HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone been to Myanmar?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #46

Vesak Day is a major holiday in Myanmar. Lots of natives are likely to be on the roads and in the temples, I reckon. Will you be able to get a driver and will businesses close? You better check.
yeah, i think that's quite likely the case since the Burmese are deeply religious and will almost certainly observe and celebrate Vesak Day.

Inter-city travel is probably fine if you fly (few burmese can afford a plane ticket). But if you intend to travel by shared taxis (which is common for trips under 1-2 hours), you might have a problem.
butterbarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #47

Perhaps i shld just give Laos a miss, since it is just a side track of my trip. I will focus on Myanmar then
Laos is just as interesting as Myanmar, and surprisingly, more well developed for the tourist (in terms of food, public transport and hotels), although their inter-city roads are also very bad.
Old 27-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #48

Guys, Myanmar is not an expensive place right?
cathyrobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #49
Master Member

the accomodations in Myanmar are quite exp, the last time i checked
Bak_Chor_Mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #50

Smile Who's interested to visit Myanmar at low rate

Dear All,

Interested to visit Myanmar the state of Yangon, Mandalay, be it for business or holiday. We are independent travel consultancy. We have contacts so make to facilitate your visit at ease.

The price will be much lower and comprehensive than conventional travel agency & business consultancy. Do contact me for further discussion.
Email Zarick, zedricktay@gmail.com
Weijia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #51
Supremacy Member

the accomodations in Myanmar are quite exp, the last time i checked
accom is higher than other SEA countries.. some say due to the licence conditions given out by the junta.
Old 29-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #52
Master Member

I think it's expensive because there is an explosion of tourists going there and the infrastructure just can't cope with it. Hence the hotel prices have doubled or sometimes even tripled in the last 2 years.

Also, there aren't that many restaurants (especially outside of Yangon) which are tourist friendly. Sure, it's not a problem going there to eat, but I found the food way too salty, and I was eating with one hand fanning the flies away. Ended up eating at the hotel every night (apart from Yangon where it's easy to get a cab out and there are decent restaurants around).

If you're thinking of shopping and buying local handicraft or gems, don't bother unless you have a reliable local contact who will go to the bat for you. Otherwise your name is Roberto. While I accept that as a tourist, you generally pay higher prices, I think it's objectionable beyond a certain level because it just becomes cheating / fraud. I saw an American tourist bargain a sarong from the original quote of USD25 to USD2.50. The prices quoted by the shops selling rubies (and other gems) are also just as ridiculous - if you want to pay that kind of price, just buy the gems in Singapore because it's probably cheaper and it will probably come with a reliable certificate.

In all, I get the feeling that because you are a tourist, the people try to call you Roberto. While it's inevitable especially when you're travelling around SEA, I feel its' even worse than places like Bangkok or Phuket. And that is probably the biggest put off for me.

In terms of sights, Bagan was very nice. The hot air balloon was fantastic and worth every penny even though it's not cheap - it felt very safe though cuz it's run by westerners with what appears to be western standards of safety. I would highly recommend that.
jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #53

ISSUU - Sports + Travel Singapore by Sports+Travel Singapore
ISSUU - Sports+Travel Singapore Issue 51 by Sports+Travel Singapore
bugmenot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #54
High Supremacy Member

I did a trip with a friend last Sept-Oct. In 10 days this was what we did.

Yangon-train-Mandalay-private taxi-Hsipaw-truck-Namshan-truck-Hsipaw-bus-Mandalay-Bus-Yangon.

Cannot agree more that Myanmar is rather un-spoiled due to the hilly terrains, but the opening up has exploded not because of US lifting their sanctions against them, it is more like China is opening them up to gain their petroleum and Natural gas for the use in China. So you will see pipelines laid thru the fields by the CPC. Huge and massive projects and really cutting thru padis and mountains.

Inland transportation can be arranged with locals, but then please prepare plenty of crisp US dollars for payment. Avoid those with pen inks drawn on them. The locals do not accept them. Then you will be left with like nothing to pay them for your trip.

My pic taken from Namshan, shan state.

Another of the shwedagon paya in Yangon taken after a dinner with a friend.
jaslyncealim likes this.
calkel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #55

please prepare plenty of crisp US dollars for payment. Avoid those with pen inks drawn on them. The locals do not accept them. Then you will be left with like nothing to pay them for your trip.
This is quite true. But in a pinch, notes with creases or ink marks can be acceptable at a discounted rate.

When I went 2 years ago, a clean, fresh US dollar bill was about 700kyats. If it had a crease, it became 600kyats. I suppose the dirtier the note, the lower the rate. Of course you lugi, but at least you can still get money.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #56

Hi all,

I just got back from 1-month travelling around mainland SEA - Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam.

Let me know if you have any queries about Myanmar. I didn't spend much time there, just 9 days. But I would answer your question if there any! (:
tempestuous- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #57
High Supremacy Member

This is quite true. But in a pinch, notes with creases or ink marks can be acceptable at a discounted rate.

When I went 2 years ago, a clean, fresh US dollar bill was about 700kyats. If it had a crease, it became 600kyats. I suppose the dirtier the note, the lower the rate. Of course you lugi, but at least you can still get money.
We did not have that problem. A friend that we made along the way was so troubled with it as he had was notes changed in China which was not so crispy.

Wanted to change some for him, but i think he was alright during the trip. Not so much of a worry. But do ask or accept only crispy note. The rest, please feel free to reject. Do not want to be caught out without money anywhere in Myanmar.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #58

I am going in Dec with a friend. About the visa application, I have made the online application but do both of us need to go in person to apply and collect?
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #59
High Supremacy Member

I am going in Dec with a friend. About the visa application, I have made the online application but do both of us need to go in person to apply and collect?
If not who are you going to get to collect for you? Actual fact you can get agency to do everything for you too.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #60

If not who are you going to get to collect for you? Actual fact you can get agency to do everything for you too.
Sorry I mean can one of us go and apply for both? Thx.
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.