Back from South island New Zealand

GeraldineT

Reaction score
I did a little change to my upcoming 6 weeks trip...
This is for the south island
Need a bit on advice

Day 1: Landed in wellington 12.20pm, visit Te Papa <-- Anywhere else to go?

Day 2: Take the ferry to Picton

Day 3: Dolphin Swimming Tour (with E-Ko), Drive to Abel Tasman area

Day 4: Golden Future Boat Tour

Day 5: Drive to Punakaiki, Nelson Lakes National Park / Pancake rocks & blowhole

Day 6: Drive to Franz Josef, Hokitika Gorge, 19000ft skydiving

Day 7: Drive to Fox Glacier, Heli Hiking and glacier hot pool

Day 8 and Day 9: CHANCELLOR DOME (OVERNIGHT) HELI-TREK

Day 10: Drive to Wanaka, Lake Matheson, thunder creek falls.

Day 11: Wildwire, mount aspiring?

Day 12: Relax in Wanaka

Day 13: Drive to Glenorchy, 4wd

Day 14: Drive to Queenstown, Dart River

Day 15: Free & Easy in Queenstown

Day 16: Elopement in Queenstown

Day 17: Drive to Te Anau, Milford sound cruise

Day 18: Diving

Day 19 and Day 20: Overnight Doubtful sound cruise

Day 21: Drive back to Queenstown, Onsen spa

Day 22: Drive to Mount Cook

Day 23: Wigley Mount Cook

Day 24: Glacier explorer in mount cook and drive to Lake Tekapo

Day 25: Tokaanu wharf, church of good shepherd, star grazing tour <-- Any recommendation?

Day 26: Drive to Geraldine, Full Day horse trek

Day 27: Drive to CHC, Washpen falls, Fly out at night to Auckland

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did a little change to my upcoming 6 weeks trip...
This is for the south island
Need a bit on advice

Day 1: Landed in wellington 12.20pm, visit Te Papa <-- Anywhere else to go?

Day 2: Take the ferry to Picton

Day 3: Dolphin Swimming Tour (with E-Ko), Drive to Abel Tasman area

Day 4: Golden Future Boat Tour

Day 5: Drive to Punakaiki, Nelson Lakes National Park / Pancake rocks & blowhole

Day 6: Drive to Franz Josef, Hokitika Gorge, 19000ft skydiving

Day 7: Drive to Fox Glacier, Heli Hiking and glacier hot pool

Day 8 and Day 9: CHANCELLOR DOME (OVERNIGHT) HELI-TREK

Day 10: Drive to Wanaka, Lake Matheson, thunder creek falls.

Day 11: Wildwire, mount aspiring?

Day 12: Relax in Wanaka

Day 13: Drive to Glenorchy, 4wd

Day 14: Drive to Queenstown, Dart River

Day 15: Free & Easy in Queenstown

Day 16: Elopement in Queenstown

Day 17: Drive to Te Anau, Milford sound cruise

Day 18: Diving

Day 19 and Day 20: Overnight Doubtful sound cruise

Day 21: Drive back to Queenstown, Onsen spa

Day 22: Drive to Mount Cook

Day 23: Wigley Mount Cook

Day 24: Glacier explorer in mount cook and drive to Lake Tekapo

Day 25: Tokaanu wharf, church of good shepherd, star grazing tour <-- Any recommendation?

Day 26: Drive to Geraldine, Full Day horse trek

Day 27: Drive to CHC, Washpen falls, Fly out at night to Auckland

U pre book your sky dive? You going to drive there the same day u go? I'm not sure what time they stop the skydive for the day but if u drive there, then do cater for the time.

Not sure if your driving to fox means u going to stay one night at Franz then one at fox? If so then I need u can just stay at Franz cause it's nearby only. No need to keep changing hotel.

Star gazing ownself drive to open space see can Liao lo. No need tour I think .

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3

liemsc

Reaction score
Any particular reason to stay in Arthur Pass? If not, then go straight to Hokikta, or you can visit Greymouth if you want.

Not doing any activities in FJG? If you doing, then cater 3d2n as weather may cause some activity to cancel. 2n in Wanaka is ok, but note that going from FJG to Wanaka takes around whole day (see my previous post), so you only have one day to explore in Wanaka unless you intend not to stop from FJG to Wanaka which kinda defeat the purpose of going to NZ.

Your last couple of days staying at Glentanner and Geraldine got any reason? If not can compress and stay at Kimbell/Tekapo area so don't need to keep changing hotel?

Let me first share that we're going on a campervan, with 2 young children. Hence I'm trying to take it easy, not to travel too far each day, and staying at holiday parks so that they can play (otherwise they will be bored with sightseeing and walks). So that kinda explains some of your questions above :)

Staying in Arthur Pass -> is actually Jackson's Retreat Holiday Park.
FJG -> only going for West Coast Widllife center. Will do a bit of walk in Fox Glacier. Not doing any flight/heli stuffs.
Yes, will stop along the way from Fox Glacier to Wanaka (Lake Matheson, Moeraki, some waterfalls, Blue Pools).

For the 1 full day in Wanaka, currently I have planned for the "Puzzling World", Wanaka Tree, and a bit of walk in Mount Iron track (not the whole track). Anything else to be done in Wanaka?

Glentanner is again an extension of Mt Cook stay (as the previous day will be roughing it out in White Horse Hill campground :)
Geraldine is for the farmstay experience.

Thanks for your feedback!

GeraldineT

Reaction score
U pre book your sky dive? You going to drive there the same day u go? I'm not sure what time they stop the skydive for the day but if u drive there, then do cater for the time.

Not sure if your driving to fox means u going to stay one night at Franz then one at fox? If so then I need u can just stay at Franz cause it's nearby only. No need to keep changing hotel.

Star gazing ownself drive to open space see can Liao lo. No need tour I think .

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3

yap, driving there..
im going to stay 1 night in franz , but the one in fox will be up in the mountain.

star gazing any place to recommend?

babywartortle

Reaction score
15 days North and South Island itinerary

Hi all! Would like to have some feedback with regards to my itinerary. Comments and suggestions welcome. Would be travelling in a group of 4 using car for North Island and campervan for South Island.

Day 1: Arrival in Auckland
Day 2: Collect car and drive to Hobbiton. Overnight in Waitomo
Day 3: Waitomo Glowworm cave. Overnight in Turangi.
Day 4: Tongariro Alphine Crossing. 2nd night in Turangi
Day 5: Huka falls and Wai O Tapu Thermal Wonderland. Return car and take domestic flight from Rotorua to Christchurch. Overnight in accommodation near Christchurch airport
Day 6: Collect campervan and drive to Arthur's Pass and Hokitika
Day 7: Franz Josef Glacier to do Heli hike
Day 8: Wanaka via Haast Pass
Day 9: Hike up Roy's Peak
Day 10: Queenstown & Arrowtown - Shotover jet and Luge ride
Day 11: Coach from Queenstown to Milford Sound cruise
Day 12: Lake Tekapo
Day 13: Mount Cook
Day 14: Return to Christchurch
Day 15: Domestic flight to Auckland and home sweet home

Thanks!

zhenology

Reaction score
Ive been trying to book the onsen but cant seem to do so online ( will try again )
horse riding, i'm doing in geraldine
I wanna go glenorchy as well but cant seem to fit in days. :(

We will land in wellington first so probably will go there to get a hiking shoe first?
Do u think its better to buy there or in SG?

Personally I think it’s better to buy there because you don’t need to stuff the shoes in your luggage, save some space on the trip to NZ. Plus it’s really cheap and a lot more choices. I got mine from this shop called Number One Shoes for S$50+ if I remember correctly. KMart have affordable ones too.

angy

Reaction score
Personally I think it’s better to buy there because you don’t need to stuff the shoes in your luggage, save some space on the trip to NZ. Plus it’s really cheap and a lot more choices. I got mine from this shop called Number One Shoes for S$50+ if I remember correctly. KMart have affordable ones too.

No one goes to Number one shoes to buy a pair of hiking boots. It is better you goto Kathmandu or Macpac.

i am not sure what type of tramping/hiking you are trying to do, but what you pay is what you get. if you buy a cheap one and you hurt your ankle, you can kiss your NZ trip good bye.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No one goes to Number one shoes to buy a pair of hiking boots. It is better you goto Kathmandu or Macpac.

i am not sure what type of tramping/hiking you are trying to do, but what you pay is what you get. if you buy a cheap one and you hurt your ankle, you can kiss your NZ trip good bye.
Agree. Dun take ur chance on cheap hiking boots.

Personally, I prefer to buy boots in sg, and season it with a few trips to bukit timah.

But bobian, my Columbia boots spoiled while I was in Nz, so I bought Kathmandu ones there.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anybody flew qantas/sq during july to christchurch before? wad r the chances of 1k tix?

planning my 3rd south island trip in july this year :o

xieyuqi

Reaction score
I have booked tickets for Jun 2019. Can help me see if the itinerary especially travelling times for winter is ok?

15 Jun - Touch down 4pm --> Wellington
16 Jun - Weta Cave and Te PaPa Museum - Wellington
17 Jun - Wellington --> Rotorua
18 Jun - Rotorua --> Wai-O-Tapu and Hobbiton --> Auckland
19 Jun - 9am flight from Auckland to Christchurch --> Lake Lyndon/Arthurs Pass --> Hokitika for evening glow worm
20 Jun - Hokitika --> Punakaiki blowhole --> Fox Glacier (DIY walk to terminal face)
21 Jun - Fox Glacier --> Queenstown (Winter festival from 20 to 23 Jun)
22 Jun - Milford Sound Cruise - Queenstown
23 Jun - Glenorchy / Snow farm NZ - Queenstown
24 Jun - Queenstown --> Arrowtown --> Twizel --> Pukaki --> Mt Cook
25 Jun - Hooker Valley / Tasman Glacier Hike - Mt Cook
26 Jun - Mt Cook --> Tekapo --> Ht Hutt
27 Jun - Ski - Mt Hutt
28 Jun - Ski - Mt Hutt
29 Jun - Ski - Mt Hutt --> Christchurch
30 Jun - 4am return flight

GeraldineT

Reaction score
I’m thinking of flying to French Polynesia from Auckland.
Anyone else been there before? Looking at moorea.

angy

Reaction score
I have booked tickets for Jun 2019. Can help me see if the itinerary especially travelling times for winter is ok?

15 Jun - Touch down 4pm --> Wellington
16 Jun - Weta Cave and Te PaPa Museum - Wellington
17 Jun - Wellington --> Rotorua
18 Jun - Rotorua --> Wai-O-Tapu and Hobbiton --> Auckland
19 Jun - 9am flight from Auckland to Christchurch --> Lake Lyndon/Arthurs Pass --> Hokitika for evening glow worm
20 Jun - Hokitika --> Punakaiki blowhole --> Fox Glacier (DIY walk to terminal face)
21 Jun - Fox Glacier --> Queenstown (Winter festival from 20 to 23 Jun)
22 Jun - Milford Sound Cruise - Queenstown
23 Jun - Glenorchy / Snow farm NZ - Queenstown
24 Jun - Queenstown --> Arrowtown --> Twizel --> Pukaki --> Mt Cook
25 Jun - Hooker Valley / Tasman Glacier Hike - Mt Cook
26 Jun - Mt Cook --> Tekapo --> Ht Hutt
27 Jun - Ski - Mt Hutt
28 Jun - Ski - Mt Hutt
29 Jun - Ski - Mt Hutt --> Christchurch
30 Jun - 4am return flight

If you aim to ski in Mt Hutt, it is a matter of luck if there is snow on the mountain during that week. Although ski season starts in June, you really need a month of good snow for skiing.

Why not goto NZ later and maybe ski at Queenstown.

xieyuqi

Reaction score
If you aim to ski in Mt Hutt, it is a matter of luck if there is snow on the mountain during that week. Although ski season starts in June, you really need a month of good snow for skiing.

Why not go to NZ later and maybe ski at Queenstown.

I will be travelling with primary school kids, so the dates are latest I can stretch. We will return to Singapore the Sunday before school reopens.

Mt Hutt traditionally opens earlier than ski resorts near Queenstown. Furthermore, Mt Hutt being nearer to Christchurch, allows me to schedule the ski session at later part of the trip.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.