Which Linux for Noobs?

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
So this is year 2016.

May I know which Linux distribution is the most used in enterprise production servers and data centres? RHEL or Ubuntu?

Many startups and developers seem to favour Ubuntu for web development based on programming books. But the feeling I get is RHEL is still the one widely deployed for enterprise and government.

Should a Linux application be developed and tested on RHEL or Ubuntu Server?

Can anyone tell me?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So this is year 2016.

May I know which Linux distribution is the most used in enterprise production servers and data centres? RHEL or Ubuntu?

Many startups and developers seem to favour Ubuntu for web development based on programming books. But the feeling I get is RHEL is still the one widely deployed for enterprise and government.

Can anyone tell me?

I think it is probably hard to know it unless you are managing the data centre. But it seems all these years, Redhat seems to be still the go-to distro when it comes to branding, enterprising partners and compatibility for products to run on. In other countries, I'm not sure, but in Singapore, it seems to be still RHEL as the de-facto distro.

I think startup are in favour of Ubuntu is not because it is vastly better, but because of cost. RHEL is not free, though one of its most popular binary compatible distro known as CentOS is. Generally Ubuntu is more up-to-date with the packages that are found in their repository. RHEL take a more prudent approach having their customer groups are more enterprising and stability is more important than new features.

All applications should be tested on the selected platform to be run on, not whether it is RHEL or Ubuntu or SuSE, or any other distro. Unless your product is meant for all or most platform delivery, then you should test across most or all. So it has to dependent on your business model and your support coverage.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry for thread jacking.

I have a 7 year old AMD Athon XP running windows xp. I used to install dual boot Caldera Open Linux. Gave up because the drivers were lacking back then. Do I fare a better chance now with Ubuntu ?

Thanks in advance.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry for thread jacking.

I have a 7 year old AMD Athon XP running windows xp. I used to install dual boot Caldera Open Linux. Gave up because the drivers were lacking back then. Do I fare a better chance now with Ubuntu ?

Thanks in advance.

You should give it a spin if your hardware are pretty mainstream e.g. Intel/AMD processor, Realtek sound/network card. Normal SATA HDD and SSD should work with generic drivers.

Only worry is those add-on peripherals and cards like TV tuners, printers, wifi adapters which are less common and thus may not have a driver for Linux.

Much has changed in Linux in the last 10 years, and even the setup is as friendly as Windows. Give Ubuntu/Linux Mint a try. These are the user friendly distros.

You can always try it before installing it. There is a Try Ubuntu option in Ubuntu installer disc. Similarly Linux Mint can start without installing to HDD too.

it_photo_208108.jpg

If Ubuntu is too slow/heavy for you, Linux Mint may be lighter.

Last edited:

galapogos

Reaction score
So this is year 2016.

Can anyone tell me?

I'd say RHEL/CentOS, in my albeit limited experience. Many enterprise users want the support that they get from paying RHEL. CentOS is used by users with shallower pockets who want more assurance that they are still compatible with RHEL.

sobriety

Reaction score
recommend MX-linux for beginner! Even my sec 1 niece use it, though installation is done for her on a 7 years old laptop.

Reason for recommendation cause it is light and fast, similar to ubuntu which is debian based, though I ran other distro.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
somewhat related : now even linux newbies can game via Edge/Chrome browser in linux with XCloud cloud gaming service!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.