HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 AM   #2386

overall i think ur itinerary is too packed. need to account for the time needed to drive from place to place, and for breaks in between long drives. and also take note of wat time it gets dark. will be safer to stick to driving in the daytime.

for example, day 7 u are driving from queenstown to milford sound. that is already a 4hrs drive, excluding breaks and sightseeing. milford sound cruise is 2-3 hours, and u still need to travel from milford sound back to te anau which is about 2 hours. quite difficult to squeeze all this into a day, and u wun have time to stop for sightseeing along the way.

if u dun have plans for anything in te anau, i suggest taking a day package for milford sounds from queenstown. that will save u quite a bit of time, and u can relax during the journey.

day 12 is going to be very tiring also. wanaka to fox glacier is at least 3+ hrs drive. it took me almost the whole day, stopping for lunch and sightseeing. if u going to visit lake wanaka and roy's peak, u probably can only set off from wanaka around noon. so by the time u reach fox glacier, it is already evening. wun have time for doing any sightseeing in fox glacier or franz josef glacier

my advice will be to take things easy and space out ur trip more. NZ is meant to be enjoyed at a leisure pace, to relax and immerse urself in nature

Thanks for the advice! Will rework the itinerary, most likely removing Waitomo, Wellington and Dunedin.
Between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier, do we have to visit both? Or just one will do? Is it recommended to stay at FG/FJG?

Have you done skydiving too? Any recommendation? Thanks!
foodieeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:55 AM   #2387

I think too ambitious to go North and South in 2 weeks. U probably spend more time travelling than doing any other thing.

2 weeks alone in the south doing standard loop also pretty rush Liao.

If u haven't book anything yet than I think best to replan everything again. Like the post above, consider the time needed to travel, rest, lunch, taking photo, sight seeing.
Unless u intend to drive without stopping at all, u need to add 30-90min to the timing provided by Google..

Personally, I do drive at night sometimes but it all depends on your comfort level.. and the area that u will be driving in.
Thanks for the advice! So far only flights from SIN-AKL and CHC-SIN are booked. The others are not booked yet.
Will rework the itinerary, most likely removing Waitomo, Wellington and Dunedin. Should we remove Coromandel too? since it's quite out of the way.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:02 AM   #2388

Hi. Me also planning to self drive there. I have never been to NZ but from what i observed. The typical normal airfare from SG to South island such as Christchurch is at least $1.3k per pax and Queentown is much more . One of the cheapest afre i seen is $788 that is to the north, Wellington at $788 by air NZ. Another "cheap" way is to fly to Melbourne at the cheapest fare,Then fly to Christchurch from there.

I feel Accommodation is not really very cheap. A good decent still cost at $100-120 and above. Car rental for 9-10 days by Apex at least $500.

I am not into heli hike as i have been to the glacier in iceland , tandem skydiving, bungee jump and flying fox type as i no longer young. Therefore i can actually save a lot cost from it. If mainly stick to sight seeing and scenery. My estimation is about $6k for 2 pax all inclusive.

I'll be travelling in group of 4pax, and is deciding between renting campervan to stay overnight at campsites/holiday parks or renting normal car + stay in airbnbs. Which option will you be doing?

For flights, managed to get SIN-SYD via scoot, SYD-AKL via jetstar, CHC-SIN via emirates at less than $1k per pax during promo.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #2389
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the advice! Will rework the itinerary, most likely removing Waitomo, Wellington and Dunedin.
Between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier, do we have to visit both? Or just one will do? Is it recommended to stay at FG/FJG?

i stayed 2 nights in FJG but it was only 1 full day there coz it took almost the whole day to drive from wanaka to FJG so only reach in the evening. and i had to leave early in morning on the 3rd day coz needed to drive all the way to christchurch.

i did helihike at FJG and it took half a day. so i only had time to visit the mirror lake near fox glacier after tt and didnt really go hike to fox glacier itself

i didnt do skydriving. but regardless whether skydriving or helihike, both are very dependent of weather conditions. so it will be good if u can cater more days there, so u can buffer for bad weather.

my plan for 2 nights is such that if i cant do helihike on day 2, day 3 morning will be my backup, then i will drop some of the places that i planned between FJG and christchurch.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #2390

Nowadays the terminal face of these glaciers have receded so far there's not really much to see any more. But the walk up to the glaciers can be enjoyable and scenic. Just do either or both if time allows. The skydive at Fox is nice, with fantastic views of the snow capped mountains on one side and the ocean on the other.
hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #2391

i stayed 2 nights in FJG but it was only 1 full day there coz it took almost the whole day to drive from wanaka to FJG so only reach in the evening. and i had to leave early in morning on the 3rd day coz needed to drive all the way to christchurch.

i did helihike at FJG and it took half a day. so i only had time to visit the mirror lake near fox glacier after tt and didnt really go hike to fox glacier itself

i didnt do skydriving. but regardless whether skydriving or helihike, both are very dependent of weather conditions. so it will be good if u can cater more days there, so u can buffer for bad weather.

my plan for 2 nights is such that if i cant do helihike on day 2, day 3 morning will be my backup, then i will drop some of the places that i planned between FJG and christchurch.
Do you purchase online the Helihike ? or went there straight ?
igarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #2392

Hi,

I will be going to NZ in late Nov for 10 days. As it is a short trip, I will be flying direct to Queenstown. What are the places to visit around Queenstown? Going to tour on a leisurely pace.

TIA
jywy2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #2393
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do you purchase online the Helihike ? or went there straight ?
Yah, purchase online in advance. Dun want to take the risk of not getting a slot.
If u already booked and the helihike canceled, they will try to reschedule u

Sent from Sony G8342 using GAGT
evilerniex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #2394

Yah, purchase online in advance. Dun want to take the risk of not getting a slot.

oh ok. Planning to spent 2 night there just in case.
igarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #2395

Which tours you guys took ?

I notice there are at least 2 companies, helicopter line and franz Josef glacier guides
Old 14-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #2396
Arch-Supremacy Member

Which tours you guys took ?

I notice there are at least 2 companies, helicopter line and franz Josef glacier guides
Mine was Franz Josef glacier guides. They are located within town area, so a bit more convenient

Old 14-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #2397

Mine was Franz Josef glacier guides. They are located within town area, so a bit more convenient

I notice helicopter line is also along main road. Cheaper but does not include the hot pool.

Do we really spend 3 hours on the ice ? If let’s say I urgently need to use the toilet, how ?
Old 14-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #2398
Arch-Supremacy Member

I notice helicopter line is also along main road. Cheaper but does not include the hot pool.

Do we really spend 3 hours on the ice ? If let’s say I urgently need to use the toilet, how ?
Actually the hot pool nothing much. Just a good to have, but really optional.

Need to go toilet before going for the helihike.
There is no toilet once u are up there.

Old 14-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #2399

Actually the hot pool nothing much. Just a good to have, but really optional.

Need to go toilet before going for the helihike.
There is no toilet once u are up there.

The hotpool has time limit ?
Old 14-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #2400
Arch-Supremacy Member

The hotpool has time limit ?
No time limit

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.