Which Hard Drives Brand do you go for?

Which Hard Drives Brand do you go for?

• Total voters

xiangzeng

Reaction score
Yes, Seagate HDD sucks your money and gives you nuts. I use WDD for all hard drives and Samsung SDD for the OS.

xiangzeng

Reaction score
I tried cloning software recommended by SPH digitalife. I couldn't totally clone all the details into the sdd because the Onedrive keeps on prompting me error messages. I have to buy a new set of Windows 8.1 Home OS and load in fresh into the sdd. Heng, the WIndows 10 home version was on offer. Grabbed it into the system and runs well till today.
The OS is very smart in detecting the minute differences between resident drives. I will never clone because it caused me to be alone in the wild.

Etech80

Reaction score
I vote Hitachi Hard Drive.

Even though WD brought Hitachi few years ago, their quality is still good and reliable.

I have a certain standard knowledge and skills in Computer hardware and messing around those hardware before the Datamini 386DX era, hence my close groups of friends often approach me if their Desktop or laptop got problem.

For hardware failure due to hard disk related, often I came across Seagate harddisk, follow by Toshiba. Both on mechanical and electronic components.

Hitachi and WD seldom got this problem. Even though Seagate is the OEM disk platter provider for some brands.

benihikou

Reaction score
beside hard disk, choosing the right distro for buying hard disk is impt. I paid around 120$ a 2 tb toshiba Hdd, drive can be detected, but cannot boot so i send to eternal asia for warranty. There was cosmetic damage on thing above sata/hdd connector so they said cannot rma and they asked me to call Toshiba directly to appeal. I asked what number to call they just said go to toshiba site and look for rma :s22:

So i go google Toshiba RMA. One line say they only handle laptop, another show only handle tv, end up i cant even find which place to contact for appeal :s22:

Convergent, CDL will prob just 1 to 1 exchange and even ban leong will at least bother to send your item to appeal. And yet this eternal asia just ask you to appeal yourself and dont even bother to give you a direct line or email to handle your case. Just do yourself a favor and buy your HDD from amazon. Very likely a lot cheaper during black friday and best of all, wd rma is at cathay. I rma once, straightaway one to one exchange, no issue. Somemore rma is cathay, not like ulu tai seng in eternal asia :s13: . Even if wd dont honor your hdd rma cos of cosmetic damage at least you save money buying from amazon :)

Last edited:

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interested to know if there are toshiba users here. I'm interested in getting a 2tb drive. So far I have a Toshiba 5tb in use for 1 year already with no issues, but would like to see a larger sample size for opinions.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Naluto

Reaction score
I voted for Samsung.
Had a Spinpoint F1 in my PC from 2008 on and it worked fine until 2015, when it began to produce more and more errors.

Overall I was quiet satisfied with it, CrystalDiskInfo showed 21384 operating hours with 3608 boots when I finally unplugged it.

Then I bought a 512GB SSD and don't use HDDs anymore since the SSD offers enough capacity for me. :)

ArticFrozen

Reaction score
According to blackblaze reliability stats, HGST has best reliability.

I had two WD drives fail on me now due to PCB burnt. One green, and one black. Not touching their brand again.

Pocoyoz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think my 8 character with WD no good

i have tried their blue and green, all failed within 1 year

i'm still using a hitachi drive from 2007, almost 10 years, amazing.

have been sticking with hitachis ever since

i also have the odd samsung f1 and seagate

no prizes in guessing which 2 HDDs falls under "Caution" :o

MgJkKo8.png

y temp so high 52C:eek:

Reaction score
hi.......what about Solid State Drives ?

are they far far far more durable and reliable compared to the normal HDD ?:s11:

should be, right ?............no moving parts..........can last like almost forever ?:s11:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
hi.......what about Solid State Drives ?

are they far far far more durable and reliable compared to the normal HDD ?:s11:

should be, right ?............no moving parts..........can last like almost forever ?:s11:
SSD has limited write cycles. Most warranty will cover for certain amount of data written and year used (like a car warranty) HDD will mostly be rated for mean time between failures( the extimated length of time a HDD can be used). Not really any correlation between data written to it and failure rate. SSD are more tolerant to physical damages. Both formats will eventually fail so backup your data to different places

Reaction score
SSD has limited write cycles. Most warranty will cover for certain amount of data written and year used (like a car warranty) HDD will mostly be rated for mean time between failures( the extimated length of time a HDD can be used). Not really any correlation between data written to it and failure rate. SSD are more tolerant to physical damages. Both formats will eventually fail so backup your data to different places

roger.............thanks a lot

so that means those storage on cellphones also can go kaput ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.