HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #1861

Can look for Milford Sound Lodge as I will be staying a night there. About 40 nzd per pax for the hostel option.
Please remember to buy food to cook there. There is no restaurant or sold food at the lodge.

Night time, can experience walking in the darkness and watch fireflies.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #1862
Master Member

Please remember to buy food to cook there. There is no restaurant or sold food at the lodge.

Night time, can experience walking in the darkness and watch fireflies.
Actually there is a proper restaurant at the lodge serving from an ala carte menu. But you can choose to cook at the common kitchen as well.
hawkwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #1863

Actually there is a proper restaurant at the lodge serving from an ala carte menu. But you can choose to cook at the common kitchen as well.
Last time when there, no restaurant.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #1864

Not bad. Go orange not crowded. Whole journey took 10 hours back/forth Queenstown
Agree Go Orange was not bad! Value for money...
yxerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #1865
Great Supremacy Member

Wha. Thanks for the recommendation for orange. Really seem like much cheaper and got discount if using Go Play also.

is the cruise trip different? how come cheaper and with fish and chip meal also?

Anymore such recommendation must keep them coming!
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #1866

Hi all! Below is my current itinerary for my mid-nov solo trip.
Hope to get some feedback =)

12th Nov (Sun) - Arrive @ Christchurch (1040) / Pick up sleepervan / Drive to Lake Tekapo / Explore Lake Tekapo
13th Nov (Mon) - Mount John Summit Track / Drive to Lake Pukaki / Trekking @ Lake Pukaki OR Tasman Lake (iceberg)
14th Nov (Tue) - Hooker Valley Hike / Drive to Wanaka / Rob Roy Glacier Track
15th Nov (Wed) - Roy's Peak Track / Drive to Queenstown / Return Drive to Glenorchy
16th Nov (Thu) - Ben Lommod Summit / Drive to Te Anau
17th Nov (Fri) - Morning Activity @ Te Anau / Drive to Milford Sound / Trekking @ Milford Sound
18th Nov (Sat) - Kayak @ Milford Sound / Drive back to Queenstown
19th Nov (Sun) - Half-day Cycling @ Otago Rail Track / Drive to Fox Glacier / Glowworm (night)
20th Nov (Mon) - Full day Fox Glacier hike / Drive to Arthur's Point
21th Nov (Tue) - Avalanche Peak Track / Drive to Christchurch
22nd Nov (Wed) - Depart @ Christchurch (1200)
WindWaterWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #1867
Greater Supremacy Member

Hi all! Below is my current itinerary for my mid-nov solo trip.
Hope to get some feedback =)

12th Nov (Sun) - Arrive @ Christchurch (1040) / Pick up sleepervan / Drive to Lake Tekapo / Explore Lake Tekapo
13th Nov (Mon) - Mount John Summit Track / Drive to Lake Pukaki / Trekking @ Lake Pukaki OR Tasman Lake (iceberg)
14th Nov (Tue) - Hooker Valley Hike / Drive to Wanaka / Rob Roy Glacier Track
15th Nov (Wed) - Roy's Peak Track / Drive to Queenstown / Return Drive to Glenorchy
16th Nov (Thu) - Ben Lommod Summit / Drive to Te Anau
17th Nov (Fri) - Morning Activity @ Te Anau / Drive to Milford Sound / Trekking @ Milford Sound
18th Nov (Sat) - Kayak @ Milford Sound / Drive back to Queenstown
19th Nov (Sun) - Half-day Cycling @ Otago Rail Track / Drive to Fox Glacier / Glowworm (night)
20th Nov (Mon) - Full day Fox Glacier hike / Drive to Arthur's Point
21th Nov (Tue) - Avalanche Peak Track / Drive to Christchurch
22nd Nov (Wed) - Depart @ Christchurch (1200)
nice plan, can see that you like hiking too...

mt john just drive up pay $8, i think not worth the effort to climb up... u can probably do it on your 1st day so u can cut down at least half a day...

at mt cook, u can do either hooker valley (easy) or sealy tarns (2000+ steps)...

take note rob roy u have to drive through uncovered road, cuz u have to go slower so it will take longer than a normal road...

ben lomond i only did the saddle portion, never go all the way up... but still good... the summit must be even better...

i wont waste time on kayaking milford sound, if u wan to do physical things can consider doing the key summit track, was in my plan but i didnt do it in the end cuz we decided to take coach instead...
mata_hippo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #1868
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi for car rental, how many months before my trip should i book it? And how to choose a car? Do not drive in sg and have never rented a car. For convenience will just get those all-in option. Friend recommended Apex. Thanks.

If 2 passengers and 2 mid and 1 large luggages, toyota yaris hatchback enough? Thanks

Last edited by winguy; 29-10-2017 at 02:41 PM..
winguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #1869

Hi for car rental, how many months before my trip should i book it? And how to choose a car? Do not drive in sg and have never rented a car. For convenience will just get those all-in option. Friend recommended Apex. Thanks.
I think 1 month before would be good. Apex usually has some promos going on during this period

DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #1870
Arch-Supremacy Member

Does one usually opt for Roadside Cover?
What about GPS unit? Or just borrow from someone you know who has a spare GPS unit? Thanks.
winguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #1871
Greater Supremacy Member

gps jus use ur phone with data

otherwise u can download offline maps like maps.me or the nokia map (forgot the name)
Old 29-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #1872

nice plan, can see that you like hiking too...

mt john just drive up pay $8, i think not worth the effort to climb up... u can probably do it on your 1st day so u can cut down at least half a day...

at mt cook, u can do either hooker valley (easy) or sealy tarns (2000+ steps)...

take note rob roy u have to drive through uncovered road, cuz u have to go slower so it will take longer than a normal road...

ben lomond i only did the saddle portion, never go all the way up... but still good... the summit must be even better...

i wont waste time on kayaking milford sound, if u wan to do physical things can consider doing the key summit track, was in my plan but i didnt do it in the end cuz we decided to take coach instead...
Thanks for the advice!

Can I understand why you mention that it's time-wasting for the kayaking @ milford sound? It's not nice ah?
WindWaterWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #1873
Great Supremacy Member

Hey, I kinda planning my routes from 24 nov to 8 dec.

settled the overall but now looking at the details.

24 - stay at chc
25 - leave chc to Maruia spring via lewis pass.
26 - leave Maruia to Hokitika
27 - leave Hokitika to Fox Glacier
28 - stay at Fox Glacier
29 - leave Fox Glacier to Wanaka
30 - leave Wanaka to Queenstown
1 - stay Queenstown
2 - leave Queenstown to Te Anau
3 - leave Te Anau to Milford Sound and back to Te Anau (still thinking whether to use the coach tour but either way will be a one day trip and back to Te Anau)
4 - leave Te Anau to Mt Cook (Village)
5 - leave Mt Cook (Village) to Tekapo
6 - nothing concreate, maybe stay mt cook or tekapo for one more day?
7 - leave xxx to CHC
8 - back to SG

previously was thinking to include Catlins and Dunedin after Te Anau and before Mt cook. But seem to be quite rush. so probably will exclude these 2 unless got any good reason for those 2?

also, is arthur pass worth driving to? cause from Maruia gg to Hokitika, if i were to go to arthur pass, then have to detour a little. gg to arthur pass is a drive pass thingy? or have to stay there kind?

to add on, seem like during this period, there's 14-15 hr daylight. around 8+ 9pm then sunset. so when planning, my driving can stretch longer yea?

thanks.

Last edited by BlackCube; 29-10-2017 at 09:07 PM..
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #1874
Greater Supremacy Member

Thanks for the advice!

Can I understand why you mention that it's time-wasting for the kayaking @ milford sound? It's not nice ah?
jus feel u wont see much of milford sound by kayaking... jus take the cruise and enjoy the views better... usually can see seals... and occasionally can see penguins... i saw a few penguins during my last cruise
Old 29-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #1875
Greater Supremacy Member

Hey, I kinda planning my routes from 24 nov to 8 dec.

settled the overall but now looking at the details.

24 - stay at chc
25 - leave chc to Maruia spring via lewis pass.
26 - leave Maruia to Hokitika
27 - leave Hokitika to Fox Glacier
28 - stay at Fox Glacier
29 - leave Fox Glacier to Wanaka
30 - leave Wanaka to Queenstown
1 - stay Queenstown
2 - leave Queenstown to Te Anau
3 - leave Te Anau to Milford Sound and back to Te Anau (still thinking whether to use the coach tour but either way will be a one day trip and back to Te Anau)
4 - leave Te Anau to Mt Cook (Village)
5 - leave Mt Cook (Village) to Tekapo
6 - nothing concreate, maybe stay mt cook or tekapo for one more day?
7 - leave xxx to CHC
8 - back to SG

previously was thinking to include Catlins and Dunedin after Te Anau and before Mt cook. But seem to be quite rush. so probably will exclude these 2 unless got any good reason for those 2?

also, is arthur pass worth driving to? cause from Maruia gg to Hokitika, if i were to go to arthur pass, then have to detour a little. gg to arthur pass is a drive pass thingy? or have to stay there kind?

to add on, seem like during this period, there's 14-15 hr daylight. around 8+ 9pm then sunset. so when planning, my driving can stretch longer yea?

thanks.
any reason y u wanna go Maruia spring?

usually is cc > arthur's pass > glacier, or glacier straight from cc...

as mentioned in earlier pages u can take the coach from queenstown, so instead of have 2-4 nov for te anau+milford sound, u jus need to spend maybe 2 or 3 nov...

hope u have checked the map, te anau to mt cook is about 5 hrs drive...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.