Xiaomi Android TV Box discussion II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.morcielago

Reaction score
AML Customization tool

Not so sure if anyone here will use this tool.
You will probably get better luck in forums like XDA or Freaktab.

You are right
I want to make an image fir my device .and i don't know many information about that

reyorz

Reaction score
Hi experts,

Say if i have a VPN installed - will i be able to access Netflix without the country restrictions?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://s.lazada.sg/s.71ea
11.11 flash sell for Mi Box S at S$70. Ending in two hours.

It also has S$3 voucher. I just placed order myself even though I do not really need another box, in fact this is my first Lazada order (usually using Taobao) and I got another S$6 voucher as new user.

Last edited:

BiggieZee

Reaction score
Need help with flash drive stuff for mibox s. How to make it not read only? I try format on pc den plug on mibox. It says the device is safely ejected. Reboot/restart mibox still same issue. Reason use flash drive is to store rom games for retroarch

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

kaya14

Reaction score
Any recommendations for apps for mibox? Apart from Netflix and tvb anywhere hahaha.

Is disney+ available yet?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4X using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for apps for mibox? Apart from Netflix and tvb anywhere hahaha.

I believe Disney+ is not available yet here in Singapore.

As for apps it all depends on what you need.

For TV streaming apps, you can refer to the comparison here.
https://blog.moneysmart.sg/entertainment/video-streaming-netflix-subscription-fees/

For Chinese Entertainment, you can refer to the following thread as a start, but you get much more options than iOS because of Mi Box S' Android TV OS.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

Elon Jobs

Reaction score

1LsZKkf.jpg

:sad:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just some of my own findings about the common entertainment apps for Mi Box S. I got it through 11.11 Lazada sales for only S$61.

Take note built-in Chromecast function is very useful.

Take note you can install apk extractor to extract apks from your Android phone.

SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast work either from the box or casting from phone.

YouTube: you can link phone app to TV through Mi Box S.

Starhub Go: extract the app from phone, can install but immediately exit. Cast from phone works fine (recommended method)

Toggle: extract the app from phone, can install and it actually works despite a warning. But seems to have problems exiting the app. Casting from phone works fine (recommended method).

TVB Anywhere+, available in the store, not able to test as it is only for paid user.

WeTV international version from Tencent: can be installed on the box, available from the Play Store on Mi Box S. Casting from phone works too. Ads are much less than the China version. Contents are also less.

iQiyi international version, no casting option from phone. Extracted apk can be installed but screen orientation is not correct so give up. Tried the set orientation app but does not like it and uninstalled it.

MGTV (Mango TV international version), extracted apk can not be installed. Casting from phone works.

Youku TV, casting using DLNA cast works (install airscreen on Mi Box. You can also install the TV version 酷喵影视. Once you pay for the VIP, you can access most of the contents without using VPN.

Live TV button can be activated by installing Haystack TV app from the Play Store.

Many English news apps are available from Play Store, like CNA, DW, French 24, RT, etc.

For Chinese Entertainment, I have posted a thread here. Most of the apps should work under Mi Box S as well. And Mi Box S will have more such apps than iOS.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

Last edited:

rerear

Reaction score
Tried connecting to Surfshark but unable to connect to internet after doing so. Looks like Mibox issue rather than Surfshark side server issue. Does VPN work on Mibox?

bodohboy

Reaction score
Tried connecting to Surfshark but unable to connect to internet after doing so. Looks like Mibox issue rather than Surfshark side server issue. Does VPN work on Mibox?

Yes they do. I have tried both Windscribe and ExpressVPN on my Mi Box S and they both work well with their respective apps.

kkcheng77

Reaction score
I started using digital the one Gov give on my old, non digital TV. Now spoil, think drop and hit the floor too hard.

So its either spend $$$ get a digital TV or $ on a new TV box.
Question? Can TV box play local channels?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

kkcheng77

Reaction score
Oh. You mean there is TV box that runs with DVB-T2? I also have an old box(WDTV live) can run YouTube. Was thinking getting a box that serve 2 functions.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh. You mean there is TV box that runs with DVB-T2? I also have an old box(WDTV live) can run YouTube. Was thinking getting a box that serve 2 functions.

Yes there are hybrid Android TV boxes with built-in TV tuners, but they are expensive, better buy separate.

Read my summary here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...show-2019-394/android-tv-box-5678618-167.html

The cheap DVB TT Tuner box is only for local over the air digital TV, not for apps. You can buy one Mi Box S and one Tuner box, cheaper than the hybrid box.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys,
Been using a Fire TV Stick for a couple of months. Installed Apple TV+. But error message says "not supported in my region".
How to overcome this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.