HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #2371

If i were to guess, maybe mar-apr period? others probably have better answer.
I concur with this. I went in May last year, very little cars on the road but it was beginning to snow. Mar-Apr should be good
shengsiongallforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #2372
Supremacy Member

I concur with this. I went in May last year, very little cars on the road but it was beginning to snow. Mar-Apr should be good
Mind to share which city was snow last year May? I am going next year May, need to get ready for this
greenhse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #2373
Supremacy Member

Just came back from South Island. Drove to Paradise from Glenorchy - ulu small area with nothing but sheep and mountains
Old 24-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #2374
Supremacy Member

Hi,isit possible to explore New Zealand on buses and trains, and without driving? As I dun hve driving license and can't drive...
jeffrey745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #2375
Great Supremacy Member

Hi,isit possible to explore New Zealand on buses and trains, and without driving? As I dun hve driving license and can't drive...
I think it was as mentioned before to that it is possible but certain place might be tricky. You gonna try to get hitchhiking also.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #2376
Master Member

i cannot imagine doing a South island loop on public buses/coaches. Never seen any. Tour coaches yes.
Old 24-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #2377
Master Member

i cannot imagine doing a South island loop on public buses/coaches. Never seen any. Tour coaches yes.
back in 1998, we backpacked and took coaches and trains. it was fun. the trans coastal line is down though, from earthquake damage.
gumbokins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #2378
Supremacy Member

I think it was as mentioned before to that it is possible but certain place might be tricky. You gonna try to get hitchhiking also.
Thanks. I will look thru this forum for my research.
jeffrey745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #2379

Mind to share which city was snow last year May? I am going next year May, need to get ready for this
South Island - Te Anau and the route towards milford sound. There was a hail storm when I was at Bluff too
Old 26-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #2380
Supremacy Member

South Island - Te Anau and the route towards milford sound. There was a hail storm when I was at Bluff too
Oops the places (Te Anau, Milford Sound and Bluff) you mentioned I expect to reach in first week of Jun.

So did you put on the snow chain on the tyre?
greenhse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #2381

Oops the places (Te Anau, Milford Sound and Bluff) you mentioned I expect to reach in first week of Jun.

So did you put on the snow chain on the tyre?
It was light snow so I didn't need the snow chains. Just have to be careful of black ice.

Here are some pics

Old 03-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #2382

Looks okay if your travelling pace is very slow and relaxed (e.g. you typically start the day late, you spend 2 hours chilling at a restaurant for lunch, etc). Otherwise, I think your itinerary is do-able in 7 or 8 days. Can consider this website for ideas on where to go.

I did the 5 hours drive to Wellington as well. On hindsight, I'll still go to Wellington. Hope this helps.

Edit: forgot to mention that you can consider the trilogy attractions package (experiencethetrilogy.com). It looks like you are going to all 3 attractions anyways. Buying the trilogy should save you some money.
Hi yxerin, thanks for your input!
Yes, prefer slower pace as we're traveling with our 3 years old. I also try to plan at least 2N overfor one place to minimize packing/unpacking our luggage's everyday.

Thanks for the tips on trilogy package!!

Sorry have to remove the link if not I cant reply!!
axelim.sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #2383

@axelim.sg,

what is your purpose of going to NZ? At the rate you are driving, you will be tired, died tired.

Auckland trip - Auckland is not the right place for dolphins and whale watching. Don't waste your money.

If you want to see Hobbiton and Waitomo, I recommend stay one night in Hamilton to see both. Waitomo is nice, but it is a long drive from Rotorua.

Taupo to Tongariro and back to Taupo, you will be tired. I suggest on Day 8, either stay in Ohakune or Taihape. There is no way, you can take 5 hours to drive from Taupo via Palmerston North to Wellington. Going to Palmerston North is a big detour.

Then your drive to Wellington will be shorter. On the way to Wellington, just about 30 minutes from Samson, there is a Honey factory you can visit.

When you are in Wellington, forgot about the Picton crossing. That is a 7 hour journey to and fro. Unless you want to stay overnight in Picton. Then it is ok.

You can depart from Wellington using SQ. They stop over in Melbourne. That train from Auckland to Wellington could be interesting. But, with your 3 year old, I will not recommend the trip.

If you like wines and visit vineyard, then drive from Taupo to Napier/hasting and spend time there. Forget about Wellington.
Hi angy, thanks for your input. I thought what I plan is already a relax trip, I must be wrong.

Good qns on the purpose to visit NZ. I suppose it's my dream ever since LOTR. It's not possible until recently due to budget and time requirement.

Before posting here, I struggle between North, South or both. I eventually give up South because of my 3 years old.

I'll replan my itinerary before posting here for review again.
axelim.sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #2384
Master Member

probably been asked before, but what's a good insurance plan for NZ? Driving + campervan, 15 days, not planning to do any extreme sports stuff.
gumbokins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #2385

probably been asked before, but what's a good insurance plan for NZ? Driving + campervan, 15 days, not planning to do any extreme sports stuff.
This might be of some interest for you.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g255116-i729-k11820917-Camper_Insurance_confusion-South_Island.html
gumbokins likes this.
liemsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.