HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #2236

3k better. I spend around there for 2 pax. Various expenses like petrol, activities like sky dive bungy, causal dining, supermarket and whatnot. Note. Skydive for 1 pax not 2. But my skydive is about 800 so actually can be the price for 2 if u took cheaper and lower one.

eh. just realized that some of the activities I prebook using cc liao. so not inlcuded in the 3k also. like hell hike, Ms cruise.

Doesn't include car rental, hotel, etc.

But you don't really need 3k cash. Most of the stuff can be paid using cc. I changed to about 2k nzd and actually had alot left if I don't purposely use it. So I kept using then I left like 4-500.

so tldr; if you just want to cater for petrol food supermarket etc expenses exclude activities.. 1.5k should be good enough.
Yes, it is purely for petrol, food, casual dinner/lunch etc.
Car rental, camper site, MS cruise, Helihike, everything has been prebooked online using CC.

So i guess i will just change $2k NZD and $400 SGD as spare!
I assume we can find money changers in most towns?
circleheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #2237
Arch-Supremacy Member

Car rental, camper site, MS cruise, Helihike, everything has been prebooked online using CC.

I hardly see any money chargers, and even if have, i dunno if they accept SGD
$2k shld be sufficient lah, at most use credit card. A lot of tourist facilities accept unionpay, and alipay also
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #2238
Great Supremacy Member

2k should be more than enough. Even dining u also can use cc.. petrol also can cc.

So only market u use cash. Cc also possible I think. Lol.

Hardly need cash ba.

I never saw any changer. Think maybe need go bank ? Not sure about this.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #2239

Note that restaurants and cafe over there are not cheap. Try not to use cc as it may incurr foreign exchange fee.

There is a money changer just beside isite @ qtn. The owner is a msian if I rmb correctly.

Obviously you will spend less if you willing to cook everyday.2k nz + 400sgd shld be sufficient.
NoTimeToWaitAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #2240

Hi Guys,
Need some help!

I'm planning to go to Southern NZ in May and I'm currently looking at the options that are available for transportation.
My idea is book a motorhome.

There are plenty of options ranging from Jucy, Apollo, Hippie, Cheapa and so on. Any recommendations in terms of vehicle reliability, cost, and ease of service should anything happen.

Oh yah, I'm flying in to Christchurch and fly out the same way.

Thanks in advance
cwchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #2241

Hi Guys,
Need some help!

I'm planning to go to Southern NZ in May and I'm currently looking at the options that are available for transportation.

There are plenty of options ranging from Jucy, Apollo, Hippie, Cheapa and so on. Any recommendations in terms of vehicle reliability, cost, and ease of service should anything happen.

Thanks in advance
I suggest you go to rankers.co.nz website. They have review ratings for the various motorhome companies.
liemsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #2242

Hi Guys,
Need some help!

Thanks in advance
Never tried jucy but I've seen quite a number on the road.
NoTimeToWaitAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #2243
Arch-Supremacy Member

Does one usually opt for Roadside Cover? Thanks.

And from previous posts, petrol got to pay with cash? Any rough gauge on how much cash to set aside for petrol?

Last edited by winguy; 18-03-2018 at 06:31 PM..
winguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #2244
Great Supremacy Member

And from previous posts, petrol got to pay with cash? Any rough gauge on how much cash to set aside for petrol?
How much is the roadside cover? I can't rmb my tnc, I just get the full insurance. Don't rmb got roadside cover not or it's already included.

Petrol can pay with cc. Some smaller station got no pple. So self service and only payable via cc with pin. I never tried before cause I don't know my pin. Just fill up during day time.

my petrol about 400. travelled about 2200km or so I think? drove a vios or similar. can't rmb.

Last edited by BlackCube; 19-03-2018 at 12:18 AM..
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #2245
Arch-Supremacy Member

Roadside cover is for issues due to your own fault. It probably won't cost much even if you really need it I'm assuming.

Sent from OPPO X9076 using GAGT
angcsbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #2246
Arch-Supremacy Member

I did, coz it was my honeymoon and i didnt want any hiccups due to trying to save that few dollars a day.
Probably unnecessary though

I took zero excess also. Tt came in handy coz i went over a rock during parking. Front bumper area cracked. Luckily got zero excess... No question asked. Would have been a problem if need to settle the damage coz i got less than an hr to catch my domestic flight
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #2247
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yeah I think no excess plan is necessary for New Zealand. Thankfully nothing happened to my car cause I took the 2000$ excess plan, but I would had choose no excess if I went again.

Old 19-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #2248

I didn't take excess reduction when I rented my car and travelled from Auckland to Queenstown. However, I bought personal travel insurance, which provided some excess reduction.

If you really want excess reduction, buying travel insurance (which comes with excess reduction) is cheaper than buying from the car rental company.

I didn't buy roadside cover. Typically, no need for roadside cover as long as you keep your petrol tank filled.
yxerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #2249

I didnt take up any insurance coverage from the car rental company during my trip too. But my travel insurance does cover car rental albeit with an excess. I remember some of the travel insurance policies mentioned that we still need to take up insurance from the rental company. This is the part I find confusing. Luckily, except for a flat battery which a helpful staff from OGO helped jumpstart, I didn't encounter any car problem.
belgarathc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #2250
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, most travel insurance will only cover car rental when you have already taken those 0 excess plans. I always thought travel insurance would lessen my excess until my colleague told me otherwise.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.