Back from South island New Zealand

angy

Reaction score
if it’s the same airline, they should guarantee your connection. minimum is 50 mins.

i flew airnz to chc, but need to clear immigration at auckland. was very delayed there and missed our connection but they just put us on the next flight to chc. there were a few other pax who were also affected and it was a bit unpleasant because instructions given were not clear.

Air NZ is different from Qantas. AKL to CHC is a domestic flight and there are many flights between the two cities. It is easy for Air NZ to do that. Whereas AUS to NZ is an international flight. So, if you miss the flight, it will be going to the next available flight which might be hours away.

gumbokins

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello! :) Do u guys get full insurance for campervan rentals? We've calculated the additional costs to be around $261 for rental excess of $950 (excluding road user charge) vs $441 all inclusive (excess of $450). Is it worth it to get or should get NTUC travel insurance that covers excess of up to $2500, yet to check if it covers campervan. Appreciate your input!

YES

we damaged our campervan pulling out from a carpark. kena $950 in repairs. managed to claim everything from insurance (i took sompo).

our windshield also got cracked by a rock that was kicked up by a passing truck but we didn’t have to pay for that, covered by rental coy.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello! :) Do u guys get full insurance for campervan rentals? We've calculated the additional costs to be around $261 for rental excess of $950 (excluding road user charge) vs $441 all inclusive (excess of $450). Is it worth it to get or should get NTUC travel insurance that covers excess of up to $2500, yet to check if it covers campervan. Appreciate your input!
Just get the most comprehend coverage from the rental coy.
I drove over a rock in a dark parking lot. Cracked the front bumper. No questions asked when I return the car coz everything covered.
Travel insurance probably will cover also. But the hassle will be to settle with the car rental coy, then claim from insurance coy when back

waterlucky

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
YES

we damaged our campervan pulling out from a carpark. kena $950 in repairs. managed to claim everything from insurance (i took sompo).

our windshield also got cracked by a rock that was kicked up by a passing truck but we didn’t have to pay for that, covered by rental coy.

Just get the most comprehend coverage from the rental coy.
I drove over a rock in a dark parking lot. Cracked the front bumper. No questions asked when I return the car coz everything covered.
Travel insurance probably will cover also. But the hassle will be to settle with the car rental coy, then claim from insurance coy when back

Hi guys, we are going to south NZ as a group .. will be driving...would like to check with bro here for singapore travel insurance got valid use in driving in NZ? if car damage can claim from singapore insurance co?
I will also buy comprehensive from the car rental co. but on top of that, should i still buy in singapore too? thanks.

waterlucky

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Air NZ is different from Qantas. AKL to CHC is a domestic flight and there are many flights between the two cities. It is easy for Air NZ to do that. Whereas AUS to NZ is an international flight. So, if you miss the flight, it will be going to the next available flight which might be hours away.

hi all;
i would like to share my experience that we bought from Zuji ...Qantas connecting flight from Brisbane to CHC has change the timing from 7.10am to 6.00pm ! wef 1 Apr 19 w/o informing us! The exact connecting flight was at 7.10am when we bought the tix around end last year ... however Qantas change the flight schedule permanently from 7.10am to 6pm which caught us by surprise! No choice...Need to apply Aus Transit Visa! Then caught by 2nd surprise! Need to go for biometric collection! Sian 1/2! Anyone any idea how long will the processing of Transit Visa took? Thanks.

waterlucky

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Note to all who travelling to South Island within the next two weeks. The Waiho bridge between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef has collapsed due to crazy weather. Repair works expected to be until mid April. Meanwhile no access from FG to FJ and vice versa. Revise your trip accordingly!

Yes..Dam Sian..... hv actually book the Heli flight at Franz Josef...now Highway 6 is impassable and Weiho connecting bridge has collapsed!
I'm not optimist that the bridge can be rebuilt in 14 days as reported... I 'm flying from 25 Apr... finger crossed.
Hv check the eastern side all hotels fully book due to other tourists suffer the same predicament! Jialet!:s11:

Any one can kindly offer a alternative suggestions thanks....

waterlucky

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will like to check for Singaporean visiting nz with tour group for 1 week stay, is it don’t need visa? Tour agency say don’t need but I tot I read only Australians can go nz without applying visa

Singaporean go NZ no need Visa.
Singaporean go NZ transit Via Australia (if not more than 8 hrs) no need visa...
Beyond 8hrs requires Transit Visa (Valid up till 72hrs).

got pple also apply Aus ETA Visa...

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, we are going to south NZ as a group .. will be driving...would like to check with bro here for singapore travel insurance got valid use in driving in NZ? if car damage can claim from singapore insurance co?
I will also buy comprehensive from the car rental co. but on top of that, should i still buy in singapore too? thanks.

u need to read the clause in the travel insurance u bought, coz it may vary.

for me, i will still get travel insurance no matter whether getting from car rental coy or not. travel insurance is to cover for other situations, such as flight delays, luggage lost, medical etc.

RedShoe

Reaction score
Yes..Dam Sian..... hv actually book the Heli flight at Franz Josef...now Highway 6 is impassable and Weiho connecting bridge has collapsed!
I'm not optimist that the bridge can be rebuilt in 14 days as reported... I 'm flying from 25 Apr... finger crossed.
Hv check the eastern side all hotels fully book due to other tourists suffer the same predicament! Jialet!:s11:

Any one can kindly offer a alternative suggestions thanks....

25 April is quite a safe date. I don't think you should change your plans for now. The livelihood of the ppl in West Coast depends on tourism and fixing the bridge is their top priority now.

Anarchy

Reaction score
west coast are losing it shines by the year. used to be really a nice place to visit with the highlight of glacier. It had retreated so much, missing it doesn't make much of an impact. Alternatively going to mount cook for 1 or 2 nights stay is more interesting!

Been to South island 3 times and if i will to do it again, skip west coast.

Btw, I was few hours before Waiho bridge collapsed. Got stranded in Hotitika for a night and had to make a big detour back to Wanaka. Quite of an experience this time.

sleepwelltonight

Reaction score
west coast are losing it shines by the year. used to be really a nice place to visit with the highlight of glacier. It had retreated so much, missing it doesn't make much of an impact. Alternatively going to mount cook for 1 or 2 nights stay is more interesting!

Been to South island 3 times and if i will to do it again, skip west coast.

Btw, I was few hours before Waiho bridge collapsed. Got stranded in Hotitika for a night and had to make a big detour back to Wanaka. Quite of an experience this time.
Been to South Island a few times too and yes I agree, the glaciers really losing its beauty after retreating so much

Anarchy

Reaction score
I’m not active in this thread thus for future first timer travellers to South, consider

- skipping west coast and use Lindis Pass instead.
- 1 or 2 nights at Mount cook bundle with heli from inflight to complete glacier view.
- if must do Milford sound, consider taking flight to and fore. Staying twonights in Te Anau for the transit can waste too much time and effort. Do some calculation and you may realise it’s a better option to fly. Half day it’s done and have a better view.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m not active in this thread thus for future first timer travellers to South, consider

- skipping west coast and use Lindis Pass instead.
- 1 or 2 nights at Mount cook bundle with heli from inflight to complete glacier view.
- if must do Milford sound, consider taking flight to and fore. Staying twonights in Te Anau for the transit can waste too much time and effort. Do some calculation and you may realise it’s a better option to fly. Half day it’s done and have a better view.

Going in May and is my 1st time visiting NZ. I thought Arthur pass is a good scenic drive and planned a anti clock wise direction trip from CC to hokitika, wanaka, queenstown and then travel northward toward mount cook and back to CC in 10 days. Will be Skipping both glaciers as I have been to the one in Iceland.

That why I am considering whether I should just skip Arthur pass and Hotikita and travel toward Southward from CC.

Anarchy

Reaction score
i did that before anti-clockwise. Well if it is the drive that interest you, then can do it. Since you aren't keen in the glacier then it is just driving for the scenery. Do take into consideration that if it rains which is common in West Coast, then you will not get to see what you want.

I would rather spend more time in Wanaka and Queenstown. Driving Cardona valley in winter is amazing. Glenochy is a nice drive on a good day. Mount cook is a good place to stay for a night or two.

GeraldineT

Reaction score
I know we have an unlock iphone. However when I’m checking my mobile compatibility with skinny it seems that they are not compatible? Which telco do u all get instead then?

I’m using XS max.
I tried on an iPhone X and it works with skinny. But not XS max

MoneyHoney

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, Will be traveling to South island for approximately 12.5 days in late Oct to mid Nov this year. Will be arriving and departing from ChristChurch.

Have browsed through some of the websites/blogs and Identified some of the POIs that I would like to go. Need advice if I should drop any, or if I'm missing out on any must-see while in South Island:

Tekapo: Church of Good Shepherd, Mt John Observatory

Mount Cook: Peter's Lookout, High Country Salmon, Hooker Valley Track

Wanaka: #ThatWanakaTree, Roy's Peak

Te Anau: Milford Sounds, Doubtful Sounds

Dunedin: Baldwin Street, Moeraki Boulders Beach, Nugget Point Lighthouse, Elephant Rocks

Queenstown: Skyline Queenstown, Fergburger

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.