HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #136

Of course the coupons are genuine. I saved hundreds from using them to save on the queenstown combos i bought.

Book online cant use coupons, you dont even have the coupons yet do you.

Advance booking for what? Accomodation or sightseeing/extreme activities or ?
spying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #137

i hope you are still hangin around the forum. will be going to new zealand in july too on a campervan trip for 13 nights. probably will follow your southern route till christchurch, but can share how many nights you spend at each place, or can anyone else share?

and drive from milford to mt cook, how long did that take, and are there road closures in the highlands from snow? thx
Hi Darthkool, i wanted to plan a road trip on a campervan as well, however, the company advised that a class 3 licence is not sufficient to drive the 6 berth campervan model. What was the type of campervan that you rented?

Thanks!
juderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #138
Arch-Supremacy Member

i hope you are still hangin around the forum. will be going to new zealand in july too on a campervan trip for 13 nights. probably will follow your southern route till christchurch, but can share how many nights you spend at each place, or can anyone else share?

and drive from milford to mt cook, how long did that take, and are there road closures in the highlands from snow? thx
Campervan is an excellent choice, if u r the late dinner sort, and max out daylight. I think 1 night per attraction stay is just nice for your 13 days.
Dun say i say, but just park next to beautiful scene, for dinner and sleep, (campsites usually see nothing), see its sunset and twilight. Wake up and goggle at the scenery in the morning..the feeling is like omfg!

For some good hiking/exploration, peace and tranquil will be better. NZ is super tourist/driver friendly, u dun need to look at map. Dun even use GPS, u will lose out on the views.

Road closures not so rampant, usually they will leave and direct one lane for 2-way..Milford to Mt Cook, technically 1 day can drive to, but will be a farking waste, A lot of beautiful attractions in between, whichever routes you take.

Be sure to wake up early and max out daylight. Hidden in Catlins NP on southwest tip are many gorgeous waterfalls..with nice walks.

Hi Darthkool, i wanted to plan a road trip on a campervan as well, however, the company advised that a class 3 licence is not sufficient to drive the 6 berth campervan model. What was the type of campervan that you rented?
Thanks!
Not true in Europe and OZ, even with 7-berth..which camper company u called?
But frankly, if u wanna save, more freedom, flexibility and space, go for 2 x 2-berths, if u hv 2 drivers.

The correct 2-berth model can sleep one more above driver's cabin.

1. The 6-7 berth rental and other costs, is 4x$$ more, than each 2-berth
    -
  2. The deposit of $5,000, after debit and re-credit takes out 5-6% from bank charge, exc. any curreny drops..another unnecessary $300. (2-berth is only $1,000)
    -
  3. The space to getting in/out, prepping dinner is 'excuse me, excuse me'. most 7-berths (trucks) hv only 1 cabin door. 2-berths (vans) hv 1 side door, 1 back door. Think abt it.
    -
  4. One can station and cook, another can explore, drive out for missing groceries, b4 coming back for dinner. Also in the case of emergencies or different interests in the same vincinity. Divide the tasks. Otherwise, all must do the same thing, at the same place all the time (more productive).
    -
  5. Driving or Parking side-by-side is fun. You can even have a canopy between both for the daytime outdoor picnic/naps, in case it drizzles or sorches. Picnics is best enjoyed open.
    -
  6. Reversing/U-turning (very often) easier on 2-berth vans, than truck. More stress driving Truck than Vans. Not worth.
    -
  7. Bathroom for 7-berth not enough water..low pressure, esp share with kitchen. Better to bath in rivers, waterfalls or campsites for a couple bucks. Ample, clean toilets in NZ in the most remotest places (must wee wee outside van in the dark of night, but thrilling)
    -
  8. shxt clearing psychogically not welcomed. though technically clean.
    -
  9. Sneak overnight parking in remote, scenic sites more difficult and noticeable.
    -
  10. Speed is slower, clumpsier fuel consumption is 2 x more than 2x vans. and def.
    -
  11. Noisier too. Plus greater height, more likely to reverse into branches. Scratches are more evitable, and thus return inspection more stringent, visible damages and $$ again.
    -
  12. some vans seat 3 in front, better view. Trucks seat 2 only, with a walkway in between, so view sucks for the people behind (only side view) is limited.
    -
  13. Moreover very bumpy at the back, not advisable for headache ppl.
    -
  14. i think I hv more points after both experiences in different places. But 6-7 berths cfm not worth.

But campers the way to go!!..post if u need the correct vans (2-berth) model.

Last edited by touchme; 06-07-2011 at 02:58 AM..
touchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #139
Greater Supremacy Member

hi guys, can share/pm me ur itinerary around NZ?

i may be going to wellington for student exchange during 1st half of nxt year so wanna plan/calculate how much i may need for recreational activities

most probably short trips over weekends or during study breaks etc.
mata_hippo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #140
High Supremacy Member

Leavin for christchurch right now. Hope I
am blessed with good weather! Will be taking a 4 berth van for 12 days
DarthKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #141

share pics..

[IMG][/IMG]

beautifulmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #142

Any advice for Auckland?
bluesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #143

To the people of Christchurch, may they have a better year ahead.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #144
Master Member

Hi all,

I am thinking of gg new zealand in early march this year. I think it will be autumn. Is it advisable to visit new zealand in autumn?

can anybody share their itinerary? Thank you.
Kurosaki @ Ichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #145

Hi all,

I am thinking of gg new zealand in early march this year. I think it will be autumn. Is it advisable to visit new zealand in autumn?

can anybody share their itinerary? Thank you.
Im going to NZ by airasia from 14 march - 31 march. The weather should be quite cooling in autumn. Im still planning my itinerary and will post it up once its done!
ahbui83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #146
Master Member

Im going to NZ by airasia from 14 march - 31 march. The weather should be quite cooling in autumn. Im still planning my itinerary and will post it up once its done!
hi, most likely i will be going in early march. Have u book ur air ticket? which island u visiting?

Please sic ur itinerary when it is done. thank you.
Kurosaki @ Ichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #147
High Supremacy Member

Use tripit to plan itinerary. I found it useful coordinating with my wife when planning.
genie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #148

I was there last year..right before the earthquake, on the morning past midnight, I drove to Cape Foulwind.
The wind was unbelievably very strong, one local was taking his dog for a walk told me , it was unusual for the wind to be this strong.

My brother, which was with me at the time, I believe he weighed up to 90 kg, couldn't walk straight and was slammed to our parked car due to the strong wind.

All the best for the people in NZ. Hope they can rebuild everything. It is a very nice and tranquil country to visit. (Though I was fined for speeding but that was totally my fault. They take very serious approach for those who speed)
r_balest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #149

Hi all ..I'm oso gg in apr..any accommodation to recommend n car rental ? Thanks all!!!
junichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #150

hi, most likely i will be going in early march. Have u book ur air ticket? which island u visiting?

Please sic ur itinerary when it is done. thank you.
I have booked my air tic. I will be focusing south island. yes yes.. still finalising my itinerary. will sic once done
ahbui83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.