCR/OCR 2 bedder in a decent size project for both rental and cap gain.
Boutique development and smallish project has always been a red flag as they are known to be difficult to exit. Ok la, I better don’t say too much wait kenna dio banned again :(

Last edited:

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
The worst investment strategy is to buy in a smallish development with low transaction and at high quantum. Even a 2 bedder in newton can cause as high as near 3mil. If I got 3 mil to invest, I think I can fully paid off 2 RCR/OCR 2 bedder in a decent size project for both rental and cap gain.
Boutique development and smallish project has always been a red flag as they are known to be difficult to exit. Ok la, I better don’t say too much wait kenna dio banned again :(
But why small development not popular? What I understand they usually develop by those small developers also

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.