Back from South island New Zealand

BuGGi3

Master Member
Reaction score
May I check again, have anyone rented a normal sedan in NZ just using our SG class 3 licence without the International Driving Permit from AA?

I did applied for IDP, in the end... no need.

Stopped by police for speeding... no need also.

Oh ya... please remember to slow down when entering each town. I was trying to peel a banana and entered a town while doing so, not slowing down fast enough. :s13: No excuse for that. Had a good chat with the police though, he was friendly.

Last edited:

a1v1n_

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How did you two read that there is no impact on Singaporeans? putting aside that a1v1n_'s travel period is before start of new rule.

my bad. takes effect from 1 Oct 2019 onward.

Last edited:

a1v1n_

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
saw this sign while googling around NZ. i guess this means "first come first serve" in a way and to give way to whoever is already on the bridge?
lgutV4t.png

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Pk0601

Reaction score
Bigger arrow always has the first right of way. When approaching such bridges, always slow down cause may have blind spots.

Some bridges (longer ones) have side pockets so in case the driver (not in the first right of way) is already on the bridge, he has to go into the pocket and wait for the other incoming car to pass through first :)

saw this sign while googling around NZ. i guess this means "first come first serve" in a way and to give way to whoever is already on the bridge?
lgutV4t.png

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lgutV4t.png
Nope
The bigger arrow indicates the side that has right of way for single lane roads, usually at bridge crossings.
So in the case, the opposite direction have right of way and u need to allow them to cross the bridge first.

lurker88

Reaction score
Nope
The bigger arrow indicates the side that has right of way for single lane roads, usually at bridge crossings.
So in the case, the opposite direction have right of way and u need to allow them to cross the bridge first.

So if there is no veh opp and I'm already on the bridge and no side pocket, I shall proceed thru ?

Sent from LGE LM-V405 using GAGT

Pk0601

Reaction score
Yes proceed through. The other side will have to wait for you to pass if you're already on the bridge and no side pockets

So if there is no veh opp and I'm already on the bridge and no side pocket, I shall proceed thru ?

lurker88

Reaction score
Still undecided to go during spring or autumn. I personally preferred spring (late Sept) because of the hiking and lupins at lake tekapo. All my Europe trips were either during autumn or winter so wanted a change

Coming Sept my turkey trip confirmed so got to wait till next year but it's quite some time away

For those who been to south island during spring or autumn, able to gpgt some photos of the landscape? Just want to have a sensing of the scenery to be expected.

Pk0601

Reaction score
Edited/
Spring you get to see the trees n plants blooming it's a beautiful sight whenever you hike. Autumn not so much but both seasons are still great to travel in

Still undecided to go during spring or autumn. I personally preferred spring (late Sept) because of the hiking and lupins at lake tekapo. All my Europe trips were either during autumn or winter so wanted a change

Coming Sept my turkey trip confirmed so got to wait till next year but it's quite some time away

For those who been to south island during spring or autumn, able to gpgt some photos of the landscape? Just want to have a sensing of the scenery to be expected.

Last edited:

lurker88

Reaction score
Autumn you get to see the trees n plants blooming it's a beautiful sight whenever you hike. Spring not so much but both seasons are still great to travel in

Autumn is where the flowers blooming ? I thought it's during spring

Pk0601

Reaction score
So sorry I typed the other way round! Thanks for pointing out.
But autumn is really beautiful too when the trees start to turn orange, esp in Arrowtown.

*I have edited my earlier post

Autumn is where the flowers blooming ? I thought it's during spring

Pk0601

Reaction score
Nov will be great. Still spring n going into summer soon. Lots of day light. Even up to 9pm the sky is still bright like our around our 6, 7 pm. Season is great for doing lots of activities.

Although the views in South island are really beautiful in all seasons, do take note that it may tend to rain a lot and bad weather may affect activities like skydiving, glacier walks, etc.

That's why they say in NZ, you can have all seasons in a day 😂

Enjoy your trip bro!

Kk. I have decided. Guess I will go in late Nov.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.