HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2018, 12:41 AM   #2296
Arch-Supremacy Member

Use credit card there need pin? Eg patrol station, supermarket, restaurants. Thanks

And any advice on how much cash to bring per day?
winguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #2297
Great Supremacy Member

Use credit card there need pin? Eg patrol station, supermarket, restaurants. Thanks

And any advice on how much cash to bring per day?
People say sg one no pin. So if ask for pin just press enter and transaction should get through.

Usually they have signature one also la. Unless unattended petrol station that kind.

Go back a couple of pages and u will find info on spending cash. In short, u don't need alot of cash since most of the stuff can be paid using card.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #2298

I only encountered the need for pin at Mt Cook's petrol station which was unmanned.
belgarathc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #2299
Arch-Supremacy Member

I didnt encountered any tt require pin. But just to be safe, just remember ur pin loh
evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #2300

I didnt encountered any tt require pin. But just to be safe, just remember ur pin loh
Many places accept credit cards. Just tell them u want to sign, they will print for u to sign instead of keying in pin no. Credit card with pin no are needed mainly for unmanned petrol kiosks since no cashiers to process credit card with signature and u will need to key in pin no and pay before u can activate to pump petrol. Eg when the cashiers are off duty at night. Some small villages have unmanned petrol kiosks where the pin is needed too. To play safe, pump petrol when the cashiers are still open or ensure u have sufficient petrol to last thru the small town.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Careful Investor; 06-04-2018 at 08:28 PM..
Careful Investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 AM   #2301
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is the pin the same one as the cc atm pin?
Old 07-04-2018, 12:45 AM   #2302
Great Supremacy Member

Is the pin the same one as the cc atm pin?
Afaik, no.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #2303
Arch-Supremacy Member

Means our sg cc got no pin, hence cannot use unmanned petrol station?

Btw i need a guide on how to pump petrol in nz. Dont drive in sg.

Do you pump on your own or is there someone there to help you? After finished then go inside counter to pay?
Old 07-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #2304
Great Supremacy Member

Do you pump on your own or is there someone there to help you? After finished then go inside counter to pay?
Eh. I never tried the unmanned one before but got pass by before. And based on what others said.

Unmanned. Pump yourself and pay yourself. No pple is there except for other people that pumping petrol also. Payment by cc need pin. Sg cc no pin. But some have said just press enter and transaction will go through. No idea on this. So best to plan properly so won't go till unmanned one lo.

Manned. Pump yourself also but got counter to pay inside. Just like sg. Can pay by cc and sign.

Manned one some bigger town can open till as late as 11pm with manned counter. Won't have petrol problem ba. Just top to full whenever u leaving a town.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #2305

There is pin for sg cc. If you forgot then request for new one from the bank.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #2306

thanks for the head up .. just to check .. in kaikoura is there any must visit food place ?

You can try out their Crayfish (lobster) at $45 each, need advance reservation. I missed the chance as the restaurant was fully booked when we try to book on the day of arrival.
Tanwy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #2307

i tried the unmanned one before at fox glacier as it was after 5.

there is a kiosk at the side whereby you insert your cc and key in the pin. it will also ask you which pump your car is parked at. no deduction at this point.

then go back to your car and choose the petrol type you want. for me i always used the full tank option thus just press the "Fill" button and fill up your tank.

based on the amt of petrol you filled it will then charge the amt to the credit card.

btw if it is a touristy area there will likely be a queue at the kiosk cos alot of tourists do not have credit cards with pin and will be trying to figure out how to go abt it. i see some locals helping them out by offering their own cards and collecting cash in return.
raist85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #2308
Arch-Supremacy Member

There is pin for sg cc. If you forgot then request for new one from the bank.
So the pin for overseas cc transactions is the same as the sg atm pin?
Old 14-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #2309
Arch-Supremacy Member

i tried the unmanned one before at fox glacier as it was after 5.

there is a kiosk at the side whereby you insert your cc and key in the pin. it will also ask you which pump your car is parked at. no deduction at this point.

then go back to your car and choose the petrol type you want. for me i always used the full tank option thus just press the "Fill" button and fill up your tank.

based on the amt of petrol you filled it will then charge the amt to the credit card.

btw if it is a touristy area there will likely be a queue at the kiosk cos alot of tourists do not have credit cards with pin and will be trying to figure out how to go abt it. i see some locals helping them out by offering their own cards and collecting cash in return.
Thanks for your detailed reply. So is the pin same as our sg atm pin?

And is there like 95 98 there? Which should i choose? Or ask the car rental company? Thanks.
Old 14-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #2310
Arch-Supremacy Member

https://www.apexrentals.co.nz/rental...and-conditions

9. Petrol and Other Fuel

9.1*The hirer is responsible for the cost of fuel used during the hire.

9.2*If the hirer elects to take the fuel purchase option at the start of the hire, no refund is made for remaining fuel on return of the vehicle.

9.3*If the fuel purchase option has not been taken at the start of the hire, then the vehicle should be returned with a full tank. In the event that the vehicle is returned with less than a full tank a $25 refuelling surcharge applies. The hirer is absolutely liable for the cost to refuel the vehicle and the refuelling surcharge.

What is fuel purchase option and should i take it? Thanks
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.