Xiaomi Android TV Box discussion III [consolidated]

Philippng

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
I tried to install apk. But seems like the default android 4.4 version is too old and its not able to install. Tried 3 apps but only 1 apps able to install. The other apk totally cannot and gimme error msg when tried to install.. ☹

Thats why thinking of reading up and upgrade the android OS to higher version. No need latest or very high.... just android 5 or 6 will do. Cause my samsung S4 using android 5.1 can use all the apps which i am using now with samsung note8.
ok, if you are thinking to flash the firmware, i suggest the following
first, gather all the information of you cpu build and check mibox offcial website for support firmware
second, search from google how to flash firmware and what pit fall you need to look out.
Lastly, be prepared to send your box to the junkyard or see if there any backdoor if it fail such as hard button eject or push audio button with other button to factory reset

Philippng

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
I tried to install apk. But seems like the default android 4.4 version is too old and its not able to install. Tried 3 apps but only 1 apps able to install. The other apk totally cannot and gimme error msg when tried to install.. ☹

Thats why thinking of reading up and upgrade the android OS to higher version. No need latest or very high.... just android 5 or 6 will do. Cause my samsung S4 using android 5.1 can use all the apps which i am using now with samsung note8.
we
I have an old mibox. MDZ-09-AA.
Any link to teach and download google OS such that i can self upgrade to newer android maybe android 5 and above.
Check this out, hope it help

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check this out, hope it help

wrong advice and wrong model.

eugene's box is a very old model. Low in RAM and internal storage. Slow CPU.

not advisable to upgrade firmware.

best is to leave it at andorid 4.4. there are still many good apps that work on android 4.4

if eugene doesn't know where to find good apps, the easiest way is to spend $20+ to get a new box with much better CPU/chipset, 2GB/8GB RAM/ROM and higher android version.

BlueRobin

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have just bought a Mi Box S 4K yesterday. I've setup the device and is able to stream from local apps such as MeWatch, Starhub TV+ and Singtel Cast. These are the main use of why I bought the unit.

I've tested the wifi speed and it is around 220Mbps download and 200Mbps upload.

As I am a first time user of Android device (of any kind, all my life I live in Apple garden), so I am looking for some tips on how to keep it running in tip-top condition.

The following are what I gathered from the About screen.

Version - 9
Android security patch level - July 2021
Kernel Version - 4.9.113

I tried plug in an existing USB ethernet adapter but it was not detected, perhaps my adapter is too old.

I understand using wired connection is better, what sort of USB adapter is usable? The spec sheet said the USB A port is only version 2.0.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have just bought a Mi Box S 4K yesterday. I've setup the device and is able to stream from local apps such as MeWatch, Starhub TV+ and Singtel Cast. These are the main use of why I bought the unit.

I've tested the wifi speed and it is around 220Mbps download and 200Mbps upload.

As I am a first time user of Android device (of any kind, all my life I live in Apple garden), so I am looking for some tips on how to keep it running in tip-top condition.

The following are what I gathered from the About screen.

Version - 9
Android security patch level - July 2021
Kernel Version - 4.9.113

I tried plug in an existing USB ethernet adapter but it was not detected, perhaps my adapter is too old.

I understand using wired connection is better, what sort of USB adapter is usable? The spec sheet said the USB A port is only version 2.0.

mibox s has very good wifi, most likely you will get lower speed if using ethernet adaptor.

by the way, you need less than 15 Mbps for the apps you installed.

if using netflix, disney+, or youtube at 4K, you need only 30 Mbps.

so 200 Mbps is more than enough.

There is a simple way to keep it in tip-top condition : do not install many apps, and do not download movies file.

BlueRobin

Reaction score
Thanks Gregory!

In that case, I shall just leave it as it is, no need to spend extra for the ethernet adapter.

I have also uninstalled many of the apps that I do not need from the box.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.