LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #1756
Arch-Supremacy Member

What date you travelling?
First 3 weeks of nov
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #1757
Master Member

I am traveling in November, still got chance of avalanche?
Should be clear of snow by then.
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #1758
Arch-Supremacy Member

Should be clear of snow by then.
Good good
Old 20-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #1759

So check on apex website? Or what's the sister company is that?

Anyway. What's the daily expenses there ah? Exclude those activities like heli or ski dive etc.
https://www.rentalcar.co.nz/

They shared the same depot as Apex at both Queenstown and Auckland airports.

I cooked half my meals as NZ isn't known for its food scene anyways. So excluding activities, my expenses were mainly accommodation (this one you gotta decide yourself), meals ($10 per pax per meal if cooking? Conservatively, $20-30 per pax per lunch or dinner if eating out at a restaurant/cafe) and petrol (approx $10 per hour of driving). There should be some leftover if you budget like this. Can consider using the leftover budget on souvenirs, snacks to bring home, or a nice meal at the end of your trip
yxerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #1760
Great Supremacy Member

https://www.rentalcar.co.nz/

They shared the same depot as Apex at both Queenstown and Auckland airports.

I cooked half my meals as NZ isn't known for its food scene anyways. So excluding activities, my expenses were mainly accommodation (this one you gotta decide yourself), meals ($10 per pax per meal if cooking? Conservatively, $20-30 per pax per lunch or dinner if eating out at a restaurant/cafe) and petrol (approx $10 per hour of driving). There should be some leftover if you budget like this. Can consider using the leftover budget on souvenirs, snacks to bring home, or a nice meal at the end of your trip
Thanks. You stay on motels? You prebook or book when you're there? Where you book?

Yeah. Planning to ownself cook if possible.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #1761

Thanks. You stay on motels? You prebook or book when you're there? Where you book?

Yeah. Planning to ownself cook if possible.
Motels and hostels. I prebooked with whichever website gave me the cheapest quotes, e.g. agoda, hostelworld, hotels.com. I noticed agoda was usually the cheapest though.

There are some hostels/motels that were simply not listed in aggregator websites, so I prebooked directly through their own websites.

I went in Sep, which was off peak season, so many of the hostels had vacancies, so I could have booked on the spot if I wanted to. However, this would not have worked for Lake Tekapo. All the decent budget accommodations at Lake Tekapo were snapped up at least 2 months before my trip. My motel was full house where I was there, same story for the other nearby motels/hostels.
Old 21-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #1762
Great Supremacy Member

Motels and hostels. I prebooked with whichever website gave me the cheapest quotes, e.g. agoda, hostelworld, hotels.com. I noticed agoda was usually the cheapest though.

There are some hostels/motels that were simply not listed in aggregator websites, so I prebooked directly through their own websites.

I went in Sep, which was off peak season, so many of the hostels had vacancies, so I could have booked on the spot if I wanted to. However, this would not have worked for Lake Tekapo. All the decent budget accommodations at Lake Tekapo were snapped up at least 2 months before my trip. My motel was full house where I was there, same story for the other nearby motels/hostels.
Thanks. Do you still have those with own website. I can use it for additional selection as well.

Tyvm.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #1763
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone have recommendations for accom in auckland?
Issit better to stay near the city centre?
And is parking an issue in Auckland? Thinking whether i shld driving ard or take public transport in Auckland

TIA
Old 22-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #1764

Anyone have recommendations for accom in auckland?
Issit better to stay near the city centre?
And is parking an issue in Auckland? Thinking whether i shld driving ard or take public transport in Auckland

TIA
You are still not convinced of high parking charges in cities...haha....
It is ok for me as I am not the one paying...heehee...🤗
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #1765
Master Member

Stay near airport lah. Complimentary Parking at hotel.
Old 22-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #1766
Arch-Supremacy Member

You are still not convinced of high parking charges in cities...haha....
It is ok for me as I am not the one paying...heehee...�
No no... I thinking whether to leave the car at accom that have free parking, and take public transportation for city areas. Then drive to airport on last day.
Old 22-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #1767

No no... I thinking whether to leave the car at accom that have free parking, and take public transportation for city areas. Then drive to airport on last day.
Just skip Auckland completely. Almost all the travel guides recommend skipping Auckland. Can skip Christchurch too if that's in your itinerary as well.
Old 22-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #1768
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just skip Auckland completely. Almost all the travel guides recommend skipping Auckland. Can skip Christchurch too if that's in your itinerary as well.
Christchurch i am skipping.
Auckland i havent really planned yet.
But travel guide recommends skipping Auckland?! So far the guides i read, lonely planet, frodo, rough guides etc, all dedicate a huge part of the guide to Auckland.. Much more than any other places in New Zealand. So kind of strange if they recommend skipping it
Old 22-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #1769
Master Member

Auckland one day can finish liao. It was a Sunday and I drove park for $10 all day
Old 22-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #1770

Christchurch i am skipping.
Auckland i havent really planned yet.
But travel guide recommends skipping Auckland?! So far the guides i read, lonely planet, frodo, rough guides etc, all dedicate a huge part of the guide to Auckland.. Much more than any other places in New Zealand. So kind of strange if they recommend skipping it
All the guidebooks never recommend spending more than a day in Auckland. Even when you search for '1 month in new zealand' type of itineraries, many of the model itineraries blow through auckland in 1 day or so. Auckland is there simply because most international flights land in Auckland airport and thus, most tourists start their holiday in Auckland.

When it comes to culture, Wellington wins Auckland. When it comes to activities and adventure, Queenstown wins. When it comes to scenery, hikes and landscape, the rest of New Zealand wins.

If you skip Auckland and just start driving southwards when you arrive in Auckland airport, you can likely save at least half a day. Spend that extra time in the South island, or in North island towns like Taupo.

That said, just my personal views. Feel free to disagree!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.