HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #2356

Hi guys, would appreciate some feedback of my itinerary. A pretty high level one just marking the destinations. Will be touching down in Christchurch on the morning of 22 Oct.

In this doable? Or too sparse and I can squeeze in more visits? I completely left out the south coast (invercargill) and east coast (dunedin). Any die die must see places that I can squeeze in without compromising the overall experience?

22 Oct Day 1 Touchdown @ Christchurch (Stay Christchurch)
Day 2 Christchurch > Arthur's Pass > Greymouth (Stay Greymouth)
Day 3 Greymouth > Fox Glacier > Heli-hike (Stay Fox Glacier)
Day 4 Fox Glacier > Haast > Wanaka (Stay Wanaka)
Day 5 Wanaka to Queenstown > PWS (Stay Queenstown)
Day 6 Queenstown
Day 7 Queenstown to Teu Anau (stay TA)
Day 8 Teu Anau > Milford Sound (stay TA)
Day 9 Teu Anau > Hiking > Queenstown (stay Queenstown)
Day 10 Queenstown > Mount Cook (stay Mount Cook)
Day 11 Mount Cook - Hooker Valley (stay Mount Cook)
Day 12 Mount Cook > Lake Tekapo (stay Lake Tekapo)
Day 13 Lake Tekapo > Christchurch (stay Christchurch)
Day 14 Christchurch - Kaikoura Day Trip (stay Christchurch)
Day 15 Back to SG
proton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #2357

Anyone knows if 7 weeks for north and South Island is ok?
Should be able to cover all right?
GeraldineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #2358

@proton91,

good trip, imo, not too sparsely planned. 3-4 hours drive a day is good enough.

@Geraldine T,
if you are going to spend 7 weeks, of course you can cover both north and south island. You can go to places that the locals go and tourists seldom venture because of time and/or distance. There are plenty out there for you to explore.
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #2359

Hi guys, would appreciate some feedback of my itinerary. A pretty high level one just marking the destinations. Will be touching down in Christchurch on the morning of 22 Oct.

In this doable? Or too sparse and I can squeeze in more visits? I completely left out the south coast (invercargill) and east coast (dunedin). Any die die must see places that I can squeeze in without compromising the overall experience?

22 Oct Day 1 Touchdown @ Christchurch (Stay Christchurch)
Day 2 Christchurch > Arthur's Pass > Greymouth (Stay Greymouth)
Day 3 Greymouth > Fox Glacier > Heli-hike (Stay Fox Glacier)
Day 4 Fox Glacier > Haast > Wanaka (Stay Wanaka)
Day 5 Wanaka to Queenstown > PWS (Stay Queenstown)
Day 6 Queenstown
Day 7 Queenstown to Teu Anau (stay TA)
Day 8 Teu Anau > Milford Sound (stay TA)
Day 9 Teu Anau > Hiking > Queenstown (stay Queenstown)
Day 10 Queenstown > Mount Cook (stay Mount Cook)
Day 11 Mount Cook - Hooker Valley (stay Mount Cook)
Day 12 Mount Cook > Lake Tekapo (stay Lake Tekapo)
Day 13 Lake Tekapo > Christchurch (stay Christchurch)
Day 14 Christchurch - Kaikoura Day Trip (stay Christchurch)
Day 15 Back to SG
Can consider driving straight to FG/FJ from Christchurch. A bit long drive but doable and nothing much at Greymouth anyway. That gives you more chance of doing a heli hike since they tend to get canceled due to weather.
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #2360
Master Member

Greymouth drive less than 1 hour north is the Pancake Rocks. Worth the detour. Then drive via Greymouth to Franz Josef and then Fox Glacier.
Old 15-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #2361
Master Member

Anyone knows if 7 weeks for north and South Island is ok?
Should be able to cover all right?
7 weeks cover the whole country YES...
gumbokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #2362
Master Member

Planning for nz feels so intimidating...really don't know where to start! Been 15 years since I last went. Any tips and ideas?
gumbokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #2363

Any Skydiving recommendation at Queenstown?
xiaohuiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #2364

Hi guys, how much do you think is a comfortable budget for 7-8 days self drive travel to NZ for 2 adults? I know budget is really subjective. But lets say on average for 1 week of sightseeing travel+ air fare+ lodging (not inclusive of attractions enterance if applicable)
mngedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #2365
Great Supremacy Member

Hi guys, how much do you think is a comfortable budget for 7-8 days self drive travel to NZ for 2 adults? I know budget is really subjective. But lets say on average for 1 week of sightseeing travel+ air fare+ lodging (not inclusive of attractions enterance if applicable)
daily Expenses maybe 800? Or less if u cook more.
Car rental probably 5-600?
Lodging 100-150 per night? for normal motel type. Can cook yourself to save more.
Air ticket not too sure. Depending whether got promo and the airline u take. Say 1k per pax.

So exclude attraction and activities.. 4k+ Abit. but I think 4k should be doable?
Activities see what u want to do.. can add up to quite Abit.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #2366
Master Member

Hi. Planning a trip to NZ south island next year.

Understand that Peak period should be Dec - Feb as it is summer over there, May i know when is the cheapest time to go? In term of car rental cost and accommodation. I will be self driving and not willing to drive in the snowy winter.

Mar-Apr ?
or Sept Oct
or May/Aug?
winningeleven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #2367
Master Member

Hi. Me also planning to self drive there. I have never been to NZ but from what i observed. The typical normal airfare from SG to South island such as Christchurch is at least $1.3k per pax and Queentown is much more . One of the cheapest afre i seen is $788 that is to the north, Wellington at $788 by air NZ. Another "cheap" way is to fly to Melbourne at the cheapest fare,Then fly to Christchurch from there.

I feel Accommodation is not really very cheap. A good decent still cost at $100-120 and above. Car rental for 9-10 days by Apex at least $500.

I am not into heli hike as i have been to the glacier in iceland , tandem skydiving, bungee jump and flying fox type as i no longer young. Therefore i can actually save a lot cost from it. If mainly stick to sight seeing and scenery. My estimation is about $6k for 2 pax all inclusive.
Old 20-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #2368
Great Supremacy Member

Hi. Planning a trip to NZ south island next year.

Understand that Peak period should be Dec - Feb as it is summer over there, May i know when is the cheapest time to go? In term of car rental cost and accommodation. I will be self driving and not willing to drive in the snowy winter.

Mar-Apr ?
or Sept Oct
or May/Aug?
If i were to guess, maybe mar-apr period? others probably have better answer.
Old 20-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #2369
Great Supremacy Member

Hi. Me also planning to self drive there. I have never been to NZ but from what i observed. The typical normal airfare from SG to South island such as Christchurch is at least $1.3k per pax and Queentown is much more . One of the cheapest afre i seen is $788 that is to the north, Wellington at $788 by air NZ. Another "cheap" way is to fly to Melbourne at the cheapest fare,Then fly to Christchurch from there.

I feel Accommodation is not really very cheap. A good decent still cost at $100-120 and above. Car rental for 9-10 days by Apex at least $500.

I am not into heli hike as i have been to the glacier in iceland , tandem skydiving, bungee jump and flying fox type as i no longer young. Therefore i can actually save a lot cost from it. If mainly stick to sight seeing and scenery. My estimation is about $6k for 2 pax all inclusive.
you're right.. without expense activities, i think 5-6k should be ok.. alot depends on how much u can get the air ticket as well..
Old 20-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #2370
Master Member

If i were to guess, maybe mar-apr period? others probably have better answer.
I thought the cheapest time is June jul winter season . Then i read somewhere it is a ski season and demand for accommodation is high too. But then even it is cheap to travel that period. I also don't want too..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.