HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #2176
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi need some advice regarding car rental.

Going in apr. Book about 1 month before in mar?

2 passengers, 3 large luggages. Is a car like toyota yaris enough? Safe to expose luggage in back seat when parked for long hours? Or better to get sedan where all luggages can be in boot? If so any sedan to recommend? Corolla? Thanks
winguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #2177

2 passengers, 3 large luggages. Is a car like toyota yaris enough? Safe to expose luggage in back seat when parked for long hours? Or better to get sedan where all luggages can be in boot? If so any sedan to recommend? Corolla? Thanks
I think it's relatively safe to leave luggage in hatchbacks. But I think a mid size hatch would be much better in terms of comfort and spaciousness on long drives. I quite liked the Toyota corolla hatch as compared to the Ford fiesta 2012. Both rented from apex when I was there.

Sent from Tomorrowland using GAGT
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #2178
Great Supremacy Member

hi everyone, we would be going for our NZ South Island trip in March and intend to book a campervan. Like to check how do most of you pay for your deposit and rental given that there is a surcharge for credit card payment by the company and exchange rate via credit card is not fantastic....
ICBC MasterCard. Oversea rebate 3% . Beats the bank charges and get .5% rebates. Best card right now.
Unless you wanna earn miles while oversea.
irisse likes this.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 12:22 AM   #2179
Great Supremacy Member

Although I feel that NZ is quite safe but still have to stay safe yourself. So I took sedan instead of hatch. Price I feel not too much of a difference. Pay Abit more for the comfort and safety. Worth the price.

As a rough estimation for you. I rental sedan (Toyota Corolla or similar) from go rental. 13 or 14 days with full insurance cost me just below 900 nzd. So 800+ sgd?
Old 22-01-2018, 12:48 AM   #2180

Smile

ICBC MasterCard. Oversea rebate 3% . Beats the bank charges and get .5% rebates. Best card right now.
Unless you wanna earn miles while oversea.
Thanks @BlackCube. This really sounds good!!!
irisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #2181
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just came back last night. Got a speeding ticket during the middle of my trip.

For those driving do note, they have zero allowance for speeding. 100km/hr means 100km/hr. Even if you are travelling at 101km/hr you can get fine 30$. Their police patrol car can even book you when they are travelling from the opposite direction.

Sent from OPPO X9076 using GAGT
angcsbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #2182

Although I feel that NZ is quite safe but still have to stay safe yourself. So I took sedan instead of hatch. Price I feel not too much of a difference. Pay Abit more for the comfort and safety. Worth the price.

As a rough estimation for you. I rental sedan (Toyota Corolla or similar) from go rental. 13 or 14 days with full insurance cost me just below 900 nzd. So 800+ sgd?
Agree I have seen some smaller hatch really struggling when going uphill along some roads. For longer distance better to get at least a sedan for comfort if you have the budget
Satki General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #2183
Arch-Supremacy Member

I agree... Just get sedan.
Saw quite a few travel guides that warns of carbreaking in nz. And when i was there, i came across a few carparks that have signs to remind ppl to lockup their car and not leave valuables in the car
evilerniex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #2184
Arch-Supremacy Member

Maybe better to get a bigger car for long road trips. More stable and comfortable, so u wun be so tired
Old 22-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #2185
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just came back last night. Got a speeding ticket during the middle of my trip.

For those driving do note, they have zero allowance for speeding. 100km/hr means 100km/hr. Even if you are travelling at 101km/hr you can get fine 30$. Their police patrol car can even book you when they are travelling from the opposite direction.

How fast were u going?
I kanna tailgated very often when i am going at 100kmh
Old 22-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #2186

Safe or not, I won't trust exposing my luggage in the car. There are some places which the locals also advise not to expose your stuff inside the car.
To avoid an unpleasant experience, use a sedan.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #2187
Arch-Supremacy Member

How fast were u going?
I kanna tailgated very often when i am going at 100kmh
I was going about 110 thereabouts.

Surprisingly I noticed the locals tend to tailgate and overtake more. (Those farm trucks, company vans)

angcsbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #2188
Great Supremacy Member

I seen 2-3 pple Kanna stop due to speeding.

One overtake me then in front got stop lol. Lucky me.
cwchee likes this.
Old 22-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #2189

Surprisingly I noticed the locals tend to tailgate and overtake more. (Those farm trucks, company vans)

expected mah they are locals

I remember being overtaken by a courier truck while going uphill
Satki General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #2190
Arch-Supremacy Member

Maybe the locals know where the traffic police usually are, so they know where can chiong
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.