HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #1651
Master Member

I did not want to stay at Christchurch upon landing around noon. Drove straight to the West Coast via Arthur's Pass. Reach Greymouth around 5 plus. Kind of risk it with a red eye flight. Christchurch is kind of depressing after the quake some years back.

Thanks for the info

I am doing counterclockwise too!
Old 07-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #1652
Great Supremacy Member

400+ should be the hike and not just the flight tour.
Flight last 30 mins at most if pilot good mood add 10 minutes. Hike is about few hours, hence the price difference.

Ah. I see the difference now. Thanks!

Is the hike recommended? I might take up just the flight only.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:29 AM   #1653
Great Supremacy Member

which car rental companies did you all go with in ur trips within the last 1-2 years?

the last time i rented a car in nz was 2012 things may have changed

ace, omega, jucy, apex and go rentals seem to be the cheaper ones compared to hertz, avis and thrifty...
Wants to know too!

Not sure who to go with.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #1654
Master Member

Not much difference.

Avis, Hertz, Europcar are 1st tier car rental companies meaning they have pickup and drop off counters at airport.

Jucy, Omega, Ace are off site ones, where you need to go outside airport to pickup or return the vehicle. But usually they are quite near.

I used Jucy most of the time whether for business or leisure. Think I paid $50 per day for Hyundai i30 for my drive round South Island.

Wants to know too!

Not sure who to go with.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #1655
Great Supremacy Member

Not much difference.

Avis, Hertz, Europcar are 1st tier car rental companies meaning they have pickup and drop off counters at airport.

Jucy, Omega, Ace are off site ones, where you need to go outside airport to pickup or return the vehicle. But usually they are quite near.

I used Jucy most of the time whether for business or leisure. Think I paid $50 per day for Hyundai i30 for my drive round South Island.

Ah. My return flight is in the early morning like 6+ am. It would be wiser to take those rental from airport right. So I can return directly there.

Do they have like easy transportation to airport that early at 4am?
Old 07-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #1656

just to add, typically the Tier 1 rental companies uses relatively newer cars while the Tier 2 companies tend to use the older cars bought from the T1 company or used cars imported from Japan etc. You may sometimes find some minor complains on trip advisor of experiencing car radio being tuned to Japanese station or having some Japanese wordings on the panels etc something like that
Satki General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #1657

just to add, typically the Tier 1 rental companies uses relatively newer cars while the Tier 2 companies tend to use the older cars bought from the T1 company or used cars imported from Japan etc. You may sometimes find some minor complains on trip advisor of experiencing car radio being tuned to Japanese station or having some Japanese wordings on the panels etc something like that
I won't be concerned about the radio. Most important to me is the car engine, brakes, lights and wiper are in good condition.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #1658
Arch-Supremacy Member

How is the in car gps there? Worth renting or shld just use hp google maps?
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #1659
Master Member

You would not need one for South Island really. It's just one straight road wherever you are heading for the day. That said, you should take screenshots of Google Maps around your destination.

Last edited by WWH123; 07-09-2017 at 01:55 PM..
WWH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #1660

Download google maps as offline so can use without need for internet connections.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #1661
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks wwh123 and sendtolee
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #1662
Supremacy Member

I rented from Apex. Car decent and service good.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #1663
Master Member

Ah. My return flight is in the early morning like 6+ am. It would be wiser to take those rental from airport right. So I can return directly there.

Do they have like easy transportation to airport that early at 4am?
Even with top tier rental companies, doubt there would be anyone at the counter. I had a Europcar once, parked at returns and drop the keys into a box.

Take photos of the fuel gauge and exterior of course in case of dispute.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #1664

I booked with Go Rentals, a second tier company but they offer cars of differing age so I booked one with less than a year at a higher price albeit still cheaper than a first tier company. Turned out they provided a brand new car. Lucky.
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #1665

Thanks wwh123 and sendtolee
You can also download Here and maps.me. These 2 apps can download maps onto your phone and then use offline mode. They also allow navigation and search. I prefer these 2 maps compared to google. Sometimes google can point me to the wrong place....heehee
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.