Back from South island New Zealand

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Planing for July trip, Anyone gt experience with JUCY campervan??

Is Winter in July right? will the Salmon farm be open? if 10days spend just South Island is it abit too much?

-Hera-

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to do a family trip to New Zealand this June.

Possible to do both North and South Island in 12 days or should I just skip the North Island completely?

We will be renting a car but it's Winter during that period so wondering what's the road conditions like. Are snow chains a must?

Anyone can share their itinerary and places you stayed in?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Possible to do both North and South Island in 12 days or should I just skip the North Island completely?

We will be renting a car but it's Winter during that period so wondering what's the road conditions like. Are snow chains a must?

Never go in winter before but...

12 days just choose either north or south.
You need to get chains in case you need it.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3

angy

Reaction score

Where do you want to spend your 12 days in NZ? Unless you are going up the mountain, you do not need chains in NZ.

Winter days are short and cold. It all depends where you want to go. North and South Island are equally interesting when you planned them well.

Dont let others do the research for you. You do your own and then you can decide if you can drive the distance and what you like to see.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

dun bother with the north if u only have less than 2 weeks, just concentrate on the south...

i only used the snow chain once when coming down from the cadrona ski resort near wanaka since it was snowing quite heavily at the top... but during winter just get it... if not winter, dun rly need...

Last edited:

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Planing for July trip, Anyone gt experience with JUCY campervan??

Is Winter in July right? will the Salmon farm be open? if 10days spend just South Island is it abit too much?
winter (or the cold-coldest months) are may to july

salmon farm duno

10 days is already abit too little for the south especially if you are an outdoor/adventure person...

-Hera-

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm more keen on the South but I would like to visit Hobbiton in the North. So maybe just spend a day in Hobbiton and move on to the South? I think 2 weeks should be more than enough to cover the South.

Won't be going skiing but will get snow chains just in case.

Any recommendations for restaurants, hotels etc?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm more keen on the South but I would like to visit Hobbiton in the North. So maybe just spend a day in Hobbiton and move on to the South? I think 2 weeks should be more than enough to cover the South.

Won't be going skiing but will get snow chains just in case.

Any recommendations for restaurants, hotels etc?

2 weeks is not enough for south, sadly.

Focus on south should be better I feel.

Must see where you going etc first then can recommend ma.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3

sann.tiro

Reaction score
Hi All,

Need advices on my south island winter itinerary below. I will be traveling with a big group (total 4 adults in 60s, 5 adults, 6 teenagers, 1 toddler) and we are planning for below itinerary (won't do hiking kind), more for sightseeing and food (we probably will cook for dinner but eat out for lunch), and to entertain my toddler (bring him to see animals, farms and play).

Challenges:
- Contemplating if we should get 15-seater bus to travel around or split into 2 or 3 vans. Any advice?
- At first, I wanted to entertain my toddler more, say bring him to farm stay and all. But since we end up with big group and more adults, it will be very boring for them if we do farm stay. So I decide to just do normal itinerary and see if along the way got chance to bring my toddler to see animals/farms.
- I am not very fond of switching accommodation every night, so as much as possible, I try to stay at least 2 night per location.

11-Jun (Day 0)
Midnight flight to Christchurch.

12-Jun (Day 1)
Arrive in the morning and stay at Christchurch. To cure any jetlag or tiredness.

Questions:
1. Since we will be here just for a day (and night). Any noteworthy location within the city to visit? 2. And any good food at Christchurch to recommend?

13-Jun (Day 2)
Morning drive to Lake Tekapo ~ 3 hours.
To do (options): Lake Tekapo/Church of Good Shepherd/Mt John Observatory/Tekapo Hot Spring/Stargazing
Stay at Lake Tekapo.

Questions:
1. Even though we plan for morning drive, due to the big group, I foresee we might have delay here and there and might reach Lake Tekapo around lunch time (12). What activity should we do first?
2. Planning to stay at Peppers Bluewater Resort. Any comment on this resort? Or should we try to get airbnb?
3. Any good food at Lake Tekapo to recommend?

14-Jun (Day 3)
To do: Remaining To-Do from Day 2. Stay at Lake Tekapo.

Questions:
1. Worth staying two nights at Lake Tekapo?

15-Jun (Day 4)
Morning drive to Wanaka ~ 3 hours.
En route, visit Lake Pukaki, Mount Cook, The Wrinkly Ramns (Omarama).
Stay at Wanaka.

Questions:
1. Will my en-route itinerary too much? Won't be doing hiking at Mount Cook but more like visiting the base (start of the Hooker Valley?)
2. Any recommendation where to stay at Wanaka?

16-Jun (Day 5)
To do (options): Blue Pools / Lake Wanaka / Mount Aspiring / Rippon Vineyard / Cardrona Alpine Resort.
Stay at Wanaka.

Questions:
1. Advisable to visit Blue Pools if we don't hike much?
2. Is Rippon Vineyard good to visit during winter?
3. For Cardrona Alpine Resort, I don't think we will ski, but everybody will want to experience snow. Worth to go?

17-Jun (Day 6)
Morning drive to Queenstown ~ 1.5 hours.
To do (options): Skyline Gondola, Queenstown Hill, Onsen Hot Pools
Stay at Queenstown.

18-Jun (Day 7)
To do (options): Glenorchy, Lindis Pass, Arrowtown
Stay at Queenstown.

Questions:
1. I get different reviews regarding Glenorchy, some say good, some say no. Any advice?
2. Will Arrowtown snow in June?

19-Jun (Day 8)
Day tour to Milford Sound.
Stay at Queenstown.

Questions:
1. Day tour to Milford Sound from Queenstown.

20-Jun (Day 9)
Flight to Auckland (no choice, coz cheaper fare haha)
Stay at Auckland.

Questions:
1. Probably only very short period here. Any noteworthy place to visit?
2. Any good place to eat? :)

21-Jun (Day 10)
Flight to Singapore

greenhse

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Need advices on my south island winter itinerary below. I will be traveling with a big group (total 4 adults in 60s, 5 adults, 6 teenagers, 1 toddler) and we are planning for below itinerary (won't do hiking kind), more for sightseeing and food (we probably will cook for dinner but eat out for lunch), and to entertain my toddler (bring him to see animals, farms and play).

Challenges:
- Contemplating if we should get 15-seater bus to travel around or split into 2 or 3 vans. Any advice?
- At first, I wanted to entertain my toddler more, say bring him to farm stay and all. But since we end up with big group and more adults, it will be very boring for them if we do farm stay. So I decide to just do normal itinerary and see if along the way got chance to bring my toddler to see animals/farms.
- I am not very fond of switching accommodation every night, so as much as possible, I try to stay at least 2 night per location.

11-Jun (Day 0)
Midnight flight to Christchurch.

12-Jun (Day 1)
Arrive in the morning and stay at Christchurch. To cure any jetlag or tiredness.

Questions:
1. Since we will be here just for a day (and night). Any noteworthy location within the city to visit? 2. And any good food at Christchurch to recommend?

13-Jun (Day 2)
Morning drive to Lake Tekapo ~ 3 hours.
To do (options): Lake Tekapo/Church of Good Shepherd/Mt John Observatory/Tekapo Hot Spring/Stargazing
Stay at Lake Tekapo.

Questions:
1. Even though we plan for morning drive, due to the big group, I foresee we might have delay here and there and might reach Lake Tekapo around lunch time (12). What activity should we do first?
2. Planning to stay at Peppers Bluewater Resort. Any comment on this resort? Or should we try to get airbnb?
3. Any good food at Lake Tekapo to recommend?

14-Jun (Day 3)
To do: Remaining To-Do from Day 2. Stay at Lake Tekapo.

Questions:
1. Worth staying two nights at Lake Tekapo?

15-Jun (Day 4)
Morning drive to Wanaka ~ 3 hours.
En route, visit Lake Pukaki, Mount Cook, The Wrinkly Ramns (Omarama).
Stay at Wanaka.

Questions:
1. Will my en-route itinerary too much? Won't be doing hiking at Mount Cook but more like visiting the base (start of the Hooker Valley?)
2. Any recommendation where to stay at Wanaka?

16-Jun (Day 5)
To do (options): Blue Pools / Lake Wanaka / Mount Aspiring / Rippon Vineyard / Cardrona Alpine Resort.
Stay at Wanaka.

Questions:
1. Advisable to visit Blue Pools if we don't hike much?
2. Is Rippon Vineyard good to visit during winter?
3. For Cardrona Alpine Resort, I don't think we will ski, but everybody will want to experience snow. Worth to go?

17-Jun (Day 6)
Morning drive to Queenstown ~ 1.5 hours.
To do (options): Skyline Gondola, Queenstown Hill, Onsen Hot Pools
Stay at Queenstown.

18-Jun (Day 7)
To do (options): Glenorchy, Lindis Pass, Arrowtown
Stay at Queenstown.

Questions:
1. I get different reviews regarding Glenorchy, some say good, some say no. Any advice?
2. Will Arrowtown snow in June?

19-Jun (Day 8)
Day tour to Milford Sound.
Stay at Queenstown.

Questions:
1. Day tour to Milford Sound from Queenstown.

20-Jun (Day 9)
Flight to Auckland (no choice, coz cheaper fare haha)
Stay at Auckland.

Questions:
1. Probably only very short period here. Any noteworthy place to visit?
2. Any good place to eat? :)

21-Jun (Day 10)
Flight to Singapore

I have the similar big group of 14 pax (old man >70 years, adults, child and even baby). Travel from end of May till mid of Jun.

I am more or less fixed the accommodation and itinerary. To start from Christchurch, I will be flying from Queenstown to Auckland for the last few days in North Island too.

I booked 2 x 8 seater peoples movers in South and North island.

I also plan to lunch out and most of the dinners party at Airbnb.

Big group is a little bit tricky to plan, not so flexible most of the time especially with the children and old man.

sann.tiro

Reaction score
I have the similar big group of 14 pax (old man >70 years, adults, child and even baby). Travel from end of May till mid of Jun.

I am more or less fixed the accommodation and itinerary. To start from Christchurch, I will be flying from Queenstown to Auckland for the last few days in North Island too.

I booked 2 x 8 seater peoples movers in South and North island.

I also plan to lunch out and most of the dinners party at Airbnb.

Big group is a little bit tricky to plan, not so flexible most of the time especially with the children and old man.

Agree! Do you mind sharing with me your itinerary?

Also - which 8-seater do you get? Can share the website with me?

Haha.. ya, big group is such a pain to plan. I even have to split the group to 2 airbnbs, and need to make sure they are nearby.

angy

Reaction score
@sann.tiro,

with so many passengers, you are stuffed which ever way you look at it. The easiest way is to hire a van. If each person carries a 25kg luggage, and you split them into 2 vans, each van will be carrying at least (6 X 25kg) + 6 X 60kg weight = 510kg weight for the passengers and luggages.

The van is the best option because you can chuck the luggage behind. There are pros and cons about driving a van.

Pros
a. you cannot speed so, you will drive carefully
b. you can chuck your luggage behind.

Cons
a. you cannot speed because of the heavy load, so have to keep left all the time
b. climb uphill will be a chore as the van is so heavy.

My advice
a. do not hire a Toyota passenger van. Lousy van for long distance.
b. spend some money on a comfortable and more poweful van.

here are two links

https://www.maugers.com/our-vehicles/17-seater-luxury-coach/

https://samuels.co.nz/vehicles

havealaughclown

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the below bro! As I am thinking to head to NZ this year. What is the best amount of days to be in town?

sann.tiro

Reaction score
@sann.tiro,

with so many passengers, you are stuffed which ever way you look at it. The easiest way is to hire a van. If each person carries a 25kg luggage, and you split them into 2 vans, each van will be carrying at least (6 X 25kg) + 6 X 60kg weight = 510kg weight for the passengers and luggages.

The van is the best option because you can chuck the luggage behind. There are pros and cons about driving a van.

Pros
a. you cannot speed so, you will drive carefully
b. you can chuck your luggage behind.

Cons
a. you cannot speed because of the heavy load, so have to keep left all the time
b. climb uphill will be a chore as the van is so heavy.

My advice
a. do not hire a Toyota passenger van. Lousy van for long distance.
b. spend some money on a comfortable and more poweful van.

here are two links

https://www.maugers.com/our-vehicles/17-seater-luxury-coach/

https://samuels.co.nz/vehicles

Thanks very much for the recommendation. For the 17-seater that you recommended, do you think it can fit my entire tour group (16 pax). Or we should be getting two if this? Website seems to indicate it can take 17pax plus 17 large suitcases

angy

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the recommendation. For the 17-seater that you recommended, do you think it can fit my entire tour group (16 pax). Or we should be getting two if this? Website seems to indicate it can take 17pax plus 17 large suitcases

You have a luggage problem more than a passenger problem That 17 seater will not be able to take 17 luggages. Can you imagine you restrict everyone to 25kg? That van is only a 3L van only. A Toyota camry is 2.4L and only carry 4 passengers and not even 4 luggages. If you put 17 people and 17 luggages in a van, the van is going to crawl. My advice, the get either a SUV or another 8 seater. Below is an example of a 8 seater or a SUV.

https://www.budget.co.nz/en/cars/vehicles/nz

gumbokins

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

maybe a van and an MPV combo? the car is mainly for mobility, if you need to do a quick run to a supermarket or just a small group wants to head out. that way you don’t want to keep unpacking the van also.

i would also recommend bringing duffel bags instead of trolley bags as these would be easier to pack in the van.

a day trip to milford sound from queenstown is a 10-12 hour trip, and the cruise is usually under 2 hours. if you are really keen on MS, try staying at Te Anau for a night.

don’t be too ambitious, esp with a big group and travelling in winter.

we stayed at top 10 holiday parks during our recent trip. i think they offer good value for money plus plenty of facilities that would be very useful for a large group (communal kitchen, laundry, playgrounds).

hoshiyume

Master Member
Reaction score
Will like to check for Singaporean visiting nz with tour group for 1 week stay, is it don’t need visa? Tour agency say don’t need but I tot I read only Australians can go nz without applying visa

tewem

Reaction score
Will like to check for Singaporean visiting nz with tour group for 1 week stay, is it don’t need visa? Tour agency say don’t need but I tot I read only Australians can go nz without applying visa

Are u a singaporean? If yes, going NZ dont need a visa, unless U are going Australia, then need a visa.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.