worth to buy old FH condo??

ThinkCarefully

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for my own stay, I bought a old FH unit (>15 years)…coz I really love the layout, the big size unit, the views and the low psf…also coz the condo is well maintained…and I cross my fingers for NO en-bloc, because this is meant for own stay, and I want to reno it nicely and enjoy staying inside for years to come

for investment, I bought new launches though….FH or LH not impt for investment reasons

###

You seem to buck the trend.

most people buy new for own stay, some even die die must buy new 😂

###

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought my current FH for own stay about 6 years ago when property is slightly over 20 years old.

Property is now closed to 26 years old. Though maint fee has been slightly higher, but has been enjoying the lower psf & pretty huge space.

page||

Reaction score
i bought resale condos for own stay..

dont need brand new.. more importantly is need established amenties nearby within walking distance..

and transportation nodes ..

SheepOink

Reaction score
###

You seem to buck the trend.

most people buy new for own stay, some even die die must buy new 😂

###
Lol…if buying for own stay, is really all up to individual preferences and needs…there shouldn’t be any trend to follow….is the same as what food we choose to eat everyday, the choices are not determine by trends, although it can be influence by trends…

but new units are more popular coz one usually spend less in term of reno…for my old unit, I factored in quite a big budget for reno, esp rewiring the electricity. But the low psf of the unit offset all the reno costs, and the unit now is already sitting on paper profit

and I still pray for NO en-bloc…is a place I want to stay and enjoy life :D

Last edited:

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Why is old condo a concern? Old HDB still there,FH condo should be ok mah

The_Davis

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Lol…if buying for own stay, is really all up to individual preferences and needs…there shouldn’t be any trend to follow….is the same as what food we choose to eat everyday, the choices are not determine by trends, although it can be influence by trends…

but new units are more popular coz one usually spend less in term of reno…for my old unit, I factored in quite a big budget for reno, esp rewiring the electricity. But the low psf of the unit offset all the reno costs, and the unit now is already sitting on paper profit

and I still pray for NO en-bloc…is a place I want to stay and enjoy life :D
If 15 years later someone offer you 50% more. Will you bite the bullet?

SheepOink

Reaction score
If 15 years later someone offer you 50% more. Will you bite the bullet?
IDK….lol

15 years is so long….who know what happen then….

I know next 5 years, if someone offer double the price, I will not sell, assuming all my current conditions remain the same :LOL:…unless there are drastic changes to my life

petetherock

Reaction score
Why is old condo a concern? Old HDB still there,FH condo should be ok mah
Precisely, there are so many folks in SG who are staying in old HDB units.
Look at the popularity of the Marine Parade >35 yr old examples...

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Of course don’t say those old geylang units where people use it for freelancing la. The usual old condos are ok la

SheepOink

Reaction score
Old condos got diff….coz condo maintenance depend largely on the management offices…some old condos are really in very bad shapes…

unlike old HDBs, where the surroundings are maintained by town councils….so old HDBs exterior and surroundings will still be quite ok….

Mokette

Reaction score
Old condos got diff….coz condo maintenance depend largely on the management offices…some old condos are really in very bad shapes…

unlike old HDBs, where the surroundings are maintained by town councils….so old HDBs exterior and surroundings will still be quite ok….
How about those in D5, pasir Panjang area? Typically 100 units and below...year 2000-2010 FH type.
I really like that area man...

SheepOink

Reaction score
How about those in D5, pasir Panjang area? Typically 100 units and below...year 2000-2010 FH type.
U got to view them physically to see how well the condos are maintained….check the common facilities, walk around and see for yourself, to determine ok or not…

petetherock

Reaction score
Bear in mind that less units also means your contribution to the sinking fund can be pretty high ..

BernardWYF

Banned
Reaction score
Of course don’t say those old geylang units where people use it for freelancing la. The usual old condos are ok la

Geylang freeholds should be a very good investment. The URA has mentioned the red light industry will be relocated to Changi "soon". So FH will sure become gem.

petetherock

Reaction score
Geylang freeholds should be a very good investment. The URA has mentioned the red light industry will be relocated to Changi "soon". So FH will sure become gem.
Honestly, I rather they relocate it next to the Kranji racetracks... locate all the vices in one spot, and the land value there isn't great anyways... Changi is a potential growth area..

whampoa

Reaction score
for my own stay, I bought a old FH unit (>15 years)…coz I really love the layout, the big size unit, the views and the low psf…also coz the condo is well maintained…and I cross my fingers for NO en-bloc, because this is meant for own stay, and I want to reno it nicely and enjoy staying inside for years to come

for investment, I bought new launches though….FH or LH not impt for investment reasons
Can share which condo you are staying as looking to retire and enjoy staying in good neigbour
thanks

SheepOink

Reaction score
Can share which condo you are staying as looking to retire and enjoy staying in good neigbour
thanks
Cannot lah…privacy…lol…

but I like your point on good neighbour…when I bought this unit, I was blessed with friendly good neighbours…..and I realised most people staying in my condo are owners and locals, some have been staying here since day 1….very few rental tenants

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got an old >20 yr fh apartment for own stay. More living space, short <=5 min walk to mrt , taxi, bus, very near kopitiams, ntuc ... better than the two prev then newer condo dev that I stayed.

But in the end horses for courses.

nadasurf

Reaction score
I like the older condos along Wilkie area. I know many have mentioned it’s a vice area but the units at the ones I visited were very spacious and the area is nice and quiet. With many amenities around :)

RikkoAnne

Reaction score

May I know which FH you bot pls?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.