XiaoMi Tri-Band Mi AX9000 Gaming Wi-Fi Router with WiFi 6

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Indeed for most users. Xiaomi AX6000 or AX3600 may already be sufficient.

But for those who need wireless mesh, two units of Xiaomi AX9000 may be a good alternative to Asus Zenwifi XT8 or Netgear Orbi RBK852. And the price is much cheaper.

Good for SingTel ONR users as well.
i just bought ax6000 tho......so not worth to get ax9000 for $200++?

SPEED

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone getting it? Possible to buy from jd.com or taobao and ship it via ezbuy?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.acwifi.net/13681.htmlACwifi teardown and analysis of AX9000 Hardware.

Hardware is top notch but apparently the FW needs work. For example it has poor USB write speed which makes it not that good for simple file sharing purpose.

As an AP, its performance may be slightly lower than Xiaomi AX6000 as per the article for any of the two 5GHz bands.

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.acwifi.net/13681.htmlACwifi teardown and analysis of AX9000 Hardware.

Hardware is top notch but apparently the FW needs work. For example it has poor USB write speed which makes it not that good for simple file sharing purpose.

As an AP, its performance may be slightly lower than Xiaomi AX6000 as per the article for any of the two 5GHz bands.
is it unsafe if i use it as router?
look premium :p

O1CN01v8WSan1TISzSpZgky_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg
O1CN01AjEEnS1X6KxoHfTW8_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As in this? :unsure:

???

i am not expert in this. I only know router is like our main door....once hacker able to access, it can access to all the home devices. Then someone mention it feed back data to xiaomi without user consent.

hwzlite

Reaction score
???

i am not expert in this. I only know router is like our main door....once hacker able to access, it can access to all the home devices. Then someone mention it feed back data to xiaomi without user consent.

Most routers kanna hacked mainly due to insecure default configuration, which easily exploited by malwares such as Mirai Botnet.

Typically many devices and software today "phone home" like sending telemetry (eg. like Win10) and other data back (eg, checking firmware update ) .... etc to the vendors.

I can understand your fears but does that "someone" actually provides any proof that the device sending "sensitive" data?

If really paranoid , can always flash to vetted opensource firmware provided by OpenWRT or dd-wrt if the router supports it. ;)

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most routers kanna hacked mainly due to insecure default configuration, which easily exploited by malwares such as Mirai Botnet.

Typically many devices and software today "phone home" like sending telemetry (eg. like Win10) and other data back (eg, checking firmware update ) .... etc to the vendors.

I can understand your fears but does that "someone" actually provides any proof that the device sending "sensitive" data?

If really paranoid , can always flash to vetted opensource firmware provided by OpenWRT or dd-wrt if the router supports it. ;)
if i know about these, i won't even be asking that question in the first place. Before u type, u need to know whether the person understand anot.... not every1 is as technical as u.

i ask xiaofan cause he is helpful and been following this product. if u think my question is stupid, u can just ignore.

buy 1 router , still need to csi "someone" credibility......lol :eek:

paranoid? wait till u see my friend..... all his passwords are complicated,lengthy and unique. :ROFLMAO:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it unsafe if i use it as router?
look premium :p

I do not know whether the worry of Xiaomi routers phone home feature is really that serious or not. If you are worried, then do not buy this one. I believe you can simply block them by using things like Pi-hole. Using it as an AP should also help.

Xiaomi AX3600 is better since you can actually gain SSH access and even strip the extra Xiaomi phone home stuff off.
Ref: https://github.com/geekman/xqrepack

I was mainly saying the FW features are pretty plain and needs work, not matching the top notch HW specification. So it is better to run Xiaomi routers as an AP if you are a power user and need features like those Asus routers. But for many users, the features may already be sufficient.

I will wait for the SSH access before I am going to buy Xiaomi AX9000. And with AX9000 out, I will no longer look into Xiaomi AX6000 myself.

GlassDoor

Reaction score
safe is a relative term. i clearly remembered one bro even thinks that enabling SSH is not safe.
but i do feel uncomfortable that despite disabling the ability of the unit to resolve host name it still sends data out to fixed ips worries me. so I use as AP with gateway ip disabled!

just curious @xiaofan . you mean you have neither ax3600 or ax6000 or ax9000?
So you are just rehashing what you read? and not personal experience?

hwzlite

Reaction score
Fyi, interesting recent Reddit threads on "How much does a Chinese router phone home?" :s22: :

What would be the possibilities?

I've seen some nice routers from Xiaomi but I also see comments about them where users state they've seen the routers send a lot of data to China. I've asked in r/Xiaomi about who as actual proof/examples about this but no reply. I am starting to think its mostly suspicion and fear. Now I also have these too but I am looking for verification.

What would be the possible threats? Would they send all my DNS queries to their own servers? Check browser history, inject advertisements? I've seen all these fears in the comments but what do you all think?

I am looking at the Xiaomi AX3600 and AX6000 specifically.

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not know whether the worry of Xiaomi routers phone home feature is really that serious or not. If you are worried, then do not buy this one. I believe you can simply block them by using things like Pi-hole. Using it as an AP should also help.

Xiaomi AX3600 is better since you can actually gain SSH access and even strip the extra Xiaomi phone home stuff off.
Ref: https://github.com/geekman/xqrepack

I was mainly saying the FW features are pretty plain and needs work, not matching the top notch HW specification. So it is better to run Xiaomi routers as an AP if you are a power user and need features like those Asus routers. But for many users, the features may already be sufficient.

I will wait for the SSH access before I am going to buy Xiaomi AX9000. And with AX9000 out, I will no longer look into Xiaomi AX6000 myself.
thanks for the reply.
ax3600 - $100
ax6000 - $150
ax9000 - $250

i think ax3600 is enough for ap.....general users

if i want to look for router that can provide strong signal penetrate through 1 wall, which specs do i know at? numbers of antenna? or others?

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Will having 2 of this AX9000 mesh setup wirelessly beats Asus AX-11000 or AX-88U? Seems like a beast for the price

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.
ax3600 - $100
ax6000 - $150
ax9000 - $250

i think ax3600 is enough for ap.....general users

if i want to look for router that can provide strong signal penetrate through 1 wall, which specs do i know at? numbers of antenna? or others?

It all depends on individual cases.

Relevant factors are router TX power, number of antenna, placement of the router, client devices, etc.

Even if the router is powerful enough, often the limiting factor is the client device.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just curious @xiaofan . you mean you have neither ax3600 or ax6000 or ax9000?
So you are just rehashing what you read? and not personal experience?

In terms of Xiaomi routers, indeed I do not have first hand experiences. I was comparing Xiaomi AX3600 vs Asus RT-AX82U last year and in the end I decided to buy Asus RT-AX82U.

I do read a lot of things about routers in general, especially HW specifications. And I have quite some routers myself, from pfSense Intel x64 based router to Asus, Linksys, TP-Link and Huawei routers.

alvino

Reaction score
just got mine yesterday like weaker wifi 5g signal than my ax3600(already on higher band and 160mhz band) placed on the same spot for fair testing.

wifi6(ax200 network wifi card) did only 500+mbps on one of my PC 2 meters away. used to be doing ~900mbps/s

Else on my ip12p and ipadpro its doing 930mbps down.

I loaded 6 x ubuntu torrents and it peaks at 120MB/s almost max out my singtel line 1gbps. else its clocking avg 80MB/s min.... much better than my ax3600 at avg of 70+MB/s and 100MB/s peak. i know torrent test also highly dependent on the pool of seeders/peers im connnected to, i ran the torrent tests like over 10 rounds on each router and observing the avg and peaks. The above is a relatively consistent ball park figures if anyone is interested about this segment of performance.

Don't know its psychological or not, youtube 4k60fps(using auto 4k extension) click and loads immediately, no signs of spinning wheel! shiokz. Previously on ax3600 has a 0.5s mild pause on click and load!

Anyone manage to turn off the RGB green LED on top? jin glaring!

Last edited:

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
just got mine yesterday like weaker wifi 5g signal than my ax3600(already on higher band and 160mhz band) placed on the same spot for fair testing.

wifi6(ax200 network wifi card) did only 500+mbps on one of my PC 2 meters away. used to be doing ~900mbps/s

Else on my ip12p and ipadpro its doing 930mbps down.

I loaded 6 x ubuntu torrents and it peaks at 120MB/s almost max out my singtel line 1gbps. else its clocking avg 80MB/s min.... much better than my ax3600 at avg of 70+MB/s and 100MB/s peak. i know torrent test also highly dependent on the pool of seeders/peers im connnected to, i ran the torrent tests like over 10 rounds on each router and observing the avg and peaks. The above is a relatively consistent ball park figures if anyone is interested about this segment of performance.

Don't know its psychological or not, youtube 4k60fps(using auto 4k extension) click and loads immediately, no signs of spinning wheel! shiokz. Previously on ax3600 has a 0.5s mild pause on click and load!

Anyone manage to turn off the RGB green LED on top? jin glaring!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.