HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #1726
Greater Supremacy Member

I don't think this is true of Queenstown where it is hard to find free parking spaces. I had to park a bit away from the city centre along the lakeside and walk back to my hotel in town.
it depends where u stay also

i stayed at a backpackers in or very near town centre, jus park there and walk around...
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #1727

For those that are looking to do a campervan trip to South Island, some information for you guys!

https://themoreitravel.com/2017/08/2...d-for-nzd-900/

Last edited by lameasszz; 15-09-2017 at 03:02 PM..
lameasszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #1728

Am a newbie here and appreciate and look forward to advice on my upcoming trip in late Nov/early Dec.

Basically, I have three unresolved items in my itinerary:
1a. Where should I take my helicopter scenic ride from FJ glacier or Mt Cook side?
1b. Which company do you recommend? Should I pre-book?

A little background on this - Am going to be in both places in a rented SUV and have booked a Tasman Lake glacier boat trip from Hermitage.

2a. Which thermal reserve should I visit in Rotorua?

2b. I heard of Te Puia. Is that worth it or really touristy hype?

3a. Will be in Queenstown for 3N. I have pre-booked Milford Sound ex-Queenstown. Any other suggestions of thing to do in Queenstown?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Last edited by Spideroo; 15-09-2017 at 04:27 PM..
Spideroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #1729

Would also appreciate suggestions as to where to break journey between Picton and Christchurch?
Old 17-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #1730
Arch-Supremacy Member

Would also appreciate suggestions as to where to break journey between Picton and Christchurch?
i am planning my trip too, and my original intention was to go from auckland to wellington, then ferry to picton for south island. but i couldnt find anything tt i really wanted to visit between picton and christchurch. there was much that interest me between lake taupo and wellington as well. so end up i decided to just take domestic flight to christchurch instead, and save a few days
Old 17-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #1731

I broke my journey at Kaikoura to look at seals and went whale watching.
http://www.newzealand.com/sg/kaikoura/
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #1732

i am planning my trip too, and my original intention was to go from auckland to wellington, then ferry to picton for south island. but i couldnt find anything tt i really wanted to visit between picton and christchurch. there was much that interest me between lake taupo and wellington as well. so end up i decided to just take domestic flight to christchurch instead, and save a few days
See my response to spideroo.
Old 17-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #1733

Would love to do that but that because of the earthquake you can't do that. To go to Kaikoura, you need to go to CHC 1st!
Old 17-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #1734
Great Supremacy Member

Is there any place that no need to bother to go from end Nov onwards one ah? So I can avoid.

also, im not sure if it applies to nz. for nz, the petrol station is self-service one or got pple one?
payment at cashier or at the machine? use cc no issue right? does it requires to input PIN one?

Last edited by BlackCube; 17-09-2017 at 05:39 PM..
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #1735
Arch-Supremacy Member

See my response to spideroo.
Thanks! think u suggested it earlier on as well, when i was firming up my trip. In the end i decided to forgo the whale watching to save a few days and fly to Christchurch instead
evilerniex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #1736
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,

1. In Queenstown, if just want to experience snow and enjoy the views (not ski-ing), is The Remarkables Ski Area or Coronet Peak better? Or just forget about such a trip? Thanks.

2. Is it feasible to drive from Queenstown to Te Anau at night? Its either sleep at Queenstown then drive to Te Anau in the morning, or drive at night then sleep at Te Anau. Thanks.
winguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #1737
Greater Supremacy Member

Hi,

1. In Queenstown, if just want to experience snow and enjoy the views (not ski-ing), is The Remarkables Ski Area or Coronet Peak better? Or just forget about such a trip? Thanks.

2. Is it feasible to drive from Queenstown to Te Anau at night? Its either sleep at Queenstown then drive to Te Anau in the morning, or drive at night then sleep at Te Anau. Thanks.
not recommended to drive at night anywhere in nz outside of towns, mostly street lights no lights...

you can get snow if you do some trails/hikes depending on the season
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #1738

Thanks! think u suggested it earlier on as well, when i was firming up my trip. In the end i decided to forgo the whale watching to save a few days and fly to Christchurch instead
Kaikoura town itself is still opened. A section of the highway is closed.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/plan-your-journey/
Old 18-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #1739

Hi,

Nobody drives at night as it is too risky. Even in cities, traffic is sparse after sunset.
Old 19-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #1740

Just came back from 17 days in the North and South island. Started driving from Auckland, with Queenstown as the final destination.

Some thoughts:

Driving in New Zealand, to be honest, is not difficult. The areas where you can and cannot overtake are clearly marked out.

It's true that there's less traffic at night, but in my opinion, it's not different from how there's less traffic at night in the rural areas of America/Eastern Europe. Didn't stop me from driving, but I limited my night time driving as far as possible, i.e. 2 hours max. The universal safety rules apply: (i) drive to the conditions, go below the speed limit where necessary, e.g. when its raining, (ii) don't drive at night when the temperature drops below freezing, especially at altitude when there might be ice on the road. I followed the NZ South Island transport authority's facebook page religiously, and their updates on road closures and iced/snowed roads were very frequent and accurate.

Am thankful I took the advice from the guys in this forum to just book a coach day trip to Milford Sound from Queenstown instead of driving. It wouldn't have been worth driving 4 hours there and 4 hours back. Paid nzd 70 bucks per pax for the coach by booking early on bookme.co.nz, which included the cost of cruise tickets and a light fish & chips lunch. If I had driven, I think petrol alone would have costed me $80-ish?

Hiking Roy's Peak is worth the pain. Started the trail at 4am, and caught the sunrise at 7am.

I stopped by Arrowtown when driving between Wanaka and Queenstown. There are pharmacies in all 3 towns, but there were significant price markups in Queenstown and Wanaka, compared to Arrowtown. Maybe because Queenstown and Wanaka are more touristy? E.g. the same tube of Lanolin hand cream costed 8 bucks in Arrowtown, and 12 bucks in Queenstown and Wanaka. These were non-promotion prices. Manuka honey was cheaper in the Arrowtown pharmacy too. But if you aren't picky about brand, by far, the cheapest Manuka honey I found was in Queenstown airport, air-side. Cuz of gst waiver and buy 4 get 2 free promotion.

Last edited by yxerin; 19-09-2017 at 05:17 PM..
yxerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.