HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #1876
Great Supremacy Member

any reason y u wanna go Maruia spring?

usually is cc > arthur's pass > glacier, or glacier straight from cc...

as mentioned in earlier pages u can take the coach from queenstown, so instead of have 2-4 nov for te anau+milford sound, u jus need to spend maybe 2 or 3 nov...

hope u have checked the map, te anau to mt cook is about 5 hrs drive...
no special reason. seem like one of the recommended place to go. and it's the first day there, so might as well relax first. haha

im might be doing this?

so will be a detour to arthur's pass and maybe stay for a short while then go off.

reason to stay in te anau is that te anau itself got places to go right. so if go from QT to MS, then i'll miss out te anau. dont wanna make the entire trip too rush. that's why i removed Catlins and Dunedin for now.

yeah, saw the long drive. was thinking now that if it is better to go from wanaka to te anau first. after playing at te anau already, then go to QT and stay for 2 days. then move to mt cook (3 hr from QT instead of 5 from te anau). like that seem better?

Last edited by BlackCube; 29-10-2017 at 10:00 PM..
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #1877
Greater Supremacy Member

Up to u if u wanna chill at that spring place, as long as u r ok with the extra drive/time spent at the lower priority places... wasnt in my plans for both my past 2 south island trips...

Te anau is a larger town than queenstown but it’s a dead town... nth to do one...

There’s a glow worm cave tour but glow worm caves r more well known in the north at waitomo caves...

It’s the town you use if you r gonna do the famous multi day treks: kepler, routeburn and milford

As a scenery/hiking person i would recommend first timers to prioritise wanaka, queenstown and mt cook where possible... followed by glacier towns, Arthur’s pass, tekapo and milford sound...

Other towns r not rly a scenery/hiking place so i never bother to research further... so my knowledge of them will be minimal...

Last edited by mata_hippo; 29-10-2017 at 11:02 PM..
mata_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #1878
Great Supremacy Member

Up to u if u wanna chill at that spring place, as long as u r ok with the extra drive/time spent at the lower priority places... wasnt in my plans for both my past 2 south island trips...
ok. priority is a bit subjective so each to its own.
just wanna know if arthur is that worth, then i will make the slight detour as shown in the image above. if not then i will skip that.

Te anau is a larger town than queenstown but itís a dead town... nth to do one...

Thereís a glow worm cave tour but glow worm caves r more well known in the north at waitomo caves...

Itís the town you use if you r gonna do the famous multi day treks: kepler, routeburn and milford

As a scenery/hiking person i would recommend first timers to prioritise wanaka, queenstown and mt cook where possible... followed by glacier towns, Arthurís pass, tekapo and milford sound...

Other towns r not rly a scenery/hiking place so i never bother to research further... so my knowledge of them will be minimal...
yeah, that's why i staying te anau for 2 days to go around places. i am thinking to add another night at wanaka already. not exactly a hiking person though. will go for easier hike, not those difficult ones.
Old 30-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #1879

jus feel u wont see much of milford sound by kayaking... jus take the cruise and enjoy the views better... usually can see seals... and occasionally can see penguins... i saw a few penguins during my last cruise
Oh.. icic. But i think i still prefer the kayak to get more up close and personal with the animals and waterfalls. Thanks anyway!

WindWaterWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #1880
Great Supremacy Member

I'm most probably dropping Arthur pass.

Is the heli hike worth the 450 bucks?

Any night places to go at Christchurch area? I'm thinking not to book hotel for last night since I'll need to be at airport very early like 4am. Need to return car before also.
so will just go airport earlier then can chill at airport.. too bad the pp lounge don't open that early.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #1881
Greater Supremacy Member

u can consider staying at the JUCY place at the airport for the last night after returning your car
Old 05-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #1882
Arch-Supremacy Member

Picked up the free travel guide at Auckland airport.. So many discount coupon/codes for popular attractions. Too bad i already booked most of the attractions tickets

For those who haven't booked anything, just try 'ARRIVAL' for promo code. Can be used for milford sound cruise, FJ glacier helihike, waitomo caves etc
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #1883
Great Supremacy Member

Picked up the free travel guide at Auckland airport.. So many discount coupon/codes for popular attractions. Too bad i already booked most of the attractions tickets

For those who haven't booked anything, just try 'ARRIVAL' for promo code. Can be used for milford sound cruise, FJ glacier helihike, waitomo caves etc
On their own official website? Or those like bookme website?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #1884
Great Supremacy Member

Eh, where do you people stay when you're at mt cook, lake tekapo area ah? i see the places at these 2 place damn expensive. for tekapo, im looking at kimbell area there. but mt cook leh?

twizel, pukaki there?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #1885
Arch-Supremacy Member

On their own official website? Or those like bookme website?
Shld be at their own official website. I didnt have a chance to try though, coz all my tickets booked in advance already
Old 06-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #1886
Great Supremacy Member

Shld be at their own official website. I didnt have a chance to try though, coz all my tickets booked in advance already
I tried on realjourney or something but like doesn't work leh. Any specific company or website to try on?
Old 06-11-2017, 11:35 PM   #1887
Greater Supremacy Member

Mt cook can consider the yha hostel they got dorms and privates...

Tekapo u can consider the lake view hostel or if u wan to splurge, i cant rmb the full name off my head but got a “pepper” word in their name...

Twizel and pukaki never stay before, not meant for staying one... jus pass by drink kopi, take some pics n go...
Old 07-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #1888
Great Supremacy Member

Mt cook can consider the yha hostel they got dorms and privates...

Tekapo u can consider the lake view hostel or if u wan to splurge, i cant rmb the full name off my head but got a “pepper” word in their name...

Twizel and pukaki never stay before, not meant for staying one... jus pass by drink kopi, take some pics n go...
Think can't find private at Mt cook liao if not is too expensive. That's why got to stay at twizel.

Almost settled all the places liao. Damn expensive the accommodation. Heart pain. Haha. Some already staying on the shared bathroom kind liao. Some got private.

I guess nearing the peak period. Got no choice.

anyway.. I came across jucy snooze. excellent place to stay on your last or first day . it's per person per pod. and cheap. 30+ per night. got WiFi etc etc.

Last edited by BlackCube; 07-11-2017 at 12:55 AM..
Old 07-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #1889
Arch-Supremacy Member

I tried on realjourney or something but like doesn't work leh. Any specific company or website to try on?
Real journey the code is ARRIVAL17
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #1890
Arch-Supremacy Member

Mount Cook I stayed at White Horse Hill, great starting place for the hikes too.
BlurKillerEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.