Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #2401

No time limit

Sent from Sony G8342 using GAGT
Oh I see, Thanks!
Old 15-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #2402
Great Supremacy Member

I notice helicopter line is also along main road. Cheaper but does not include the hot pool.

Do we really spend 3 hours on the ice ? If let’s say I urgently need to use the toilet, how ?
Go before. Try not to think about it when up there and pray for the best.
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #2403
Master Member

activities at Franz Josef and Fox Glacier are subjective to weather. If staying 1 night, better pray for the best.
Old 16-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #2404

activities at Franz Josef and Fox Glacier are subjective to weather. If staying 1 night, better pray for the best.
Heard so too. But problem is that there doesn’t seem to be much to do there. Assuming heli is cancelled any suggestions for other activities ?
Old 16-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #2405
Arch-Supremacy Member

Heard so too. But problem is that there doesn’t seem to be much to do there. Assuming heli is cancelled any suggestions for other activities ?
Quite a lot of things to do!
Lake Matheson is nice. Can spend 1-2hrs for a hike ard the lake, then relax at the Cafe there.
There are also many hiking trails in the area. Can hike to the face of the glacier if the helihike canceled

evilerniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #2406
Master Member

walk one round of Lake Matheson cannot even take 2 hours. But water not as what people think. No mirror surface as rather windy when I was there.

Quite a lot of things to do!
Lake Matheson is nice. Can spend 1-2hrs for a hike ard the lake, then relax at the Cafe there.
There are also many hiking trails in the area. Can hike to the face of the glacier if the helihike canceled

Old 16-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #2407
Master Member

When I looked out the window that morning, all was fine. Told my wife, let’s go! When back from helicopter, dark clouds came in and everything was cancelled thereafter. Hence, depends on your luck.

Old 19-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #2408

Hi everyone, booked a flight to Christchurch for 2 weeks plus in mid December.

Anyone with experience of booking a campervan in December? Can advise if I need to pre book a powered site every day since it is peak period? Or it would be easy to drive ard and Check into any powered sites?
kentona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #2409
Great Supremacy Member

Anyone with experience of booking a campervan in December? Can advise if I need to pre book a powered site every day since it is peak period? Or it would be easy to drive ard and Check into any powered sites?
Campervan in December is damn expensive.

There's app for the booking of camp site. Can't rmb the app name.

The rest let others answer
BlackCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #2410

I'm trying to book mine for Nov and many vehicles are unavailable / 'sold out' for the dates.
the pricing is already hiked up alot! 2.5k to 3k for 9 days. Now considering if we should take the older models (2004-2007?) available at cheaper rates, but risk wear & tear or breakdowns... :/

Download the app called 'campermate' - it gives you details of various different types of campsites (also petrol stations, dumping grounds, etc) and whether booking is required or not, for the holiday park accom n powered sites esp

Last edited by tulipkiss; 21-08-2018 at 09:54 AM..
tulipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #2411

Yup December very ex.
Previously someone in this forum shared rankers.co.nz. Can use that to search also.

I'm trying to book mine for Nov and many vehicles are unavailable / 'sold out' for the dates.
the pricing is already hiked up alot! 2.5k to 3k for 9 days. Now considering if we should take the older models (2004-2007?) available at cheaper rates, but risk wear & tear or breakdowns... :/

Download the app called 'campermate' - it gives you details of various different types of campsites (also petrol stations, dumping grounds, etc) and whether booking is required or not, for the holiday park accom n powered sites esp
Old 21-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #2412
Master Member

i booked my campervan for dec almost 1 mth ago. we lucked out to find a big one for 1 week, most rental coys we asked had only smaller ones or minimum rental for 2 weeks

i booked Top 10 holiday parks at North Island, on tripadvisor they did suggest to book asap. NZ school hols start 20th Dec onwards. if you are more rugged, they have the free DOC (national parks) sites. was recommended Campable app.
gumbokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #2413

You are heading to the north and how Long are you staying? You booked holiday Parks for Everyday??

i booked my campervan for dec almost 1 mth ago. we lucked out to find a big one for 1 week, most rental coys we asked had only smaller ones or minimum rental for 2 weeks

i booked Top 10 holiday parks at North Island, on tripadvisor they did suggest to book asap. NZ school hols start 20th Dec onwards. if you are more rugged, they have the free DOC (national parks) sites. was recommended Campable app.
Old 22-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #2414
Master Member

You are heading to the north and how Long are you staying? You booked holiday Parks for Everyday??
just 1 week...and yes I booked for each night because have parents and kids so need some degree of comfort and more importantly, showers and laundry lol

before that 8 days in South but driving + motel
gumbokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #2415

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be spending 15 days in South Island for our honeymoon from 29th Oct to 13th Nov. I was wondering if I can get some of your views on the draft itinerary below? It will be a self-drive trip and we are currently deciding between Apex and GO Rentals - Does anyone have any experience with them?

29th Oct -> Christchurch
30th Oct -> Drive to Greymouth via Arthurs' Pass - Visit Pancake rocks (Stay 1 night @ Greymouth)
31st Oct -> Drive to Hokitika Gorge - Visit Lake Kaniere/Mahinapua then drive to Franz Josef Glacier (Stay 1 night @ Fox Glacier)
1st Nov -> Helihike at Fox Glacier then drive to Gate of Haast - Penguin watching at Monro Beach/Lake Moeraki -> Drive to Wanaka (Stay 1 night @ Wanaka)
2nd Nov -> Drive to Te Anau (Stay 1 night @ Te Anau)
3rd Nov -> Drive to Milford Sound then back to Te Anau (Stay 1 night @ Te Anau)
Question - Should I drive back to Te Anau or straight to Queenstown after Milford Sound?

4/5/6th Nov -> Drive to Queenstown (Spend 3 nights @ Queenstown)
7th Nov -> Drive to Aoraki Mount Cook (Spend 1 night @ Mount Cook)
8th Nov -> Drive to Lake Tekapo (Spend 1night @ Lake Tekapo)
9th Nov -> Drive to Fairlie - Visit Gem Alpaca Farm then drive to Christchurch (Spend 1 night at Christchurch)
10th Nov -> Drive to Kaikoura - Visit Waipara Valley/Boat cruise/Peninsula Walkway (Spend 1 night at Kaikoura)
11th Nov -> Drive back to Christchurch

I have nothing planned for 11th/12th November before my flight back on 13th. Are there any recommendations on places to visit/stay please? It's our first time to NZ and would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you!
eastmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.