HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Back from South island New Zealand

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #2416
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be spending 15 days in South Island for our honeymoon from 29th Oct to 13th Nov. I was wondering if I can get some of your views on the draft itinerary below? It will be a self-drive trip and we are currently deciding between Apex and GO Rentals - Does anyone have any experience with them?

29th Oct -> Christchurch
30th Oct -> Drive to Greymouth via Arthurs' Pass - Visit Pancake rocks (Stay 1 night @ Greymouth)
31st Oct -> Drive to Hokitika Gorge - Visit Lake Kaniere/Mahinapua then drive to Franz Josef Glacier (Stay 1 night @ Fox Glacier)
1st Nov -> Helihike at Fox Glacier then drive to Gate of Haast - Penguin watching at Monro Beach/Lake Moeraki -> Drive to Wanaka (Stay 1 night @ Wanaka)
2nd Nov -> Drive to Te Anau (Stay 1 night @ Te Anau)
3rd Nov -> Drive to Milford Sound then back to Te Anau (Stay 1 night @ Te Anau)
Question - Should I drive back to Te Anau or straight to Queenstown after Milford Sound?

4/5/6th Nov -> Drive to Queenstown (Spend 3 nights @ Queenstown)
7th Nov -> Drive to Aoraki Mount Cook (Spend 1 night @ Mount Cook)
8th Nov -> Drive to Lake Tekapo (Spend 1night @ Lake Tekapo)
9th Nov -> Drive to Fairlie - Visit Gem Alpaca Farm then drive to Christchurch (Spend 1 night at Christchurch)
10th Nov -> Drive to Kaikoura - Visit Waipara Valley/Boat cruise/Peninsula Walkway (Spend 1 night at Kaikoura)
11th Nov -> Drive back to Christchurch

I have nothing planned for 11th/12th November before my flight back on 13th. Are there any recommendations on places to visit/stay please? It's our first time to NZ and would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you!
Ur 1 Nov itinerary is going to be very rush. Helihike will take u half a day. And the drive from FJG takes 5hrs without any breaks. So even without penguin watching, it is already going to be tight.
I suggest staying another night in FJG, so that u can have buffer for the helihike also, in case it gets delayed due to weather.

For Christchurch, I did the hot air balloon. Very memorable for my last day in NZ

Sent from Sony G8342 using GAGT
evilerniex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 11:52 PM   #2417
Master Member

And the drive from FJG to Wanaka, you would be stopping a few times along the Haast Pass for sure places like Blue Pools.
Old 22-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #2418
Master Member

For Queenstown, should allocate one day for Glenorchy. Horse riding. And the scenery is.....
Old 23-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #2419

i booked my campervan for dec almost 1 mth ago. we lucked out to find a big one for 1 week, most rental coys we asked had only smaller ones or minimum rental for 2 weeks

i booked Top 10 holiday parks at North Island, on tripadvisor they did suggest to book asap. NZ school hols start 20th Dec onwards. if you are more rugged, they have the free DOC (national parks) sites. was recommended Campable app.
just 1 week...and yes I booked for each night because have parents and kids so need some degree of comfort and more importantly, showers and laundry lol

before that 8 days in South but driving + motel

which company and campervan did you book?
tulipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #2420

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be spending 15 days in South Island for our honeymoon from 29th Oct to 13th Nov. I was wondering if I can get some of your views on the draft itinerary below? It will be a self-drive trip and we are currently deciding between Apex and GO Rentals - Does anyone have any experience with them?

29th Oct -> Christchurch
30th Oct -> Drive to Greymouth via Arthurs' Pass - Visit Pancake rocks (Stay 1 night @ Greymouth)
31st Oct -> Drive to Hokitika Gorge - Visit Lake Kaniere/Mahinapua then drive to Franz Josef Glacier (Stay 1 night @ Fox Glacier)
1st Nov -> Helihike at Fox Glacier then drive to Gate of Haast - Penguin watching at Monro Beach/Lake Moeraki -> Drive to Wanaka (Stay 1 night @ Wanaka)
2nd Nov -> Drive to Te Anau (Stay 1 night @ Te Anau)
3rd Nov -> Drive to Milford Sound then back to Te Anau (Stay 1 night @ Te Anau)
Question - Should I drive back to Te Anau or straight to Queenstown after Milford Sound?

4/5/6th Nov -> Drive to Queenstown (Spend 3 nights @ Queenstown)
7th Nov -> Drive to Aoraki Mount Cook (Spend 1 night @ Mount Cook)
8th Nov -> Drive to Lake Tekapo (Spend 1night @ Lake Tekapo)
9th Nov -> Drive to Fairlie - Visit Gem Alpaca Farm then drive to Christchurch (Spend 1 night at Christchurch)
10th Nov -> Drive to Kaikoura - Visit Waipara Valley/Boat cruise/Peninsula Walkway (Spend 1 night at Kaikoura)
11th Nov -> Drive back to Christchurch

I have nothing planned for 11th/12th November before my flight back on 13th. Are there any recommendations on places to visit/stay please? It's our first time to NZ and would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you!
yeah, I agree to cater more time for FJG and Fox glacier since the heli hike is weather dependent.

depending on what you like.. for the last 2 days, can visit:
Hanmer thermal springs 'near' CHC or Akaroa to see seal colony or Te Waikoropupu springs at nelson
Old 23-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #2421

Hello all, appreciate comments and advice on the itinerary below for a campervan trip.
Going in Nov. Daylight is about 630am-830pm.

Day 1 Touch down 2pm. Collect campervan. Grocery shopping. Camp at Amberley Beach.

Day 2 Hanmer Springs. Paparoa National Park (optional). Pancake Rocks. Camp at Punakaiki beach.

Day 3 Arthur's Pass / Lake Pearson / Kura Tawhiti. Lake Kaniere / Hokitika Gorge. Camp at Hokitika.

Day 4 Fox heli hike (backup plan: FJG glacier walk). Camp at Fox / FJG.

Day 5 Buffer for Fox heli hike (backup plan: FJG glacier walk). Go to Aoraki Mount Cook village via Wanaka / Haast Pass. Stargazing tour. Camp Mount Cook area.

Day 6 Hooker Valley track. Go to Lake Tekapo. Camp at Lake Tekapo area.

Day 7 Go to Queenstown Airport to exchange campervan for car. Bob's cove track. Gondola. Luge. Sunset? More stargazing? Accom at Queenstown.

Day 8 Queenstown ziptrek. Go to Wanaka. Accom at Wanaka.

Day 9 Roy's Peak hike 2am-9am. Rest. Go to CHC with rest stops along the way. Accom at CHC.

Day 10 Go to CHC airport 7am.

-----------------------------------------------

There's a 'detour' on Day 7 back to QTN because we want to go back to that area to hike Roy's Peak. The Roy's Peak track is only opened on Day 9 onwards.

Slight detour on Day 3 to AP as well... not sure if it's worth it?

We will change to a car on Day 7 so that we can then return the car at the CHC airport at early hours before flight (can't return a campervan before 8am).

Last edited by tulipkiss; 23-08-2018 at 02:21 PM..
Old 23-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #2422
Supremacy Member

For Queenstown, should allocate one day for Glenorchy. Horse riding. And the scenery is.....
Can drive to Paradise from Glenorchy as well.
Old 23-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #2423
Master Member

Day 3 is a detour. Most people drive to/from Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass.

Day 5 is impossible. A whole day driving.

Hello all, appreciate comments and advice on the itinerary below for a campervan trip.
Going in Nov. Daylight is about 630am-830pm.

Day 1 Touch down 2pm. Collect campervan. Grocery shopping. Camp at Amberley Beach.

Day 2 Hanmer Springs. Paparoa National Park (optional). Pancake Rocks. Camp at Punakaiki beach.

Day 3 Arthur's Pass / Lake Pearson / Kura Tawhiti. Lake Kaniere / Hokitika Gorge. Camp at Hokitika.

Day 4 Fox heli hike (backup plan: FJG glacier walk). Camp at Fox / FJG.

Day 5 Buffer for Fox heli hike (backup plan: FJG glacier walk). Go to Aoraki Mount Cook village via Wanaka / Haast Pass. Stargazing tour. Camp Mount Cook area.

Day 6 Hooker Valley track. Go to Lake Tekapo. Camp at Lake Tekapo area.

Day 7 Go to Queenstown Airport to exchange campervan for car. Bob's cove track. Gondola. Luge. Sunset? More stargazing? Accom at Queenstown.

Day 8 Queenstown ziptrek. Go to Wanaka. Accom at Wanaka.

Day 9 Roy's Peak hike 2am-9am. Rest. Go to CHC with rest stops along the way. Accom at CHC.

Day 10 Go to CHC airport 7am.

-----------------------------------------------

There's a 'detour' on Day 7 back to QTN because we want to go back to that area to hike Roy's Peak. The Roy's Peak track is only opened on Day 9 onwards.

Slight detour on Day 3 to AP as well... not sure if it's worth it?

We will change to a car on Day 7 so that we can then return the car at the CHC airport at early hours before flight (can't return a campervan before 8am).
Old 23-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #2424
Master Member

which company and campervan did you book?
Kiwi Motorhomes, a 6 berther
gumbokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #2425

Day 3 is a detour. Most people drive to/from Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass.

Day 5 is impossible. A whole day driving.
Yes like i mentioned, there is 'slight detour on Day 3 to AP as well... not sure if it's worth it?' becos we won’t pass by AP if we are going to Hanmer Springs and then punakaiki from there.. we may play by ear on that day, if don't feel like driving, then guess we'll skip AP.

For day 5, if we have done the heli hike, we can start out earlier. If need to activate the morning for heli hike:
1pm Drive to Haast Pass. Spend half hour at Haast Pass.
430pm Drive to Lake Wanaka. Spend half hour at Lake Wanaka (just a rest stop as there is Wanaka on Day 8)
530pm Drive to accom at Twizel / Pukaki area. Check-in for the night.

How does that sound? Again, can play by ear. If we cannot make it in time, will camp at wanaka area instead..

Last edited by tulipkiss; 23-08-2018 at 05:09 PM..
Old 23-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #2426

Kiwi Motorhomes, a 6 berther
icic! hope you can review on Kiwi motorhomes and the vehicle after the trip can't seem to find enough (non-sponsored) Singaporeans' reviews of campervans
Old 23-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #2427
Master Member

i think you have no idea of the distance. I also left Haast Pass at 1pm and reached Wanaka at 6pm. And you are driving a camper van; definitely not as fast.

Not sure what attracts you to Hanmer Springs; most go to Greymouth from Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass. Anyway to each his own. And it is not a
“slight” detour.

Yes like i mentioned, there is 'slight detour on Day 3 to AP as well... not sure if it's worth it?' becos we won’t pass by AP if we are going to Hanmer Springs and then punakaiki from there.. we may play by ear on that day, if don't feel like driving, then guess we'll skip AP.

For day 5, if we have done the heli hike, we can start out earlier. If need to activate the morning for heli hike:
1pm Drive to Haast Pass. Spend half hour at Haast Pass.
430pm Drive to Lake Wanaka. Spend half hour at Lake Wanaka (just a rest stop as there is Wanaka on Day 8)
530pm Drive to accom at Twizel / Pukaki area. Check-in for the night.

How does that sound? Again, can play by ear. If we cannot make it in time, will camp at wanaka area instead..
Old 23-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #2428

i think you have no idea of the distance. I also left Haast Pass at 1pm and reached Wanaka at 6pm. And you are driving a camper van; definitely not as fast.

Not sure what attracts you to Hanmer Springs; most go to Greymouth from Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass. Anyway to each his own. And it is not a
“slight” detour.
Yeah I admit I have no idea - was following Google Maps..the journey duration estimated for Haast Pass to Wanaka is 1hr 5min. You took 5hours (1-6pm), does that mean we have to multiply the google maps' estimated timing by 4-5 in NZ?

I do see that most people go to the AP from CHC or vice versa from Greymouth, do u think there are any ways I can possibly slot that into my itinerary? Otherwise we should be skipping it..

Last edited by tulipkiss; 23-08-2018 at 07:08 PM..
Old 23-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #2429
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yeah I admit I have no idea - was following Google Maps..the journey duration estimated for Haast Pass to Wanaka is 1hr 5min. You took 5hours (1-6pm), does that mean we have to multiply the google maps' estimated timing by 4-5 in NZ?

I do see that most people go to the AP from CHC or vice versa from Greymouth, do u think there are any ways I can possibly slot that into my itinerary? Otherwise we should be skipping it..
I would suggest u stay a night in wanaka instead of heading to Mt Cook, coz it is almost impossible to cover that great a distance, especially if u still have helihike in the morning.
Depending on the weather and the slot u booked, the helihike may drag pass noon. My 9am slot started close to 10 as the earlier slot was delayed. Coming back was also delayed coz have to wait for helicopter at the glacier. Ended way pass noon, and still need to go lunch.

I took almost the whole day to drive from wanaka to FJG, with a few stops in between for sightseeing. Reaching in the evening

evilerniex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #2430

I would suggest u stay a night in wanaka instead of heading to Mt Cook, coz it is almost impossible to cover that great a distance, especially if u still have helihike in the morning.
Depending on the weather and the slot u booked, the helihike may drag pass noon. My 9am slot started close to 10 as the earlier slot was delayed. Coming back was also delayed coz have to wait for helicopter at the glacier. Ended way pass noon, and still need to go lunch.

I took almost the whole day to drive from wanaka to FJG, with a few stops in between for sightseeing. Reaching in the evening

Icic! Ok will plan to stay at Wanaka area instead, thanks!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.