Who waiting for Intel Alder Lake? (12900K is 39% faster than 5950X)

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
power lah intel! :o
price is around US$600 vs amd US$799

https://www.techspot.com/news/91341-intel-core-i9-12900k-beats-ryzen-9-5950x.html
88u0sJx.jpg

Last edited:

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
So powerful :D

I am thinking if need to buy new motherboard likely z690 only can compete at this performance level sort of make me think it is more expensive than 5950x :unsure:

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5950x not just mulit-core beast, but usually is ryzen cpu with the best boost clocks. so mean intel eat amd single and multi-cores liao.

even zen3 with v-cache, at most 15% better than zen3. :o

buying intel shares nao!

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So powerful :D

I am thinking if need to buy new motherboard likely z690 only can compete at this performance level sort of make me think it is more expensive than 5950x :unsure:

good that you hodl out with zen2, now can hoot alder lake for big uplift :o

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You should not consider the price of the CPU in silo in my opinion. While the chip seems cheaper than a 5950X, you will need an expensive motherboard to drive the i7 and i9 to its full potential. Plus, you may need to factor in a new PSU because I recall Intel may be using the newer ATX12VO standard as oppose to the 24 pin motherboard connector. I don't believe all the boards will utilise the new connector, but I am not sure if Intel will enforce it hard.

As for performance, I do expect Alder Lake to bring a good performance bump to the table. However, I would recommend to take this result with a pinch of salt. The release is not too far, so best to wait for official reviews. The result is too optimistic in my opinion and it may not be representative of various workload.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Isn't it ironic. Ass of Singularity is used often by AMD to showcase multicore performance during earlier Zen. Now Intel using it to show multicore efficiency which becomes key in TDP-limited scenarios.

In both cases we all know this means nothing since nobody plays that game anyway or actually uses Cinema 4D irl.

Question is did Alder Lake use 200W to achieve that performance lol.

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Isn't it ironic. Ass of Singularity is used often by AMD to showcase multicore performance during earlier Zen. Now Intel using it to show multicore efficiency which becomes key in TDP-limited scenarios.

In both cases we all know this means nothing since nobody plays that game anyway or actually uses Cinema 4D irl.

Question is did Alder Lake use 200W to achieve that performance lol.

haha cinema4d easy 30K for intel?
5950x had to use pbo and aircon room to reach 30K, around 220W :o

2WBxUyc.jpg

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha cinema4d easy 30K for intel?
5950x had to use pbo and aircon room to reach 30K, around 220W :o

2WBxUyc.jpg
Is the 5950X overclocked? I would have thought the default power limit is around 142W. You need some serious cooling for 220W because that's still quite a lot of heat for the chiplet to dissipate.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fanboys have benefits meh? No point pledging your loyalty to any company, be it AMD or Intel. Whichever offers the best value CPU without causing a meltdown in my system will be my choice of CPU. But looking forward, future CPUs looks to be very power hungry.

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the 5950X overclocked? I would have thought the default power limit is around 142W. You need some serious cooling for 220W because that's still quite a lot of heat for the chiplet to dissipate.

yah have to use pbo settings so not stock. some other bros here chip better binned, easier to hit 30k. i believe should also read >200w on ppt readings. :o

Psychedelic Senses

Master Member
Reaction score
Me. Have been waiting for intel to show hand against AMD for a while now since their failure of 11th gen CPUs. I'm guessing the 12th gen is releasing in November?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.